“Travellers' Choice® 2013 Winner? I don't think so”
Review of Antawasi Hotel

Antawasi Hotel
Ranked #77 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 23 November 2013

First of all, how did this place get the "Travellers' Choice® 2013 Winner"?!? It's ranked 50 out of 136 hotels in Cusco. If you make that a percentage, they've scored 62 / 100.

They have a TripAdvisor plaque on the wall in the lobby which gives them a score of 4.5 / 5, but the truth is far from it. I'm going to have to call TA and ask them to up their standards.

This hotel like many others in Peru have an open atrium concept where all rooms open out to. This design along with the really bad insulation of the room allows all sorts of noise into the room.

If you call the lobby from your room, we were given room #307 on the third floor, it sounds like the phone is ringing in a room in your house! Closing of doors, people talking and walking around, we could even hear the lobby staff in the evening having a conversation and they talked all night long!

I had to use earplugs to get any sleep.

The place has no A/C on heating, luckily they have extra blankets in the closet. Otherwise, I can't imagine this place in the dead of winter or peak of summer.

Call the lobby to get a hairdryer, there isn't any in the room.

The Wi-Fi in unreliable and useless from the room, so go down to the lobby to use it.

Breakfast was adequate, but watch out for the yogurt, something in it made my wife gassy and gave me diarrhea.

The day we checked in, we showered, used the toilet and then went out. After returning, we discovered water on the washroom floor. I wiped it up thinking perhaps I had spilt some water or maybe my wife did. I thought nothing of it.

The next day, there was water on the floor again and I realized there must be a leak somewhere. After breakfast, I told one of the hotel front desk workers, a man with glasses.

Later in the evening, we got a call from our travel agency that we had booked our Peru trip with, they stated that the hotel staff had found a leak in the washroom and figured out the toilet was leaking and wanted us to pay the hotel for the replacement.

The agency wasn't exactly friendly with my wife either, he seemed to be laying the blame on us.

I was astounded by this. We were not hiding anything and had told them immediately when we figured out it was a leak of some sort.

So beware, if you something breaks down or wears out, report it immediately. The manager called up directly and asked for payment which I refused.

Find somewhere else to stay, this place has too much noise and managers that don't want to cover their own hotel's wear and tear.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, there's no AC/heating and way too noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank easyHwolf

Reviewed 16 November 2013

All in all, we were happy with our stay here. The rooms were clean, staff was friendly and accommodating.

Pros: Good price and location, clean rooms, lots of tv channels, friendly staff, and nice free breakfasts.

Cons: Thin walls (people walking/talking outside are very audible in the room), it was cold while we were there and the heater they supplied did not work very well.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2013

great place to stay. Hot showers with plenty of pressure, good breakfast everymornig, and everyone working there is very helpful and kind. Close to plaza de armas which is a good area to find food, beverages and do some shopping. They have storage lockers so when i was gone for 5 days on the salkantay trek they kept my luggage safe, secure and when i got back they had it in my room waiting for me.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

The first night we stayed it's was perfect we really enjoyed the quality of this place as well as the people working there. We had hot shower,wifi sometimes weak but ok,good breakfast, close to plaza de armas,the rooms are relatively warm but if you want they will lend you a heater(much needed after staying at a hotel the previous night with no heater) very clean, a little noisy though at night in the room we had, but overall it was good, David the receptionist is great, they held our luggage For free while we backpacked a few nights in Olly and AC staying in hostels, it was really nice to come back to a good hotel after all that. I recommend this hotel to everyone

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This is a terrific, charming hotel in the Historic district of Cuzco, near the Santa Catalina Convent, and just a few blocks from the Plaza de Armas. We stayed here 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our room was small but pleasantly furnished and clean. The bed in the standard room was too small for my 6’4 husband, but there were adequate blankets on the bed. We had no problem with hot water and WIFI in the room worked well. The hotel does not have an elevator, but we managed just fine getting our luggage to the 3rd floor. A buffet breakfast was included in the price and was quite good. The front desk staff was pleasant, professional, and offered great advice and service. Overall for $60 a night, I would highly recommend this little hotel. I would definitely stay here again, although perhaps in a room with a larger bed, and I would definitely spend more time in Cuzco than just 3 days. There is so much to see in this incredible city.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

I would like to first say how extremely nice and helpful the staff is here! From our check in to the hotel and all the way to the check out, the reception as well as the rest of the staff was always there to help and answer any questions we had. Not only that, but they were always extremely polite with a smile on them. I felt like they legitimately wanted to help. The hotel was always clean, beds were comfortable and there was always hot water in the bathrooms. Breakfast was delicious, and prices for bottled water and sodas in the front desk were very reasonable. It is also very close to many beautiful sights, markets and the town plaza. Some take a little walking, but nothing bad. The walks are very nice, and there is always something to see. I myself like walking a lot, and I found the location of this hotel excellent to the many attractions and historic sights Cusco has to offer. My only criticism would be the wifi. The hotel does offer it, but it was very sketchy. There are three levels in the hotel, and each level has a different wifi signal. There were times when the internet worked well and fast, and other times not at all. I noticed at night it was harder to connect. However, the wifi in the lobby, almost always worked well. I only had one incident in the lobby were it completely shut down on me. Im actually writing this review within the wifi of the lobby, and it works perfectly!
I would very much recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Cusco!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Adolfo G
Reviewed 30 July 2013

A great little gem tucked away but close to everything. Rooms are small but comfortable and the breakfast is more than adequate. The staff was awesome, always ready to help. Cynthia Bruu was most helpful in getting us a room and hooked up with Zoraida at Trip Cusco. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple