“Nothing but the BEST”

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
Ranked #10 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Planned a unique vacation to Cusco to visit the Sacred Valley and decided on JW Marriott, if I go again it will be the hotel. Rooms impeccable, a Convent turned into a hotel with so much details and the rooms so well planned. Walking distance to Cusco City Center. Cannot miss their Choclano con Macerrado de Coco.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience during your stay with us.

As you well mentioned we are located in what was the Agustines’ Monastery that was built in 1560, we are so glad that you could appreciate the historical value of our property as well as the comfort of our rooms and the good taste of our pisco macerated at the bar.

I hope you enjoyed to visit to Cusco downtown and the ruins nearby like Sacsayhuaman and that you could enjoy also the Sacred Valley of the Incas.

Thank you very much for your preference and for choosing us as your destination on your visit to the magical city of Cusco.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

The hotel is in a great central location for sightseeing and browsing Cusco city. The Cathedral is 2 minutes walk away, good shops, bars and restaurants nearby, even a little supermarket 2 minutes along the road.

The breakfast buffet is good, varied selection, well presented.
I didn't have dinner there as the restaurant and bar just lack atmosphere, not welcoming or inviting at all!
Sitting around in the library/lobby area is not inviting either as farrrrr too cold!

They do supply generous amounts of Coca and herbal teas 24 hrs in reception which is a nice touch and in general the reception staff are very nice. They do a daily, evening free tour of the Monastery converted building which is interesting.

My room was clean, comfy bed, stocked with water daily, OK service.

However the Spa which they seem to pride themselves on lacks in atmosphere and service. Forever no large towels went i went there! The staff are not particularly friendly or helpful either.
But the worst thing is the temperatures of the facilities. The steam room is scoldingly hot, the beautiful 'relaxation pool' is by FAR TOO hot, people were complaining we could just not sit or move around it for too long, we had to get out it was just overwhelming with the heat and uncomfortable. No cold air circulates in the room and it's just so uncomfortable. Ridiculously the pool was FAR warmer than the jaccuzzi!! Marriott do your self a favor turn and the pool temp down at least 5 degrees, save energy! and money and give comfort to your guests, thank you.

Apart the this the hotel is worth staying in if in Cusco.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your comments through the Trip Advisor website.

We appreciate the comments shared; on one side we are glad to know that our location, buffet breakfast and front desk service were to your liking but I regret that the atmosphere in our restaurants were not appropriate, in addition I would like to extend my sincere apologies for not being able to fulfill your expectations in our spa service, I can assure you that it was an isolated incident that was already resolved.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and for giving us the opportunity to know your opinion about our services, they do help us to improve in our search of excellence.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

This property is beyone typical JW standards. The architecture and design is luxury. The staff are some of the most accommodating I've ever experienced. I had altitude sickness while I was a guest. The rooms and bathrooms made me feel better! I broke my glasses and the hotel engineers fixed them for me. The breakfast buffet and food at the bar were great. If you can't stay here, have a drink at the bar and take in the architecture. If you do stay here, don't miss the pool/sauna in the lower level. The location is also cetnral. We worked through the concierge to book our Machu Picchu & Sacred Valley trips. I'm not a tour group person, but I'd use their group. Peru Sightseeing is the group the JW works with and it was well work the price. Excellent guides, good food, you feel very safe, and small groups.

Room Tip: Courtyard facing rooms are quiter.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JKtrip_advice

Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you have taken for leaving us your valuable feedback so which motivate us to continue striving for excellence.

I am pleased to know that the oxygen supply offered in our rooms allowed you to relieve the altitude sickness you suffered, it is also worth to mention that we have extended to the engineering department your comment about your glasses they fixed, for us to take care of the details is vital for our guests' stay unforgettable.

We are glad that the food and drinks offered at the bar were of your total satisfaction as we work with selected products under high quality standards. It is also rewarding to know that you could enjoy a moment of relaxation in our spa that as you said no guest should miss.

We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you in a not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We spent alot of time in this hotel as we suffered from a huge amount of altitude sickness . So I feel well informed of the facilities here. Room service was very accommodating and mostly punctual. The pool was a true oasis and well worth spending a relaxing few hours. There was a supermarket near by and the main square. Our day trip tour was booked through the hotel and we were for the most part happy with it. The rooms and tv were wonderful. I would love to come back one day.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank champagne007blogspot
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and leave your comments.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed our service and the facilities we offer as well as our convenient location.

We look forward to having you back.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Having just spent 5 nights at this property, this was my impression: Property itself is incredible if not unbelievable. An ancient building built literally on top of Inca ruins as evidenced by a fully visible excavation located in the sub-basement. Very tastefully converted into a luxurious hotel of JW quality. As mentioned by others, the rooms are on the small side but very well appointed with superior finishes.
Occupancy level was low as we frequently felt as if we were nearly their only guests and were often greeted by name. Staff was very accommodating if not exceedingly so.
It's a newer property and the staff is still in a training mode but it was not a big deal; most things were executed quite well. Normally we avoid eating dinner in hotels, opting to experience local cuisine but due to initial altitude sickness (11,000'+), we decided to eat in the hotel and were very satisfied. Next night we dined out at a local favorite but found the food at the JW far superior in every respect. Morning buffet at the JW was also very good with a wide range of tasty choices.
As Platinum Elite Marriott members, we have been to many Marriott properties around the world; this was a very nice experience. I recommend this hotel for quality and value.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd Floor with a wonderful view of Cusco.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments through the Trip Advisor website. We very much appreciate your feedback; an invaluable tool in search of the excellence.

We are really pleased to know that we could exceed your expectations regarding the quality in our products and the value of the infrastructure. On the other hand, we will take care all your suggestions with our management department in search of the excellence.

We look forward to welcoming you again, in order to share with you our special blend of JW Marriott and Peruvian hospitality.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Our family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids-12yr & 9 yr) spent 3 nights here at the end of our week in Peru. First impression is of the dramatic yet gorgeous entrance to the front desk. They've done a great job of incorporating the architectural integrity of the former monastery throughout this large property. As with most other posters, upon arrival to reception we were led to the seating/waiting area by the much needed warm fireplace (at least in March!). Our registration was processed quickly & we were given a room on the 3rd floor facing the courtyard. We never had an issue with outside noise at anytime during our stay. I do remember thinking though that I wouldn't want the rooms on the 1st floor. Just seems like a high-traffic corridor with people going to/from the elevator on the far side of the building.

Back to our room.....loved the decor & felt it had plenty of space for all 4 of us. We had 2 beds, large dresser w/flat screen on top, desk, & sitting chair w/small side table. The bathroom was convenient w/sink & closet area separate from tub/shower/toilet. Closets were very big w/lots of storage & light that comes on when doors are opened. Only complaint of bathroom is something that'll likely never change & that's the size of the shower. In this beautiful, modern hotel where every detail has been thought of, the shower area is almost claustrophobic! Fantastic pressure, steady water temps, & yummy smelling shampoos just didn't make up for the fact that there's VERY little room for movement. And don't even think of shaving your legs in there ladies!

We had breakfast included as platinum members & were impressed w/the large variety of food available. We weren't there during "busy" season but it was the week before Easter & seemed quite full during peak breakfast hours. I'm curious if there will be an issue with table space during the busier months to come? Service was inconsistent but they were all very eager & trying their best. This was one of the areas where there are probably a few kinks to work out before I'd consider it up to par w/other JW's we've stayed at.

Other thoughts.....
*Room service for a late dinner one night was delicious! Kids wanted to eat it every night!
*Pool area is awesome but water in pool needs to be cooler. (Yep, I said cooler!) Hot tub was soooo hot that they had to drain it & refill so people didn't scald their skin. Loved the shower area - you'll see what I mean! Pool area is where a few adjustments here & there will provide improvement with time.
*If you keep walking past the spa/pool, you'll be able to see some of the ruins they've preserved during construction. Pretty cool to see.
*Reception provided umbrellas to use while out & about during rainy weather.
*We didn't utilize the courtyard area cuz of either rain or not enough time but it would be a cool place to hang out & have a drink, read, or just people watch!
*Location of hotel is perfect & central to all the "must see" sights.

We would absolutely recommend this property to anyone staying in Cusco! Almost forgot, we previously stayed @ the Libertador (when it just opened!) & while also a wonderful hotel, would choose the JW again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank hopper25

Dear Guest,

We are really pleased to know that we were able to exceed your expectations regarding the room facilities and amenities we offer. On the other hand, we would like to inform you that we will work carefuly in all your suggestions in order to avoid the reocurrece of all kind of incidents again in the future.

Thank you for choosing JW Marriott for your stay in Cusco. We look forward to welcoming again in the near future, and share with you our special blend of JW Marriott and Peruvian hospitality.

Reviewed 3 April 2013 via mobile

I planned to arrive to Cusco for a friend's 50th and check myself into my usual basic hotel/hostel to use as base camp. Boarding the LAN flight in Lima my youthful backpacker resolve failed me after 2 weeks of 16 hour days at my mountain lodge up north, realizing I was burnt out I made a reservation whilst sat on the plane for 2 nights in the Marriott. I know all the luxury hotels in Cusco but had heard that the New Marriott that was 6 years in the making, built restoring the ruins of the St Augustine Convent, was something that needed to be seen to be believed.
Arriving at the hotel just one block from the main square I wandered in off the noisy street to a haven of peace, calm and tranquility. My booking was waiting for me and well before the advertised check in time I was soon beating the creases out of my shoulders in the steaming hot shower - a nice touch that the shower head is actually built into the ceiling. It's worth having a wander down through to the spa where JWM has done a excellent job of preserving the original walls of the convent, past these you will find the spa where I enjoyed wandering down to each morning in the fluffy robe to float around in the pool and jacuzzi before a sauna and steam room. I was lucky enough to get a tour of the operational levels where I was SUPER impressed to see the oxygen plant for the rooms and that they filter out the soap from the laundry water before it leaves the hotel. Our planet does everything for us and most of us do little for it so it is refreshing to see that such a successful hotel makes the investment of doing the right thing. The hotel has TWO generators and TWO fuel stores incase mains electricity goes out, having built my boutique mountain lodge at 3500m I understand how important redundancy planning is and this hotel is an example to us all.
The rooms of course cannot be faulted, and I did try to find something wrong, I was disappointed to not be able to leave any "constructive" feedback as this is an enjoyable pastime of mine. The sheets are lush - I must find out who their supplier is, the marble in the bathroom expertly fitted, the layout rather ingenious - I may be copying it. The decor classic and understated clean lines.
I am currently sitting out on their huge terrace by the babbling pool enjoying the most excellent buffet breakfast before my flight out of Cusco, I have now been here for 4 nights rather than the original 2 that I booked.
My only slight concern is that it is so perfect at the hotel that I perhaps didn't explore the surroundings as much as I have in the past, but on the other hand I now have the perfect reason to come back in June with my girlfriend for her birthday.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank TrekOficionado

Dear Guest,

We are really pleased to know that we were able to exceed your expectations regarding the room facilities, the service provided from our staff and the value of our engineering department. We will definitely extend your comments to the person in charge of those areas.
On the other hand, we will take care of all the suggestions with the management in order to avoid the reocurrece of all kind of incidents again in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you once again, in order to share with you our special blend of JW Marriott and Peruvian hospitality.