“Brilliant!”

and 1 more site!
Chakana House
Ranked #86 of 478 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
Reviewed 7 December 2012

I have been to Cusco many times and every time I return to Chakana House! The service is brilliant, all the staff are lovely and attentive. Service is 24hours and the hostel is behind a security gate. Breakfast is included and any extra portions are small prices. The hostel is cosy with a fire and as there is only one dorm room and 4 or 5 private rooms it is quiet and comfortable. They have two computers and a big tv with lots of dvds and a kitchen for everyone to use. Highly recommend this hostel!! Would always return!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Chakana House

Reviewed 3 March 2012

We chose Chakana Guesthouse based on the reviews on trip advisor. We arrived 4 hours before check in, extremely tired after 10 hour bus journey and were promptly offered coca tea and to our delight a room to have a nap in whilst waiting to check into our room. Staff were extremely helpful and we recommend you book any tours in Cusco – Machu Picchu through their agency. The hostel itself is quite small with one large dorm room directly at the top of the stairs. We were given the room beside it, comfortable bed, good space for 2 people, cable TV. Initially the room did not have a bedside lamp but when we requested one they brought immediately. Hot water was available all the time and the shower was probably the nicest we had in South America but be warned that if the hostel/B&B be prepared to queue for the bathroom for a long time (unless you get a room downstairs with a private bathroom). We did, however, encounter what can only be described as a teen house party upstairs directly outside our room. Management did not seem to be able to handle the situation and the party (based on the fact that this is a B&B and not a Backpackers hostel) let the scenario spiral out of control. It is not nice when you’re coming to terms with high altitude in Cusco to have 15 people directly outside your room drinking, smoking, listening to loud music and when we approached management about this they seemed inexperienced in handling it.
Just be advised ( couples or people who prefer quite places) when booking to question if the dorm is full and what young clientele is going to be there.
P and K

Room Tip: Our room was upstairs opposite to the bathroom, it was lovely and it had a flat screen TV.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cristina S
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Dennis, the owner, was extremely helpful and hospitable. He went out of his way to help us as much possible and particularly in when were in a difficult situation. Rooms were clean, breakfast was ok and it was nice a close to the main square. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Amelia711
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I recommend this hostel to people who want to take a rest and enjoy.
Is a really good place if you want to relax.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paula G
Reviewed 30 August 2011

My experience in Chakana House was excellent, as I was looking for a place where to relax, that was exactly that. It was clean and the location perfect. As the place is relatively new, the owners are still working hard and always asked me for my opinion for further improvements. The staff is very friendly and offers a personalized service, with representatives of tour agency inhouse (I believe it is new) and the chimney is great.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank gkq224
Reviewed 30 August 2011

My friend recommended this hostel for me and I had to thank her a thousand times for her advice. Had a very good time there, apparently it has just been open at the time I visited but the staff was dedicated, facilities great, and the location quite convenient.

It made my stay perfect and I am longing to comeback, possibly with my special.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank maithuha
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I would definitely NOT recommend this hostel to anyone. Our booking was a disaster from start to finish. First, my girlfriend and I made our reservation for a matrimonial suite (with private bath) about 3 weeks before our arrival in Cusco, and we even exchanged e-mails with the staff prior to our stay. However, when we arrived, it was discovered that the hostel had pulled a “bait and switch” because construction on our reserved room was nowhere near complete. The staff did offer us a different room at a discounted price, but when we checked-out, they refused to honor our HostelWorld downpayment. Second, the hostel’s bathrooms were in unacceptable condition throughout our stay. The seat fell off of one toilet on our first day, and six days later, was still waiting to be replaced. The bathroom garbages were often overflowing with paper, and the showers rarely had hot water or pressure at any time of day. One of the bathrooms has a glass ceiling from which a person possibly watched my girlfriend bathe! The owners were helpful, but unknowledgable about referencing any reputable tour agencies for a hike to Machu Picchu. There are many better and dependable options in Cusco- please look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple