“Convenient locations and helpful staff”

LP Los Portales Hotel Cusco
Ranked #19 of 165 Hotels in Cusco
Chicago, Illinois
“Convenient locations and helpful staff”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here at two different times-before and after our MP adventure. Very convenient location - 10 minutes walk to Plaza De Armas and almost across from the Inca Temple of the Sun (Qorikancha). Nice size rooms, modern showers with always hot water. The hotel complimentary held our extra luggage during our MP and Sacred Valley excursion. The breakfast buffet was great - eggs, sausages, ham, bread, cereal, granola, yogurt, fresh fruits, coffee, tea, fruit juices, milk....and always available coca tea for the altitude sickness! And of course the very helpful and professional staff - Jonathan, Noe, Rosa and Belisa - thank you for making our stay in Cusco even more enjoyable! Our only complaint - the towels - they really need to be replaced by new ones.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YoLa2014
ZuleikaRodriguez, Gerente at LP Los Portales Hotel Cusco, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Los Portales Cusco Hotel on Trip Advisor.

Our goal is to give a best quality service in all our areas. We value our guest comments since they provide us valuable information on areas to improve.

We will share your comment with our personal, specially with the front desk department , which will feel motivated to continue working hard to give our guests an unforgettable stay.

It will be a pleasure to have you at Los Portales Cusco in a near future.

Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The bright, modern rooms, spacious courtyard, and tasty food of the restaurant aren't even the highlight. The staff was extremely professional and helpful in dealing with an unprofessional tour company, and helped us with what would have otherwise been an issue. Great location to boot!

Room Tip: If you're not used to city noise, you may not want to be in a room that faces the street, as you...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
ZuleikaRodriguez, Gerente at LP Los Portales Hotel Cusco, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Guest

Is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay at Los Portales Hotel and we appreciate the time that you have taken to write a comment.

We will share your comment with our personal, which will feel motivated to continue working hard to give our guests an unforgettable stay.

College Park, Georgia
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Early on, I would have given this hotel an "Excellent" rating--particularly for the money. Then I stayed for four nights--and some noteworthy shortcomings reduced my opinion of the hotel markedly.

First the good parts.

The top rated TripAdvisor hotel in Cusco charges over $700 a night for a room; here, a room is $55 a night. And given that disparity, your $55 buys quite a room. Clean, quiet, and nicely fitted--the brand new bathroom even has a phone in there--and the carpet, duvet, and bedding is top notch. I likely had the worst room in the hotel, the one Priceline bidders or travel agents or airline crew usually get--right next to the elevator and facing the street from the second floor, and still the room was quiet. WiFi is free, and you get what you pay for--rarely worked, so nearly worthless. There was an odd smell in the bathroom--a strong cleaning solvent smell--throughout the stay. But on the balance, this room could be twice the price, and you'd still find it a good value.

Coca tea (to ward off the ill effects of altitude, as Cusco is over 11,000 feet above sea level) is available in the lobby courtyard around the clock, and the included breakfast is a buffet in a dining room adjacent. I stayed in four hotels during my Peru trip, and this was my least favorite breakfast--watery eggs, toast, pastries, yogurt.

Location is good, though not optimal. Cusco is breathtaking in every sense of the word, and I was panting throughout my stay. The main plaza, Plaza de Armas, is three blocks uphill--seems everything in Cusco is uphill in both directions--and the street leading there was torn up during my visit.

What were the major drawbacks? First off, this hotel has the earliest checkout time I've seen in 43 countries traveled. . .8:00am. Really. When I tried to get it to be later, was told 9:00am, which is still ridiculous. Finally, after having pitched a fit, I got them to agree to 10:00am. Still too early. I am not sure what is prompting such an early checkout (My other hotels in Peru did not have such an early checkout time) but an 8:00am checkout is decidedly customer-unfriendly.

The second problem also involved the front desk. My tour to Machu Picchu would leave at 4am, so I went to bed early (a little after 9p), so to be well rested for what would be the highlight of the trip. Remarkably, the phone rang at 10p in my room--it was the front desk reminding me that the tourbus would be waiting at 4a, and the agent continued to ask if I wanted a wake-up call. Needless to say, I had trouble getting back to sleep, and left for my tour with only a few hours of poor quality sleep on account of being awakened by a rather clueless front desk agent. If there were ever a reason to use the phone message light, this would be it--rather than to call a guest at 10p to remind him of a 4a pickup 6 hours hence. To add insult to injury, I complained at the front desk later in my stay, and asked the GM to call me to let him/her of this situation. There was no follow up.

So, Los Portales is a lovely hotel with a facility with rooms that could go for far more money--and a staff and set of policies that seems often tonedeaf. Consider all of this if you choose this hotel. As for me, I'm still waiting for an apology, and given my problems at the hotel, I cannot recommend it.

