“Tiny room, no hotwater, noisy doorbell rings, no place to hang clothes”

Casa de Mama Cusco 2-The Ecohouse
Ranked #45 of 400 Cusco B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This hotel has no reception area, it depends on the doorbell to inform the staff who live there to open door for the quests to enter the hotel, and all quests are also been informed at every doorbell ring.

It was hard to get hot shower, no hot water at faucet so I was forced to use cold water to wash hands and brush teeth.

There is no place to hang my clothes, neither bedroom nor bathroom. I placed both my clean clothes and dirty clothes on top of toilet water tank in order to take shower.

Single chair in the room, I have to move my clothes to the bed to sit or move my clothes to the chair to sleep, there was no any hanger to hang my clothes.

The room is surrounded by closed glass windows, no place to open it. No AC in the room so you have to know how to survive during hot summer time.

Poor location and far from major attractions.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 July 2013

This hotel exceeded all of my expectations. You get all of the value for your money. The hostess is really friendly and makes sure you are comfortable. The room is very clean and the room service never failed. I felt very secure during my stay at Casa de Mama. The hotel is located 25 minutes from the city center by foot but by taxi it will take 5 to 10 minutes to get there, depending on traffic. I personally prefer to walk when I go to a new place in order to get to know the city. Around a quarter of a mile from the hotel there you can reach the Avenida del Sol which will take you directly to the city center passing by many monuments, restaurants, bars, markets, among other attractions. I walked around the city by myself during daytime, nighttime, and very early in the morning (few hours before sunrise). There were always people around and it felt very safe to do so. Cusco is just a very safe city. The hotel is also located close to the Wanchaq station (1/4 mile), which was the station from where my bus departed to Machu Picchu. Overall, I give this hotel the highest rating and would stay there again if I ever returned to Cusco.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Staff in casa de mama are all very nice and friendly. The owner is esp helpful and accommodating to us, giving us all the advice we need.

Location is not at the city centre. But it's fine as it just costs 3 soles to take a cab there.

Room is clean, but shower could be hotter (given the freezing weather in cusco).

Breakfast is perfect, with eggs and juice. We had a good start every day during our stay in cusco.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Stayed here for a few nights before we done the Inca trail. They couldn't be more helpful. They organized day trips for us and sorted out the bus to Puno (Lake Titikaka). Everythiing went sweat. Thanks again for looking after us.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Mama Mercedes is an excellent host, helpful and warm. Rooms are big, comfortable and clean. Family atmosphere. Mercedes and staff are accomodating and helped with phone calls, lost luggages, restaurant recommendations and activities. Her husband helped us as well. Breakfast is delicious.

Room Tip: Rooms further from the street should be quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
MercedesCusco, Propietario at Casa de Mama Cusco 2-The Ecohouse, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2013

I appreciate very much having a few minutes of your valuable time to share your experience in our home with the travel community, we are very happy to know that you liked our services , this drives us to continue to improve.
Mercedes

Reviewed 13 June 2013

It is good place with family atmosphere. Owner is very helpful and warm. She can organise a lot of activities if you need. Rooms are clean and big. 6 soles for taxi from bus station. This was the best hostel in Peru I have ever met. Thank you Mama for all your arrengements.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Pros: The staff were very warm, and did their best to help us with everything from laundry to restaurant recommendations, to weighing our bags. The breakfast is basic but tasty. The courtyard common areas are beautiful and comfortable.

Cons: The location is a little off the beaten path, about 20 minutes from the Plaza de Armas. It's not really that far, but be aware that it isn't on the main tourist drag. We had laundry done twice, and both times there were missing items, so be sure to keep a list of what you gave them (they were able to find everything in the end). The walls are very thin, you can hear everyone around you. Our shower was a bit much for our first-world sensibilities, with exposed wiring in the shower head. The final bill was handwritten on a sheet of graph paper, and payment in cash was required.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
MercedesCusco, Propietario at Casa de Mama Cusco 2-The Ecohouse, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2013

We appreciate you taking a few minutes to write about us, your kind words about our service and the friendly atmosphere of our common area and the delicious breakfasts.
It is true that when we did the laundry service we deliver some clothes first and then the others, was because not all were dry at 7 pm, at which time we delivered the first package, we wanted to rush to serve you better and give you what was ready, Miss charged of this service had no opportunity to explain this detail.We hope the next time we will have a dryer machines that hopellly will help us to do the laundry faster.
Kind regards