“Great location, friendly staff”

Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza
Ranked #23 of 163 Hotels in Cusco
Ballarat, Australia
“Great location, friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed here before and after the inca trail, the staff were very friendly and the location of the hotel is excellent. They offer free coca tea (for the altitude) the breakfast was really nice, the wifi was really fast and the rooms were nice and cosy. The only negatives we found was that there was no elevator (the porters do help with the bags though) and the shower pressure was pretty bad, especially after a 4 day inca trail when you just want a nice hot shower.

Room Tip: The higher the room number the better as there is no elevator and the hotel starts on level 4 then...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Adnie,

We would like to thank you for taking time to share your experience at Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza with other travelers.

Hope to welcome as our guest again soon.

Tierra Viva Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We recently returned from Cuzco following our amazing trek on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu with Alpaca Expeditions. Tierra Vive Cusco Plaza was one of the hotels that was recommended to us and we were very happy for choosing it! The staff at the hotel were incredibly friendly, professional, and helpful. The staff gave us great restaurant recommendations, (which were ALL close to the hotel) each night. We chose the suite room, which happened to be on the fifth floor and LOVED it; it had the roof top and city view. The room was a great size, which included a king size bed, living room, and large bathroom with huge jacuzzi tub. In addition, the mini fridge was stocked with water, Inka Cola, and beer!! The location of the Tierra Vive was perfect. We were just above the Plaza de Armas, which were all the restaurants and shops were. Great location! Highly recommend the hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again!!

Room Tip: Choose the suite room!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Miguel A,

Thank you for your excellent comment!!

Our mission at Tierra Viva is to contribute to make everyone´s trip an unforgettable experience. That means, that we will do whatever is in our hands to help our travelers to enjoy the city they are visiting, even if is just for a few hours.

We hope to have you again at Tierra Viva very soon!

Kind regards,

Durango, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza is in a perfect location - right off the Plaza de Armas. The staff was friendly and helpful, the breakfast was good, the room very comfortable, nice bathroom. They provided an airport shuttle and assisted us with any transportation needs.

1 Thank mtnmama1
Dear mtnmama1,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Tierra Viva with other travelers and for having stayed at our Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza hotel.

We hope to welcome as our guest again soon!

Toulouse, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were in the room below the reception which is at the street level. Hence, il was dark. Every time a car was passing in the street (above us), we could feel it through the vibration of the walls. There is a disco bar not far from the hotel and same: during the night you can hear the music. The room is small and a little bit dark. In compensation, the personnal is excellent, the comfort is good. The free computers with internet and printer were highly appreciated. There are some rooms that are better than the one we had (more sunny, bigger and quieter). We apreciated far more the Tierra Viva Cuzco centro (a little bit cheaper, much bigger and quieter, personnal)

1 Thank THIENAN2013
Dear THIENAN2013,

We would like to thank you for taking time to share your experience at Tierra Viva with other travelers.

We really value the feedback from our guests because it helps us improve our service every day. We are committed to ensuring that every stay at Tierra Viva Hotels is as pleasant as possible.

We hope to have the opportunity of serving you again, at any Tierra Viva Hotel, in the near future.

Exeter, NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

After spending the day at Machu Picchu, where I suffered from altitude sickness, we took the bus back to AC and went to the hotel to get our bags. We had awhile before catching our train to Cusco so we rested. I had some tea and some ginger ale. It all came back up but at least I absorbed some so didn’t have dehydration to add to the list. Of course, in hindsight, we should have had Diamox. Or eaten coca leaves. Ah well…

We made our way to the train and sank into our seats. It was dark out so where our seats were didn’t matter! We were at a table where there were two folks on the other side. I was still feeling ill. DH ate both our dinners! But I was just exhausted, wasn’t getting sick any more. They had some entertainment on this leg of the train trip. Someone dressed up in a costume that danced down the aisle. Kinda cute. Then they had a man and a woman walk through modeling clothing made from alpaca. Some beautiful items but expensive! There were some young girls at the table across the aisle from us and they’d whistle and call out to the man model. Made him blush. It was fun!

The train had been diverted because of the tracks being washed out from rains, and you had to get off and take a bus for part of the trip. I checked on this before we left the states and was told the tracks were repaired and from May 1 on the train would go the whole way to Cusco…nope!!! We got off and had to get on a bus. This was a problem because I had scheduled a taxi to pick us up at the train station! When we got off the bus there were taxis waiting. I thought maybe our driver would have known that the train wasn’t running since this was May 12 so I would have expected him to already have run into this! But no, no taxi with our name. We were the last folks to need a taxi and thank goodness, there was one left! So, off to the hotel (Tierra Viva). When we got there and checked in, we asked for our bags and they had already taken them to our room. So wonderful to hear!! We went to our room which was down stairs. The lobby is at ground level and the rooms are below! It was a marvelous room though. With a marvelous bathroom with a marvelous large shower. I think I just collapsed into the bed and slept soundly till morning. I woke up feeling wonderful and we went to breakfast (And Cusco, at 11,000 feet above sea level is higher even than MP!)

We went out to explore Cusco, second largest city in Peru. Started by going to a shop that sold alpaca sweaters and we each got one! Made of baby alpaca…soooo soft. We went off to find the 12 sided stone used by the Incans in building a wall. The road we wanted to take was blocked off so we detoured around it and found a young lady dressed up in local garb with an alpaca! DH said to me ‘That’s what you had for dinner the other night. Now aren’t you sorry?!’ Took pictures, gave her some money and set off in search of the Incan wall. We started up this hill which was murder after climbing HP the day before! We asked someone and he said ‘It’s that way.’ Pointing down the hill we had just hiked up. Ugh. So we walked down, past the girl and her alpaca and found the wall. (We should have turned left at the girl instead of right!) It was as cool as all Incan walls are!

We asked the folks in the sweater store where the big market was and they said we shouldn’t go to that one but another, because it would be safer than the big one. I guess rebels were thinking of kidnapping Americans! But also, I expect, he meant safer from pickpockets and all. So we headed towards the market he had suggested. Saw some interesting things along the way. There was an older man on the street facing a wall and DH said ‘He’s in time out.’ There were some policemen taking away a street person who had been carrying a huge duffel sack full of plastic bottles. I guess he had had an attack of some sort. All the locals were surrounding the back of the police vehicle taking pictures with their cell phone. We sat on a bench and each had a package of almonds. DH tossed one to a young man sitting near us and I said ‘Did he look hungry?’ And he said, ‘yeah, he was watching us eating our almonds.’ We went onto the market where we found a lovely set for our daughter of a necklace and some earrings. They spoke her name. Delicate but daring. Each with a lapis lazuli stone and they are silver with carvings of Peruvian stuff…the one thing I could make out was a llama. But, she loved them!!! I had wanted to keep the earrings because I didn’t think she’d like them because they were a bit dangly but DH said ‘No, they’re a set. Send them together.’ And it turned out she loved the earrings best of all! And I thought I knew her!

We headed back towards the plaza and decided to check out the church. It was originally a site of an Incan worship place but after the Spaniard invasion, the Spanish built their church on top of it. Inside there are a bunch of rooms surrounding a courtyard. Many of the original Incan walls still stand. There was a set of windows that were lined up so you looked through one and could see all the way down through three or more rooms. The walls and windows and doors were all built in the trapezoid shape, with the walls slightly angled in. This is so that they will stand during earthquakes. It has obviously worked! There was one doorway that had a 14 angled stone as part of it! The angles included the cutting of the stone to right angles to make the doorway as well as the straight lines to fit the stones together. Very cool. We walked outside and saw an Incan ceremonial altar. Observant DH noticed how they had mowed the grass leaving an outline of a condor, a snake and a puma, the 3 symbols of Peru. All the doors in the church were heavy solid wood. Beautiful!

We left and there were two ladies in local costume sitting on some steps with a small white animal. Of course, I ran right over and said ‘Oh, a baby llama!” They nodded and smiled so I sat down and DH snapped away. Yeah, I think it was a baby goat…

We went back to the plaza and sat watching the people. There was a young man on a bench near us, looked like a tourist, writing in a journal. A shoe shine boy came by and then another. They were trying to get him to let them shine his workboots. He was very nicely telling them no thank you but they were persistent. Then three more shoe shiners approached! It was so funny watching them try to talk him into it. Poor guy. I think he did end up with a spot of polish on his boots but he didn’t get them shined.

