“Good location; mediocre service”

Aranwa Cusco Boutique Hotel
Ranked #10 of 169 Hotels in Cusco
Sacramento, California
“Good location; mediocre service”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Having just spent three nights at another Aranwa property in the Sacred Valley, I was disappointed in our two night stay at the Cusco Boutique Hotel. The location of the hotel is great- right in the middle of the historical center of Cusco an easy walk from the Plaza de Armas. The hotel itself has certain over the top charm about it too with crystal chandeliers and lots of gold and silver accessories. The rooms were small but did have nice tall ceilings and our bathroom was very spacious (although the shower was barely big enough to turn around in). The hotel has a lot going for it.

However, the hotel seemed to be having technical difficulties while we were there. It was very cold in our room and after unsuccessfully adjusting the thermostat ourselves we called the front desk to ask for help. They sent someone who said it was set correctly and left. The heated floors were not working in the bathroom either. They brought us a space heater that first day and it helped. Sometime the next day, after calling to inquire as to why oxygen was not being pumped into our room as advertised, all of our heating and air problems magically resolved themselves. One morning at breakfast they couldn’t get the lights on in the dining room. Maybe there is just some faulty wiring in this old building but it didn’t add to the five star experience.

All of our inquiries, though very respectfully made, must have blacklisted us because the front desk staff made me feel like I was inconveniencing them if I asked anything of them. The other staff in the hotel was nice but still not nearly as friendly and professional as those at the Aranwa in the Sacred Valley. I know they had more guests to deal with but there were also many more staff members. Even the Radisson in Miraflores had better service.

Overall we had a nice clean room in a good location and got a good night’s sleep. Not horrible, but there could certainly be some improvements.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ValPF
Gabriel A, Propietario at Aranwa Cusco Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your election and for taking the time to leave your comments in Tripadvisor. We appreciate your praise on the chandeliers and rooms & bathrooms. We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you had with the heater system in the room. All rooms have oxygen, heater and air conditioner so we will be reviewing our systems.

About the inconvenience with the light in the restaurant we fixed this problem at 5:15 am, ten minutes after you had breakfast. Our maintenance staff had only just arrived and we apologize for the problem. We are sorry if our front desk staff made you feel uncomfortable we are all the time improving with the staff and services at the hotel to be on pair with the expectation of all our clients.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments with us. We hope to welcome you again to recover your confidence in the quality of Aranwa Cusco Boutique service.

Regards,

Gabriel Alvarez - GM Aranwa Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We were delighted with our choice of hotel in Cusco. The Aranwa is an old colonial building located a short walk from the main square and numerous good quality restaurants. The interior is very contemporary whilst being respectful of the heritage of the building that it occupies.

We booked a Deluxe King and my only advice would be to make sure that you are given the room that you book as when we initially checked in we were allocated a room that we deemed to be the standard category. The website really does not provide much clarity on what you should be getting for each category so be really careful! We ended up in an upgraded Junior Suite (115) which was excellent - huge, really beautifully designed. Great bathroom with underfloor heating which is definitely a requirement during the Winter months. Gorgeous beds too!

The staff are generally very friendly with reception being very helpful in recommending shops and booking tables at restaurants. At breakfast the waiters could perhaps be taught how to say good morning but they warmed up after a few visits. The quality of the breakfast buffet was really excellent with a great variety of cold and hot items, and eggs cooked to order. You really could not fault anything.

We did not try the main restaurant at night but the menu looked great and the environment was lovely. The bar is also really well designed with great service - we enjoyed a good few G&Ts before heading out for the evening in the bar.

There is really very little to fault and I would thoroughly recommend the Aranwa.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 September 2012

My husband and I stay at the Aranwa Cusco Boutique in June on our honeymoon and it was a great experience. The staff was great and the hotel was amazing. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. The complimentary bottles of water every morning were greatly appreciated, as well as the clean room we always returned to after our day of exploring. When I needed my jacket washed, the front desk took care of it and it was returned to me promptly the next day before the Aranwa shuttle took us to the Aranwa Sacred Valley hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My husband and I just got back from a 2.5 week whirlwind trip to Peru. We went to the Amazon, saw the Sacred Valley, hiked the Inca Trail, did a homestay at Lake Titicaca, spent some time in Lima, and went down and saw the Nazca Lines. We stayed in numerous hotels during our time. One of my favorites was the Aranwa in Cusco. (The other was Miraflores Park in Lima.) The Aranwa in Cusco is centrally located. You can walk to all major attractions and restaurants.

We spent two consecutive nights in, I believe, room 123 (1st floor, near the front desk, across from the elevator). Despite the proximity to the elevator, we didn't really have problems with noise. Although, I must admit, I had ear plugs in. After Machu Picchu we spent one night in, I believe, room 301 (3rd floor, corner room, closest to the stairwell). Both rooms were well appointed and clean. You are definitely able to relax. Room 301 was a little larger & nicer with two windows looking toward the outside. The beds in the hotel were very comfortable. Since I spent my first two days in Cusco in bed due to altitude sickness, I appreciated the fact that there were plenty of English channels on t.v. that I could watch. I didn't realize this at the time, but if necessary the hotel does have oxygen tanks available.

The breakfast spread was quite nice. There was a large selection of food. There were hot foods (sausages, bacon, french toast, waffles, etc.), toast, different types of cereal, pastries, and eggs (done any way you want). Since it's always hard to get vegetables while you're on vacation, I appreciated the fact that they had a steamed vegetable dish (e.g., broccoli, carrots, zucchini) every morning. Unlike other hotels, their cooked veggies looked fresh and appetizing. Service was amazing.

If I ever returned to Cusco, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ckingadventure
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Beautiful Boutique Hotel, exceptional service, very friendly & helpful staff, oxygenated rooms, luxury bathrooms with heated floors and towel racks, clean, comfortable rooms, great beds all this along with a perfect location within walking distance of the main square, shopping, restaurants, most of the tourist locations and squares. Last time we stayed at the Monasterio, this time per the trip advisor reviews we decided to try this hotel and were not disappointed. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mi-Dan20
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We loved this place! It's a beautiful colonial hotel nestled in the heart of Cusco. The wonderful (oxygenated) room are lovely with antique furniture and very comfortable beds. Very clean. Modern bathrooms. We ate dinner twice at the hotel -- it was that good. The service overall was very attentive; the wait staff in the restaurant was delightful, informative and very attentive as well. We would highly recommend this hotel and its sister hotel in Sacred Valley.

Room Tip: The two rooms we had were both wonderful. Our kids shared a large roomw ith two queens; we shared...