“Great place: authentic, excellent food and service !!!”
Review of La Retama

La Retama
Ranked #156 of 770 Restaurants in Cusco
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 9 March 2014

La Retama is not an upscale restaurant rather a simple/unpretentious place. Its food is excellent, authentic and of great quality. Service is also excellent (professional and warm). It does not hurt that the prices are great too.
We tried several dishes and all of them were fantastic, especially quinoa dishes (chupe de quinoa is outstanding), all the soups and the llama steak.
It is great place that offers the best from Cusco. This places deserves to have greater ratings and recognition !!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We ate here with our tour group on our final night in Cusco as part of a farewell dinner. The restaurant is on the main plaza. The meal was a hot buffet featuring many local dishes. The food was a disappointment and lacked some of the interesting flavors of other Peruvian dishes that I had tried. The pisco sours were perfect as were the entertainers who performed traditional Andean music and dance.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We were headed to a highly rated restaurant next door for lunch, when we were enticed to go upstairs to La Retama. We were lucky enough to be seated in one of the window booths with a full view of the plaza. I could even fully open one of the windows to take pictures. The maître de suggested the llama steak which was outstanding and consisted of two large tender pieces presented well with the accompaniments. Recommended.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

We were very happy to have been directed to this restaurant by our hotel staff. The food was very good and prices were reasonable. The menu included a lot of local fare, and an Andean buffet was available, also. The highlight of our evening was the traditional Andean music and dance show during dinner. The place was packed for the show, but well staffed, so we did not feel like we were being ignored. Our waiter spoke very good english, also.

1  Thank MarkFrederick
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I rarely give a place a "terrible" rating, but La Retama really deserves it. A group of 7 of us went here for our last dinner in Cusco. It was a buffet- usually a red flag for me, but I'd had a good buffet lunch in Urubamba several days before, so I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. The food was mediocre at best. I can't even remember what I had, and it has only been a few days since that meal. Utterly forgettable. But I wish I could forget the floor show. The Andean folk band was talented enough, I suppose, but WAY too loud. Then the dancers appeared - "authentic" sequined condor costumes and all. Many of the 30 to 40 person package tour group that was dining there seemed genuinely enthralled by the performance. Maybe I'm just cynical, but to me it all felt wrong - tacky and embarrassing. It had a cruise-ship feel to it. I could not get out of there fast enough.