Free cancellation until 26/07
US$381
US$329
  • Pool
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$370/night.

Free cancellation until 26/07
US$233
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$267/night.

US$116
US$710
US$670
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmachu picchubeautiful hotelthe main squareliving areacooked eggscoca leavesbreadthe hotel staffyogurtpacked breakfastnice bathroomgot sicklarge roomeasy walking distancecoca teacusco airportcomfortable beds
Reviewed 2 September 2013

A little walk from the main square but more than worth it. It's characterful rooms are stunning, such a nice atmosphere. The staff were so friendly and helpful. We had a minor crisis on the last day and the staff were life savers. We had stayed at another hotel closer to main square as well however Tambo is a far better choice. Couldn't fault it!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Hola, kia ora. We booked about a month out at the gorgeous Tambo del Arriero en Cusco. Isobel who picked us up from the airport was friendly and it was no problems finding her. They had some problems with bookings on the day but we we were moved to a cute hotel called ʻRumi Wasiʻ which we really enjoyed (part of the adventure). We felt looked after at Tambo, the manager was a dude and we enjoyed hanging with him. Our room was lovely but no wifi, however they were trying to fix everyday and moved us to a luxury room for the last night at no extra cost. Breakfast (desayuno) was yum yum and far superior to anywhere else we stayed from there on. We stayed at a few places but for us, Tambo del Arriero was the best. Its bot super close to the Main Plaza however, not a problem to walk and let us be part of the local areas. We must have lost about 2 Kgs staying there (yay), it was also close enough to San Pedro Market. Taxiʻs are readily available and cheap (like 4 sol max) to get most places. I would definitely go back to Tambo del Arriero to stay without a second thought. Thanks peeps! Muchos Gracias!

Room Tip: If you cant get wifi (in the back rooms) then just ask to move rooms :)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We had a great holiday, the hotel is pretty nice and comfortable. Breakfast is delish, we were 3 couples and we got an upgrade for every room. All three rooms were very comfortable and spacious. Actually they were quite luxurious. If you can, stay in one of the junior suits or the deluxe rooms. They were very nice and warm. The hotel is in a pretty good location also close to plazas and restaurants. The hotel staff were all very nice and acomodating. We loved it!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Tambo del Arriero is a great little boutique hotel that is reasonably priced, conveniently located, with style, comfort and good service. But keep in mind; you do get what you pay for. I booked my room at the lowest rate for this time period. When we checked in, my room was upgraded because there were no more rooms available at the lower rate. They initially placed my friend in a room right behind the front desk, but he requested another room because that room was small, windowless and the bathroom was not updated. They did accommodate his request.

My room had two floors with the bed upstairs in a ‘loft’ area with a flat screen television; however, I never turned it on, so I cannot comment on the reception or variety of channels. The bed was king-sized and the sheets and comforter were very nice. The living room area was furnished with wooden Spanish colonial furniture. It was a good place to return to and organize after a day of running around Cusco.

The lightning could have been better. There were two skylights; one long one above the living area and another smaller one above the bed. I never could figure out how to open the covering over the bedroom skylight. The electrical lighting did not provide much light in the evening. The bathroom was very modern and quite nice. But, as others mentioned, there is no door between the common space and the area where the shower and sink are located.

Breakfast is included with the room. They had a nice selection of fruit, juices, bread, cheese, ham, cereal and the ubiquitous coca tea. They make eggs to order and serve coffee on request. The service was great.

The hotel is only about a 10 minute –give or take a few minutes depending on your pace, from the central plaza. While one should always be careful and aware of their surroundings, I felt quite safe and comfortable walking back to the hotel after dark. Be warned though, there are a few rather steep hills to negotiate. But that pretty much sums up most of Cusco!

There were some interesting inconsistencies with the service. When I checked in, there were two water bottles in the bathroom. Some days when I returned to my room, there would be two new bottles, and other days there were none. It went back and forth, which I sort of turned into a game, trying to guess whether or not water would appear. Also, some days they left chocolates on my bed and other days they didn’t. I never did figure it out. When we were checking out, a staff member billed my friend for two bottles of water. He asked about it and explained the inconsistencies (he never got chocolates!). He was told that you only receive two complimentary water bottles at check in. So if you stay here, ask first.

A tour company that is associated with the hotel provides transportation from the airport. Be prepared because you will spend nearly the entire ride listening to the different tour packages they offer. If you like tours and feel more comfortable exploring that way, great. Personally, I am not a big tour person, however, on our third day we did contact the owner, Angela, to arrange travel to Machu Picchu. I did do some research ahead of the trip, but things often change once you ‘hit the ground.’ There are also many tour companies in Cuzco. Angela arranged for round trip transportation from Cusco to Machu Picchu, which included transportation from the hotel to the bus station, the bus to the train station in Ollantaytambo, then on to Aguas Calientes, as well as a hotel there for one night and the bus and admission to Machu Picchu. I think the total was approximately $287.00 U.S. dollars. Angela told us to be in the bar area of the hotel at 4 am the next morning.

There was a bit of a problem with the morning transportation because while someone kept calling the hotel to say they would be there soon, no one came until 4:45 am. I really could have used some more sleep! A gentleman suddenly appeared outside the hotel’s two huge aged wooden doors and guided us out as a tiny taxi raced up the steep cobblestone street in the dark. We were quickly ushered inside and the driver raced up the hill turned quickly and flew down several more cobblestone blocks, hitting the horn as he neared an intersection or if a dog wandered by. He dropped us off at the bus station and someone directed us to a small passenger van. There were what appeared to be a mix of tourists and locals- some wearing colorful Peruvian hats, bleary eyed and shivering inside the cold dark vehicle. We sat in the dark van, waiting and wondering what was happening. After about 15 minutes, someone told us to get out and moved us to another passenger van. We sat for another 20-25 minutes before being whisked off across the highlands, through the clouds, and eventually delivered to the train station. Angela booked us on Inca Rail, which was fine as a less expensive option. After we arrived in Aguas Calientes we waited a while before a young man appeared with a sign with my name to take us to the hotel. This is not a hotel that I would have chosen, so do your research ahead of time. All that Angela asked was if we wanted a clean room with a private bath. She did call the hotel after I arrived to apologize for the mix up with the morning’s transportation.

The trip back was much smoother, however, we were basically ‘dumped’ near a central market in Cusco in the dark and had to find our own way back to the hotel. I would have expected better service and that we would have been returned to our hotel.

The people working at the front desk were very pleasant and helpful. They both went out of their way to make our stay as comfortable as possible. I would add that everyone who worked there was very nice and professional.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Barbara28970
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Tambo del arriero is a really nice place to stay in Cusco. It's a quiet and small hotel. The building is nicely decorated and the room was spacious. The breakfast was good with fresh fruit and eggs. The main Plaza is a 5 minute walk. Staff was very friendly. I really recommend this place!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple