“nicest place and tidy..”

Tierra Viva Cusco Saphi
Ranked #12 of 167 Hotels in Cusco
Australia
“nicest place and tidy..”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Was very pleased with my stay here, I only wish I was there for more than one night !
Room was very nice and tidy.
Bed was very comfortable and slept with ease.
Staff were very helpful and were willing to go out the way to help you with your inquires.
Location is good, about a 10 minute walk from the Plaza de Armas and all other major landmarks

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Cusco Saphi, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Dear Liz R,

Thank you for your excellent comment!! We are very happy to know that you really enjoy your stay at Tierra Viva Cusco Saphi.

We hope to have you again at Tierra Viva very soon!

Tierra Viva Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
South Pasadena, California
Reviewed 18 August 2014

As many do, we stayed there before and after Machu Picchu. They kept our bags for us and provided excellent service all the way around. Beds were comfortable and the water in the shower was hot with great pressure. Perfect distance from the Plaza de Armas. We would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Internet was spotty in Room 205, but they offered to change our room for us.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jillyfreeze
Carolina S, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tierra Viva Cusco Saphi, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Jill F,

We would like to thank you for taking time to share your experience at Tierra Viva Cusco Saphi with other travelers.

If you ever have the chance to visit Peru again, it will be a pleasure to take care of you at our hotels in Lima, Arequipa, Cusco or Puno.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I really have nothing negative to say about this hotel and considering the price I thought it was excellent value. The rooms are lovely, clean and spacious. We stayed in 2 rooms (one on the way and one on the way back from Aguas Calientes) and were pleasantly surprised by both. The hotel is very quaint with the rooms set around a pretty courtyard. There is good free internet in the rooms, the breakfast (also included) was decent and the staff extremely helpful - they looked after our luggage while we went to Machu Picchu, had put the hearing on in our room and moved our luggage there for our return, booked restaurants etc. There are also 2 computers you can use and a printer as well as tea etc. I really good find and I definitely recommend.

Dear Laura G,

Thank you for your excellent comment and for considering Tierra Viva Cusco Saphi as “A real gem of a hotel”.

We hope to welcome as our guest again soon in Lima, Cusco, Arequipa or Puno!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Firstly, we stayed in three different Tierra Vivas;
Miraflores
Saphi (in Cusco)
Puno.
They were all fantastic, so please have a look if you're visiting the different locations.

Hotel location is c5 mins from the main square. The altitude wasnt an issue and the road up to it wasnt steep.

Staff - excellent - I was lucky enough to meet the MD of the group and passed this on personally.
I got quite ill in Cusco and the staff went beyond their duty to help me and my wife with our plans etc.

The bathroom and showers were excellent which was great after returning from the Inca Trail.
Can't recommend highly enough.

Dear Littlemammiesboy,

Our mission at Tierra Viva is to contribute to make everyone´s trip an unforgettable experience. That means, that we will do whatever is in our hands to help our travelers to enjoy the city they are visiting.

We hope to have you again at Tierra Viva very soon!

Ventura, California
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This hotel is nice and clean. The beds are a little stiff but tolerable. Plenty of pillows and blankets. It was cold at night but I like a cool room. In August the weather was nice during the day. One day was warm enough to wear shorts. As soon as the sun goes down it gets cold very quickly. All the locals wear jackets.
Tips to acclimate:
Stay hydrated.
Don't eat lots of food to get full. Eat protein.
Drink the tea. The coca tea is for acclimation but the muna tea is for dizziness and nausea.
OXYGEN! Take the oxygen if you are vomiting and feel like your head is about to explode.

The hotel has oxygen tanks. On the first night my head felt like it was going to explode and I was vomiting.I took Ibuprofen but it didn't help. I've never felt this way in my life. My husband ran down to the reception and he was told I needed oxygen. Sure enough. After taking the oxygen for a long time my headache was gone and I felt normal. I needed the oxygen every night and by the third day I was doing a lot better.
Saline for nose: My nose also bled a lot while there. The saline helped a lot.

We stayed in room 109 the first time. It's the room above the staircase. We could hear everybody coming and going and the people above us but not our neighbors. The bathroom floor was heated which is nice at night because it is cold at night. The shower had good pressure. At night there was a sewer smell coming from the bathroom. We used the tea cups to cover up the drains to stop the smell.
After visiting MP we went back for two nights. We got room 106. The shower was good and bed was much better in this room. The room seemed a little bigger. In this one I could hear the neighbors. Overall, I would stay here again if I had to.
Due to the altitude sickness I didn't have much of an appetite so didn't try much of the breakfast.
The Saphi hotel is on Saphi Street and very close to Plaza de Armas but almost everything touristy is close to the Plaza. Taxis are abundant and dont cost much. Only some taxis look legit. Who knows what the others are but they will take you wherever you want for cheap.
Cusco doesn't have a lot to do but there are many day trips that can be done from there.
If your main destination is machu picchu then go straight to MP and dont spend to much time in Cusco. the elevation in MP is much lower so you may not get hit with any sickness.
See my other reviews of MP.

Room Tip: Perhaps the rooms on the second floor are better.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank m2347m
Dear m2347m,

I have read your comments carefully and I would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your impression about your stay at Tierra Viva Cusco Saphi.

We are always working continuously to improve our service and comments like yours are very useful.

We hope that you continue to be our guest at Tierra Viva Hotels if you ever have the chance to visit us again in Cusco, Puno, Arequipa or Lima.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

This hotel has great staff who are all good english speakers. They have a very good doctor on call at any time for only £25 which unfortunately my sister required but he was very helpful. The rooms are spacious and the beds comfortable, it does get cold during the night but all rooms are equipped with heaters. The breakfast area is small (around 8-10 people) but the food is fine. It does get noisy at night but that is mostly due to dogs around the city barking and some struggle to sleep at altitude anyway. No kettle in the rooms but free tea and coffee available at reception 24/7. The buildings and courtyards are very picturesque and the main square is only a 5 minute walk away. Good restaurants are nearby, you can ask at reception. No lunch or dinner is available and there is no pool or spa but Cusco should keep you interested. Free wifi works well and there are 3 other hotels in the same chain around Cusco that you can pop into if you need to use their facilities all for free. Also a very big alpaca shop about 50 yards up the road which has everything and prices can be bargained.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alexander H
Dear Alexander H,

Thank you for your comments and for considering Tierra Viva Cusco Saphi as a “Charming hotel in a wonderful city!”.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is located in a very central area, so it is within easy reach on foot. The staff were particularly helpful with our needs and the accommodation facilities were fine. Therefore I would recommend this place to stay and get to know the beautiful areas of Cusco.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Snufkinn,

Hope to welcome as our guest again soon.