“simply stunning but a nice splurge”

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
Ranked #10 of 173 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We spent alot of time in this hotel as we suffered from a huge amount of altitude sickness . So I feel well informed of the facilities here. Room service was very accommodating and mostly punctual. The pool was a true oasis and well worth spending a relaxing few hours. There was a supermarket near by and the main square. Our day trip tour was booked through the hotel and we were for the most part happy with it. The rooms and tv were wonderful. I would love to come back one day.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank champagne007blogspot
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and leave your comments.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed our service and the facilities we offer as well as our convenient location.

We look forward to having you back.

JW Marriott Cusco

Write a ReviewReviews (2,959)

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Having just spent 5 nights at this property, this was my impression: Property itself is incredible if not unbelievable. An ancient building built literally on top of Inca ruins as evidenced by a fully visible excavation located in the sub-basement. Very tastefully converted into a luxurious hotel of JW quality. As mentioned by others, the rooms are on the small side but very well appointed with superior finishes.
Occupancy level was low as we frequently felt as if we were nearly their only guests and were often greeted by name. Staff was very accommodating if not exceedingly so.
It's a newer property and the staff is still in a training mode but it was not a big deal; most things were executed quite well. Normally we avoid eating dinner in hotels, opting to experience local cuisine but due to initial altitude sickness (11,000'+), we decided to eat in the hotel and were very satisfied. Next night we dined out at a local favorite but found the food at the JW far superior in every respect. Morning buffet at the JW was also very good with a wide range of tasty choices.
As Platinum Elite Marriott members, we have been to many Marriott properties around the world; this was a very nice experience. I recommend this hotel for quality and value.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd Floor with a wonderful view of Cusco.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments through the Trip Advisor website. We very much appreciate your feedback; an invaluable tool in search of the excellence.

We are really pleased to know that we could exceed your expectations regarding the quality in our products and the value of the infrastructure. On the other hand, we will take care all your suggestions with our management department in search of the excellence.

We look forward to welcoming you again, in order to share with you our special blend of JW Marriott and Peruvian hospitality.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Our family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids-12yr & 9 yr) spent 3 nights here at the end of our week in Peru. First impression is of the dramatic yet gorgeous entrance to the front desk. They've done a great job of incorporating the architectural integrity of the former monastery throughout this large property. As with most other posters, upon arrival to reception we were led to the seating/waiting area by the much needed warm fireplace (at least in March!). Our registration was processed quickly & we were given a room on the 3rd floor facing the courtyard. We never had an issue with outside noise at anytime during our stay. I do remember thinking though that I wouldn't want the rooms on the 1st floor. Just seems like a high-traffic corridor with people going to/from the elevator on the far side of the building.

Back to our room.....loved the decor & felt it had plenty of space for all 4 of us. We had 2 beds, large dresser w/flat screen on top, desk, & sitting chair w/small side table. The bathroom was convenient w/sink & closet area separate from tub/shower/toilet. Closets were very big w/lots of storage & light that comes on when doors are opened. Only complaint of bathroom is something that'll likely never change & that's the size of the shower. In this beautiful, modern hotel where every detail has been thought of, the shower area is almost claustrophobic! Fantastic pressure, steady water temps, & yummy smelling shampoos just didn't make up for the fact that there's VERY little room for movement. And don't even think of shaving your legs in there ladies!

We had breakfast included as platinum members & were impressed w/the large variety of food available. We weren't there during "busy" season but it was the week before Easter & seemed quite full during peak breakfast hours. I'm curious if there will be an issue with table space during the busier months to come? Service was inconsistent but they were all very eager & trying their best. This was one of the areas where there are probably a few kinks to work out before I'd consider it up to par w/other JW's we've stayed at.

Other thoughts.....
*Room service for a late dinner one night was delicious! Kids wanted to eat it every night!
*Pool area is awesome but water in pool needs to be cooler. (Yep, I said cooler!) Hot tub was soooo hot that they had to drain it & refill so people didn't scald their skin. Loved the shower area - you'll see what I mean! Pool area is where a few adjustments here & there will provide improvement with time.
*If you keep walking past the spa/pool, you'll be able to see some of the ruins they've preserved during construction. Pretty cool to see.
*Reception provided umbrellas to use while out & about during rainy weather.
*We didn't utilize the courtyard area cuz of either rain or not enough time but it would be a cool place to hang out & have a drink, read, or just people watch!
*Location of hotel is perfect & central to all the "must see" sights.

We would absolutely recommend this property to anyone staying in Cusco! Almost forgot, we previously stayed @ the Libertador (when it just opened!) & while also a wonderful hotel, would choose the JW again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank hopper25

Dear Guest,

We are really pleased to know that we were able to exceed your expectations regarding the room facilities and amenities we offer. On the other hand, we would like to inform you that we will work carefuly in all your suggestions in order to avoid the reocurrece of all kind of incidents again in the future.

Thank you for choosing JW Marriott for your stay in Cusco. We look forward to welcoming again in the near future, and share with you our special blend of JW Marriott and Peruvian hospitality.

Reviewed 3 April 2013 via mobile

I planned to arrive to Cusco for a friend's 50th and check myself into my usual basic hotel/hostel to use as base camp. Boarding the LAN flight in Lima my youthful backpacker resolve failed me after 2 weeks of 16 hour days at my mountain lodge up north, realizing I was burnt out I made a reservation whilst sat on the plane for 2 nights in the Marriott. I know all the luxury hotels in Cusco but had heard that the New Marriott that was 6 years in the making, built restoring the ruins of the St Augustine Convent, was something that needed to be seen to be believed.
Arriving at the hotel just one block from the main square I wandered in off the noisy street to a haven of peace, calm and tranquility. My booking was waiting for me and well before the advertised check in time I was soon beating the creases out of my shoulders in the steaming hot shower - a nice touch that the shower head is actually built into the ceiling. It's worth having a wander down through to the spa where JWM has done a excellent job of preserving the original walls of the convent, past these you will find the spa where I enjoyed wandering down to each morning in the fluffy robe to float around in the pool and jacuzzi before a sauna and steam room. I was lucky enough to get a tour of the operational levels where I was SUPER impressed to see the oxygen plant for the rooms and that they filter out the soap from the laundry water before it leaves the hotel. Our planet does everything for us and most of us do little for it so it is refreshing to see that such a successful hotel makes the investment of doing the right thing. The hotel has TWO generators and TWO fuel stores incase mains electricity goes out, having built my boutique mountain lodge at 3500m I understand how important redundancy planning is and this hotel is an example to us all.
The rooms of course cannot be faulted, and I did try to find something wrong, I was disappointed to not be able to leave any "constructive" feedback as this is an enjoyable pastime of mine. The sheets are lush - I must find out who their supplier is, the marble in the bathroom expertly fitted, the layout rather ingenious - I may be copying it. The decor classic and understated clean lines.
I am currently sitting out on their huge terrace by the babbling pool enjoying the most excellent buffet breakfast before my flight out of Cusco, I have now been here for 4 nights rather than the original 2 that I booked.
My only slight concern is that it is so perfect at the hotel that I perhaps didn't explore the surroundings as much as I have in the past, but on the other hand I now have the perfect reason to come back in June with my girlfriend for her birthday.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank TrekOficionado

Dear Guest,

We are really pleased to know that we were able to exceed your expectations regarding the room facilities, the service provided from our staff and the value of our engineering department. We will definitely extend your comments to the person in charge of those areas.
On the other hand, we will take care of all the suggestions with the management in order to avoid the reocurrece of all kind of incidents again in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you once again, in order to share with you our special blend of JW Marriott and Peruvian hospitality.

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Upon arrival at the hotel you're immediately impressed by the beauty of the architecture and decor. They greet you by inviting you to sit in the lobby while someone on staff checks you in. They offer you coca tea or on another warm beverage as well. In our case, our service took longer than other people who walked in after us, so that was slightly annoying. On the other hand, we did get to the hotel earlier than normal check in time and our room was available, after a 40 minute wait...again slightly annoying but we did get there early.

Our room was small but it did have everything we needed. Having stayed at a different hotel in Cusco for $89 per night, which met all of my needs, I appreciated the small luxuries of a comfortable bed and beautiful bathroom with a rain shower head which my husband loved... However I'm still not sure if it was worth the extra $200.. What I did not appreciate was the shower that constantly leaked water no matter what you did and the tiny size of the shower that barely fit one person trying to scrub their feet.

The service at the hotel also left a lot to be desired. I understand it is a new hotel however being a regular customer at the JW Marriott in Lima I expected that same caliber of service. When my husband felt altitude sickness on our last day there, we finally found out that we could activate the oxygen flow into the bedroom because I asked for an oxygen tank for him. Had someone informed us of this sort of amenity at the check in it would have been a lot easier to prevent the illness altogether.

The service at the restaurant is also inconsistent. While we had great but slow service at the Hotel's main restaurant, the bar had terrible service. I wasn't the only one who had to walk up to the bar to ask for their drink order. I understand taking a long time with a prepared drink but when all you're asking for is bottled water and someone and clearly doesn't feel well in the group I believe good service would require someone to provide the water quickly. As a side note their pizza was terrible and also inconsistent as the guy next to me ordered the same thing yet his pizza looked completely different. Our waiter never bothered to ask about our meal or even look our way After he took our order. A different waiter came by to ask if he could retire our plates and that's when I commented that the pizza was almost inedible because it was burnt. At that time I asked for the check Which also took them a long time to bring. I had to ask twice.