Room Tip: An interior room would likely be quieter, but even poorly located rooms are rather quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank TravelBeard
ZuleikaRodriguez, Gerente at LP Los Portales Hotel Cusco, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear TravelBeard,

Thank you for your comment. We are glad that you enjoyed the hotel's facilities and that the price-quality relationship of our rooms stands out. In regards to the problems that you had during your stay here we would like to clarify a few things:

1. We are sorry that you did not enjoy our buffet breakfast. At the same time we must clarify that we offer standardized products and dishes in concordance with the room rate that we offer our clients.
2. In terms of the call at 10pm we were only attempting to comply with what the travel agency had asked us to do. We are not familiar with all of our clients itineraries and only wanted to comply with the indications the travel agency had left us so that you would not miss your tour.
3. In regards to our check out time this is a policy that the majority of hotels in Cusco have as most arrivals are quite early and, because of the altitude, many individuals find it necessary to rest before partaking in any activities. If we don't need the room we automatically authorize late check outs.

We find it very unfortunate that you had these inconveniences during your stay with us and in order to obtain more details of what happened as well as better the services we offer we would like to ask if we could please have your name and date in which you stayed with us sent to our manager's personal email: zrodriguez@losportales.com.pe.
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

It's less than a 10 minute walk from the Plaza De Armas so a very good location. The room was nice but on the small side with hairdryer, safe etc. There is an enclosed courtyard downstairs and a sort of sitting room as well as restaurant so it's quite comfortable sitting in the public areas. One night we didn't want to go out to eat because of a really early start the following day and the food was ok. The breakfast is typically Peru fare - bread, cheese, ham - but we discovered you could ask for omlette which was nicely done. The staff were helpful - we went off travelling for a couple of days and on our return, our stored bags were already in the room. Probably best to avoid room 210 - it sounded like we were near the elevator on occasion - although we weren't - and it was opposite housekeeping - who used their walkie talkies at 6 in the morning!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
ZuleikaRodriguez, Gerente at LP Los Portales Hotel Cusco, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Guest

Is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay at Los Portales Cusco Hotel and we appreciate the time that you have taken to write a comment.

It is great to read you had a pleasant stay with us and our team made your feel comfortable, of course in our restaurant at breakfast time you have the option to request your eggs.

Be sure we will attend you with the same quality of service in your next stay.

pemberton bc
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I was blessed with spending some time here and I must say that it was the best experience I have ever had!!!!the staff was not only the most helpful but I felt they genuinely cared about not just my stay in their Hotel but also about me personally and my journey. All were very meticulous about attending to even the seemly smallest detail of my stay in Cusco as well.I really could not have had such an amazing time enjoying my trip had it not been for them.Gracias amigos,amigas!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Firewoman1
ZuleikaRodriguez, Gerente at LP Los Portales Hotel Cusco, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor.

We are more than happy that you enjoyed your visit with us.

Your positive comments of our team will be shared right away with them.

Comments like your keeps them motivated to continue delivering personal service to our guests.

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

10 minutes from airport near the square where there are plenty of resteraunts and bars. Staff friendly, rooms clean food okay. No bar in the hotel is the downside. Rooms are decked out well with the usual fridge tv safe etc hard bed which suits us.
Overall a good experience

Room Tip: Suggest one at back of hotel away from main road
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike_Jilly_12
ZuleikaRodriguez, Gerente at LP Los Portales Hotel Cusco, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel on Trip Advisor page, glad to know that we had a pleasant stay and I could enjoy the wonders of the city of Cusco, we will continue making an effort to give you a better quality of service on your next visit to Los Portales Cusco.

Best regards,
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I really enjoyed the rooms at this hotel. The showers were marvelous with rain shower heads. The beds were comfortable, and I liked that there was a mini fridge and room service available. The staff was courteous, and very helpful in a variety of different ways. The free wifi was intermittent - and I was never sure why it would stop working.

The location was good - only a seven/eight minute walk to the main plaza. Everything was clean. The breakfast was okay - it wasn't always well stocked, but having scrambled eggs was a nice plus, and the french toast was good. The sausage seemed more like hot dogs.

The rooms are generally quiet, although I could hear through the windows on the street side, so for a quieter room, I would choose a room that's not along the street if possible. The courtyard rooms are much nicer.

I would definitely stay here again, and would recommend it to others as well.

Room Tip: Choose an interior room that borders the courtyard or a room that's not along the front street f...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor.

We are glad to know your stay here at our hotel was fully successful; our staff is always looking the best way to make you feel satisfied.

We will be waiting for your return.