“Nicely appointed and well positioned”
Review of Ninos Hotel Fierro

Ninos Hotel Fierro
Ranked #45 of 167 Hotels in Cusco
Brisbane, Queensland
“Nicely appointed and well positioned”
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

Hotel Niños II (Fierro) is the second iteration of the Tripadvisor star Hotel Niños Meloc. We were moved to Fierro due to renovations occurring at Meloc and I understand they're comparable.

Don't be fooled by the somewhat scary look of the tiny alley/street this hotel is located on, upon opening that door you'll find a courtyard oasis and sweetly appointed rooms that are very clean. We were lucky enough to score a room with a double and a single bed, for the double-occupancy rate. Perhaps this was due to my mentioning the Honeymoon word but regardless my husband and I were very comfortable.

The bathroom is spacious and the shower is huge, water is hot and good pressure (you have your own hot water heater so you use it up its your own fault!). The plumbing is extremely sensitive even if you do observe the no-paper-flushing rule essential to all of Peru... So be careful.

I used a fellow trip advisor reviewers tip of asking for an upstairs room facing the courtyard to minimise noise heard from the street and guests upstairs on wooden floors (I tiptoed for the downstairs guests). Still a fair amount of noise from the courtyard and stairs and street and all night doorbell ringing (you need to ring the bell to be let in) but hey you're on holiday right?

The Plaza de Armas is not a long walk away (or around $4 soles at night in a taxi), and I do also recommend stopping in at the large San Pedro marketplace also a short walk for some seriously well-priced souvenirs, bags, hats, purses and clothing.

The food at the in-house restaurant is tasty and moderately priced, around $25-30 soles for a main dish. Breakfasts start at $10/S. You can eat for much cheaper in Cusco but Niños profits go to the kids so its a good reason to spend your money here.

One hint ~ Don't take the hotel up on their offer of an airport transfer. We paid $25/S for a ride in a very dirty car (Cusco has better taxis on offer) that would have cost $10/S if we'd just negotiated a taxi at the airport ourselves.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 4 November 2012 via mobile

This little treat is tucked away from the city centre. The courtyard is beautiful and the rooms named after children remind you of the inspirational purpose of this hotel.

The kitchen serves tasty treats and sitting in the courtyard with a hot chocolate at night time star gazing is simply wonderful!

Rooms are full of character and the beds are very comfortable. Decor is tasteful and hot water aplenty!

Cusco is not the warmest of places especially at night however the heater provided ensured we were snug at night!

I absolutely loved staying here, there was some noise from the street at night but in a busy city full of thousands of tourists I think this is difficult to avoid!

This was my third trip to cusco as I am a bit of a fan! I would recommend the ninos hotel above any of the other places I have stayed. Simply perfect!

Also if you fancy a real splurge bob into the bar at the hotel monasterio to raise a toast to the memory of John peel. Well worth it!

• Stayed May 2012
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 October 2012 via mobile

The rooms are poorly insulated and you hear EVERYTHING in the patio. Until midnight very hard to sleep. Reservations very difficult and my rate doubled as the booked room was unavailable.
Staff nice and friendly. Good cause but I need to beable to sleep!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Guidowalter
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Ninos ll is a lovely hotel. Super clean, spacious rooms, cudos to the designer - beautifully decorated. Although, I usually go out to eat when travelling, I decided to give the food a shot, it was so delicious and healthy, I ate breakfast each morning in the sunny courtyard. WiFi is available, works best in the courtyard area. Hot water runs out quickly so be conscious of how much time you spend under the shower. It takes about 15 minutes to walk to the plaza and it's a fun walk full of character. My only gripe is the lack of opening windows, however the height of the ceiling and cleanliness ensures that the rooms never smell stuffy. I stayed here for a week...

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor away from the street are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Ninos Hotel was lovely-the staff worked really hard to help with our stay.
The story behind Ninos is inspiring, and had the pleasure of being driven in
a cab by one of the original Ninos boys..
We had a nice room with a private bath - there was some "mold" on the
walls and ceiling, but it seems like it was not hotel wide, but a problem with
ventilation and steam in our room only. We had hot water for showers and
a very much needed heater to warm the room.
There are steep steps to get upstairs - choose a downstairs room if this is
difficult for you (though Peru is a tough trip if you can't walk stairs!)
Breakfast, not included, was consistently delicious. A little trek to the main area of Cusco, but not too bad.
After a couple of days it felt like home.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Nice room, very spacious. Ok Staff.

They do have hot water but I had a problem one day. My wife was taking a shower and later on when I was taking mine the water was not hot any more … actually almost cold. They must have a limited amount of hot water…

They also have wifi, but I couldn’t get it from inside my room. I had to go to the hallway to get it.

They have three different types of breakfast. You have to order it, as a menu, and they bring it to your table. I was satisfied with the 2nd one and it was 12 soles.

Neighborhood is very noisy (my room at least). The window was facing the street but just across it there was a mini market and a bar … so some folks were up until late at night talking and laughing. And also there were some dogs barking (but I believe this is an issue in Cusco, since I have seen lots of dogs all over the streets).

Considering the size of Cusco and quantity of different hotels in the way, I wouldn’t say it’s well Located … it is at exactly 10min (walking) from plaza de armas… Not THAT far, but from plaza de armas to the hotel you have to go uphill (it’s a light slope, but still it might be tiresome specially when you are tired in the end of the day and if you are not fit).

They take credit card but they charge you extra 6% for it. (that´s another issue in Peru, lots of places do not take credit card and does accepting it change you a fee that may vary from 6 to 10%. It is possible to barging that fee…)

I’ve stayied in Calle Fierro, It’s like Ninõs 2.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 14 July 2011

My cousins and I were on our way to Machu Picchu and had originally taken a room in another Cusco hotel. However, that hotel was having problems with water - there was none. We decided to try our luck at another hotel and found a Lonely Planet recommendation called Los Ninos on calle Meloc. The hotel not only has a great deal of charm and history, it is very well decorated. The bathroom was large and the water was hot! Plus the hotel is a short distance from the center of town. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants good service and a comfortable room. I would not hesitate to use them again.

Room Tip: There's not a bad room in the place, really.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with family