In summary, make sure that when you check-in you get a full explanation of the hotels amenities and services. Also be wary of the service at the bar. If it looks busy you're better off going somewhere else unless you want to get upset. The hotel is beautiful and you appreciate the detail they put into the decor. Do not expect a large room unless you're paying hefty price for it. And also as a gold member myself I didn't get an upgrade and only got the amenity of free breakfast the first day and free internet, fyi I did use points on holiday weekend. Until this hotel gets its stuff completely together, it's probably a hit or miss experience.

Room Tip: I'd suggest choosing a higher floor and a room away from the elevators to avoid hearing the mus...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WanderingLlamas

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your comments through the Trip Advisor website.

I would like to extend my sincere apologies for not being able to exceed your expectations with our Hotel facilities from the beginning of your stay and the quality of service did not reach your satisfaction. This is not the image we would like that our guests leave with, rest assured that we will work on those process to improve the arrival and departure experience.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services, we will looking forward to welcoming you in the near future in order to reverse this negative perception and assist you properly.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed 31 March 2013

Just checked-out today, and am happy with my stay. Disclosure: my Marriott Rewards status is Gold. An overview:

PROS
Prior to Arrival
• I was able to use points during a busy weekend (although I booked far ahead)
• The hotel arranged ground transportation from the airport for me in advance

Upon Arrival
• Perfect location (between Plaza de Armas and San Blas)
• Complimentary coca tea always available
• I checked-in sitting down in the lobby
• My room was available at 8:00 a.m.
• I was given complimentary breakfast buffet for my Gold status, even though it was a weekend (many Marriotts close their concierge suite on weekend) and I used points (some international Marriotts the include breakfast in the stay do not offer it with free stays)

Common Areas
• Nice ambience and decor

Guestrooms
• Plenty of marble in bathroom
• Lighted extendable make-up mirror
• Separate bath and shower
• Shelf space around sink
• Hot, hot shower
• Responsive thermostat (not necessarily a given in South American hotels)
• Nice linens and tucked-in sheets
• Halogen lighting
• No outside noise

The most inpressive part of my stay was the concierge/front desk staff helping me when a taxi driver may have been trying to rip me off. I demanded that he return me to the hotel. They were great about calling another cab, helping me with my bags, ensuring the new driver was legit, etc.

CONS
• Shortly after I entered my room, there was a knock on the door and before I could answer a guy was attempting to open my door. I had the deadbolt on, so he couldnt. I yelled what he wanted and he replied that he was checking to see if my room was ok. Creepy and inappropriate.
• Cold lobby. I didn't want to hang here (the front desk people even wore jackets)

All in all, staying at the JW Marriott Hotel in Cusco was a positive experience and I appreciate them looking out for me (solo female traveler).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

We are really pleased to know that we were able to exceed your expectations regarding the room facilities and the service provided from our staff. On the other hand, we will definitely take care all your suggestions with the management in order to avoid the reocurrece of all kind of incidents again in the future.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

We stayed there on our first night in Cusco and will spend another night on our way out - looking forward to it. The location was excellent, a few minutes walk to Cathedral, Plaza de Armas and Sun temple. So glad I cancelled our previous reservation w Orient Express Hotel Monasterio. The ovation was quiet but convenient with bars and restaurants lining the streets. The ambience of the previous convent being converted into the JW Marriott is breathtaking. The service was courteous and attentive - just as expected. The rooms - whilst being on the small side - made up for its la k of space with decor and functionality and outstanding bath with tub and shower and separate vanity area outside. The bfst buffet was one of the best we ever encountered during any of our stays in a luxury property. It was brunch style offering pollo, beef etc for those travelers seeking for a filling brunch to be able to skip on lunch.

On the negative: We did experience noise issues coming from the bar/ bfst area early in the morning. A band was playing outrageously loud right in front of our 2 rooms - we feel they should not have rent those rooms knowing the band will be starting to practice at 7am !!!! Since we were exhausted from our travels we booked two rooms (2 adults, 2 kids) to get rest -

We made sure to be accommodated on second level, away from lobby for our next stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments through the Trip Advisor Website. We very much appreciate your feedback; an invaluable tool in search of the excellence.

Despite the fact that you experienced some inconveniences regarding the noise near your room, we are pleased to know that we exceed your expectations regarding the service from our staff and you could find a warm and inviting atmosphere.

We look forward to welcoming you in the not too distance future, in order to share with you our special blend of JW Marriott and Peruvian hospitality. Please let us know whether you would plan to visit us again in order to serve you as you deserve.

Cordially yours,