There were a bunch of kids walking through the plaza on their way home from school. They all wore different uniforms. Some were eating ice cream. Some were with parents, others were in groups. One group of a half dozen young men headed towards the fountain. They started goofing around and one of them ended up in the fountain!!! He was dripping wet! Pretty funny but DH felt bad for him because he seemed to be the smallest of the group so it might have been bullying.

A bunch of young kids walked through with their mom/grandma and chased the birds. Always a fun thing for youngsters! Something I had noticed in Peru was that, when the parents held their young child by the hand, the kids looked like they were being dragged because the adult didn’t adjust their pace but walked rapidly and the poor youngsters legs weren’t long enough to keep up!

There were a few people selling stuff. One lady had hamburgers, another had some sort of balls (coca leaf balls?). Another came and sat down on the bench with us and a policemen came along and chased her away. We thanked him. Think this was part of the rumor of rebels bothering Americans. Peru was concerned about their tourism reputation. There seemed to be police for everything. Traffic, tourists, crime. They were everywhere!

We went back to the hotel to get ready for dinner and headed to the restaurant I had heard was the best in Cusco, Cicciolina! It was a bit difficult to find because it was in a courtyard area. And on the second floor. But it was AMAZING! Everything about it. We had the table by the only window which looked out over a small plaza with a fountain that kept changing the color of the water. The atmosphere was wonderful. The food was incredible. Lovely evening…

Back to the hotel…we had to be up early to catch a flight to Lima.

Got to the airport and I saw a billboard of a family of four at MP and the boy on the right side of the picture was leaning away from the group so that you couldn’t see his head…he was getting sick! It was an ad for altitude sickness medicine! I pointed it out to DH and said ‘There’s me!’.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank corsica411
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Corsica411,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Tierra Viva with other travelers and for having stayed with us at Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza.

We hope to welcome as our guest again soon in Lima, Cusco, Arequipa or Puno!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza for 3 nights in May. The hotel is beautiful, well maintained and extremely clean. The staff is among the most efficient, friendly, helpful and professional that I’ve ever encountered. The room was very nice, comfortable beds, very clean bathroom, fantastic shower, and well appointed. They have cocoa tea and coffee in the lobby 24/7. They serve the included breakfast buffet every morning and the options are fantastic. Scrambled eggs, tamales, fresh fruit, cereals, breads, juices, coffee and teas are among the items offered. Before booking here, I had read some reviews about the noise from the disco’s that neighbor the hotel on the weekends. We were to stay from Fri – Sun nights – so I was concerned. Unfortunately, the reviews were absolutely correct. Our room faced the rear of the hotel, but at about 10 pm on a Friday night, the music began at the Disco and the walls were vibrating from the volume. It was truly disturbing. I’m not one to complain, but when you’re traveling and exhausted and trying to acclimate to the altitude of Cusco, one need’s their rest.
I inquired if we could move to another room, but there were none available. The front desk staff did arrange for me to stay in a single room for the night so I could sleep, but my son had to remain in the original room with very little rest. The next day, we were moved to an interior room on the 1st floor which was nice and peaceful – so we were very happy for the remainder of our stay. I would strongly advise that you request an interior room on the bottom floor if staying over a weekend. It made all the difference in the world. This is a lovely hotel with a highly responsive staff. It is very close to the Plaza and an easy walk to everything.

Room Tip: Request an interior room on the 1st floor to ensure peace and quiet from the neighboring Disco's...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear lakelin,

Hope to welcome as our guest again soon.

Hamilton, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This doesn't look like much from the outside, in fact, you could walk right by it and not realize it's a hotel. Inside, it feels instantly safe and welcoming. It's not overly sophisticated, but not what you'd call rustic either. Nice, helpful guys at reception, who speak excellent English. Rooms are clean, quiet, good hot water, plenty of room without overdoing it. I would stay here again. Breakfast was comparable to what we had in other 3-star Peruvian hotels, in a pleasant, courtyard setting.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Cases_Always_Packed,

Thank you for your excellent comment!!

We hope to have you again at Tierra Viva very soon!

Kind regards,