“Excelente!”

Che Lagarto Hostel Cusco
Ranked #114 of 498 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I had the opportunity to travel to a lot of beautiful places and to meet a lot of wonderful people. The majority of these wonderful people I've met in the hostels I have been staying in. So far, one of the best hostels ever, has been Che Lagarto in Cusco.
The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms themselves are good, it's really close to the main plaza and it just provides a great atmosphere.
It's a really nice place and I highly recommend it!

Los extraño mucho Che Lagarto people! <3

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Very friendly people at the front desk! They are always thoughfull and willing to help you to set up trip and visits. Nice cost benefit ratio. Good location. A nice place to meet people from other places to hang out with.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed in Che Lagarto Hostel Cusco for 5 nights. It was a good place, near to the historic center and the central square. It was too easy to find. It wasn't expensive enought, but the breakfast was nothing special.
The staff were always very polite, and always very busy. Sometimes, there was a problem with the security, so you must to take care of your things very well (Someone stole the mobile to a brazilian tourist). So you must to take your padlock for the locker!
The rooms are big and it was always very clean. It was wifi and It was work very well, but weren't many computers enough and the computers were too slow!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Only stayed here for one night after Machupicchu and didn't spent much time in the hostel. Stayed in a twin private which had one double bed and a single bed. It also had a TV with some channels in English and a bathroom with reliable hot water. The hostel is in a good location, right next to Plaza San Francisco a 5 minute walk to the main square Plaza de Armas. Wifi was a bit unpredictable and kept going on and off. Other than this the room was comfy, and had a heater, a bonus in the winter in Cusco! Not as modern as the Lima Che Lagarto but a comfortable stay.

Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 6 January 2013

My experience at this hostel was quite bad. Like some others reviewers said when I arrived I had problems with my bookings. I booked through hostel world and when I arrived they made me check my email to see which rate I had to pay. Then they tried to put me in 8 dorm when I had booked a 6 ensuite dorm. I protested and they put me in the right room, saying though that I had to pay the difference! crazy! I insisted again, and refused to pay. It was New Years eve so I had no where else to go! But that's not it! the night before going to Machu Pichu I booked a taxi through them and the clearly overcharged me by doubling the rate. After arranging the time to be picked up I went to bed. After I fell asleep a guy from the reception came shaking me in my bed trying to wake me up because he didn't remember what time I wanted my taxi to arrive!!!! And finallly....after returning from Machu Pichu I was exhausted and wanted a shower, but people from other rooms started to come into mine to use my bathroom. The bathroom of another room had broken and instead of sending the people of this room to the common bathroom the send them to my room! As i protested to reception the woman working there was very rude and told me that I wasn't in a private room so there were allowed to send people in my room!!! My staying there was a nightmare. Staff don't know how to do their jobs and treat me very rudly.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank kimuse
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Overall, this is a very good hostel which served our needs well - very friendly staff, shower with hot water, clean, TV in the bedroom, access to the internet & WIFI and a very comfy bed! Staff were very helpful, even popping out to a shop late at night to get us shampoo & soap when we realised we'd lost ours because we were too tired to go out ourselves having spent all day trekking! Nice view of the city. We recommend this as somewhere to stay, particularly if you want a convenient location near the Plaza De Aramas.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms the best - nice view of city, very spacious!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lauren O
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Save yourself the hassles and find someplace else. The hostel was freezing cold at night- the windows didn't fully shut and there is no heating. And this is in a city that reaches the 30s (fahrenheit) at night. They claim to have heated rooms, but they only use space heaters and they don't have very many. There was no hot water either. This would be one thing in a super cheap hotel, but I was charged $50 a night for what was basically camping. The breakfast was plain bread, period. Ther was a broken toaster if you wanted plain, burnt bread. Whenever I asked for help they told me to come back later. even when I asked for extra blankets they wouldn't help. Despite the fact that I could see they had unused rooms (with blankets that weren't being used either!

There was also a huge noise problem. I was up half the night because they have a bar right next to the rooms and pump out techno non stop. I don't think they realize that many of their customers have early morning connections to Machu Picchu and don't appreciate the noise.

They are pretty unscrupulous too. I booked three nights, but after the first night I decided to move someplace better. They wouldn't refund a cent or even apologize for the poor service. I scouted other hotels in town and found dozens of other, great options, so if you are looking for something in Cusco, keep looking! There are much better places out there!

Room Tip: Insist on seeing a room and getting a heater in it (and turned on) and testing the hot water before...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo