“Beautiful Hotel Let Down by Restaurant Service”

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
Ranked #8 of 168 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dublin, Ireland
“Beautiful Hotel Let Down by Restaurant Service”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We recently stayed in this hotel for 3 nights before a trek in Peru and one night following our trek.
The first 3 nights were exceptional. The hotel was excellenly located near the central square with lots of good quality nearby restaurants. The breakfast gave a broad choice of very fresh options. The rooms were high quality. The spa although small was a lovely addition to a city hotel. We did not avail of the massage facility but the hot pool, jacuzzi and heat rooms were lovely after a days sight seeing. We requested a third roll away be in our room, the first one they delivered was extremely uncomforable but this was replaced promply. The staff were extremely courteous and knowledgable about the surrounding sites on reception. The lounge area was delightful and comfortable and it was useful to have wifi available here. Our only problems with this hotel came to light after our one night return following our trek. We arrived at nearly 8 and they were playing extremely loud poor quality live music in the lobby area. No matter where you were you could not get away from it and you couldn't have a converstaion with someonw who was beside you which personally I do not think is appropriate in a relaxing lobby area in a top quality hotel. We decided to eat in the restaurant that night. We asked for a wine list but were told that there was none that it was being 'rebuilt' they advised us they had merlot and malbec for red and sauvignon or chardonnay for whites. We were not advised of prices or where the wines originated etc until we asked. We were then told 4 different prices for the sauvigon white (ranging form 110 sols to 150 sols) by different waiters who simply seemed to be guessing the answers about the wines. We also had to wait approximately an hour before water, a third menu for our party of 3 and bread was brought to our table. The food was medicore at best and you could get much better for much better value in local cusco restaurants. I am not sure if we attended on a bad night but I would expect much better food/service in any establishment especially for the prices we paid. Overall a beautiful hotel but I would avoid the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank adon1987
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear guest,

I would like to express my appreciation for sharing your valuable comments through the Trip Advisor website

Hereby we would like to extend my appreciation for choosing the JW Marriott Cusco, as a destination during your stay in this historical city. Your comments are a valuable tool for us for feedback and our improvement. This encourages us to continue in pursuit of excellence in the service we provide to our guests as important as you.

I am very pleased you enjoyed our room facilities likewise of our spa the same ones that were thought in order our guest could relax after a long day tour.

Thank you very much for mentioning our reception staff , I feel very proud each of them who are looking for to provide the best recommendation in order you could have a nice experience in this magical city.

I feel deeply sorry about the inconveniences you went through regarding the loud live music in the lobby and also in the restaurant, please accept my sincere apologies. Rest assured we will follow up every detail in order to avoid the recurrence of incidents as you experienced during your stay, our goal always will be every guest fully enjoy the services we have.

We will be looking forward to receiving you one again in the not too distance future in order to reverse your experience in our restaurant, and offer you the special combination of Cusco hospitality and the one that JW Marriott offers.

If I can be of any other assistance within the future, please do not hesitate to contact me. It will be a pleasure to assist you.

JW Marriott Cusco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights last September as part of our honeymoon to Brazil and Peru.

While we were not upgraded or given any welcome treats as lots of other hotels offered us as part of our honeymoon, the whole experience was nevertheless amazing.

The room was reasonably small but had everything you needed, was very clean and had a very comfortable bed. The spa was also great for having a nice relaxing break for a few hours, with a reasonably good sized pool and sauna etc. We didn't eat at the hotel but the bar was great for having a few drinks.

The hotel is very well located in Cusco, only a short walk away from the main square and all the various restaurants. Cusco is such a special place and there is always something to do or see.

We also had oxygen pumped into our rooms which help us to get to grips with the altitude, having flown straight in from Rio, via Lima. While neither of us suffered particularly badly, we did notice a big loss of apetitie and a little difficulty breathing on our first night so this was definitely very helpful!

The communal areas of the hotel are lovely, given it has only been restored quite recently, and the hotel even offers a free tour every day which was a nice touch. The staff are very attentive and the free coca tea in reception went down very well!

We would thoroughly recommend this hotel for a stay in Cusco!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JohnH1007
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your valuable comments through the Trip Advisor website.

I feel honored to read that you have chosen the JW Marriott Cusco for your stay in this ancient city and specially to celebrate your honeymoon, congratulations about that.

My staff and I feel really proud of the legacy we guard in the property as you mention this is a former San Augustine’s Convent that after a long restoration process became the JW Marriott Cusco, it is a really unique Hotel located in the heart of Cusco and as you mention very close from the main places to visit in this wonderful city.

I am very glad to know that you enjoy our hotel facilities like our comfortable rooms, the relaxing spa and the cozy public areas that display a unique decoration.

As you mention the oxygen system has been created for our guest in order to avoid headaches and high altitude sickness that is common by the altitude Cusco is located, I am very pleased oxygen helped you, thank you very much for share this comment with us.

We will be looking forward to receiving you one again in the not too distance future, and offer you the special combination of Cusco hospitality and the one that JW Marriott offers.

Cordially yours,

North Carolina
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Fabulous property and a great location! Kudos to Marriott for restoring this historic property.

We enjoyed our stay but disappointed by the service. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, but for this level of hotel, annoying housekeeping services were not meet. Dirty dishes from the previous occupant remained outside our room for 1/2 a day. A beautiful centerpiece of roses sat outside our door for 2 days, until we checked out. A dirty dish of fruit stayed in our room for more than 24 hours.

Sadly, I just read a recent review from May 6 about a tour of pre Inca relics at 6pm offered by the hotel in their basement that was never offered to us that we would have loved to have taken. Appears there is a breakdown in communication

All in all, despite our disappointments, this hotel IS beautiful and the restaurants are very good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Condocat
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the JW Marriott Cusco, as a destination for your stay in Peru and this beautiful city.

Hereby I would like to extend my appreciation for taking the time to share with us your valuable comments though the Trip Advisor web site. Your comments are a valuable tool for us for feedback and our improvement. This encourages us to continue in pursuit of excellence in the service we provide to our guests as important as you.

I am deeply sorry about the inconveniences you went through regarding the Housekeeping service and neither let you know about the hotel tour. Rest assured we will follow up every detail in order to avoid the recurrence of incidents as you experienced during your stay, please accept my sincere apologizes about that.

We will be looking forward to receiving you one again in the not too distance future in order to reverse your experience in our property, and offer you the special combination of Cusco hospitality and the one that JW Marriott offers.

If we can be of any other assistance within the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. It will be a pleasure to assist you.

London
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

While not flawless this is a stunning hotel in a great location close to everything. We were warmly greeted upon arrival, offered coca tea and checked in while having our tea. As a gold member we were due an upgrade but nothing was available at the time. As my wife was feeling the effects of the altitude we took whatever was offered and paid extra for 24 hour oxygen in the room.
Some of the restaurant staff are new and need extra training but were all so charming you could not get annoyed. The cleaning staff failed to replace towel in the evening but these were soon brought after calling reception.
Breakfast was excellent and we really did enjoy our stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us though the Trip Advisor website.

Hereby we would like to extend my appreciation for choosing the JW Marriott Cusco, as a destination during your stay in this ancient city.

I am very pleased to know you like our personalized check in seated near the fire place that is the perfect place to catch your breath and enjoy a hot coca tea to help you adjust to the city altitude.

Our oxygen system has been created thinking about the tranquility and security of each of our guests, helping them to adapt fast for the high altitude of this ancient City has, I hope your wife felt better with this.

Although we have some new associates at the restaurant, they strive every day to achieve the high quality service that Marriott offers, I am proud of each of them.

Please accept my apologizes regarding the towels replacement, Your comments are a valuable tool for us for feedback. This encourages us to continue in pursuit of excellence in the service we provide to our guests as important as you.

If we can be of any other assistance within the future, please do not hesitate to contact me. It will be a pleasure to assist you.

Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I found a good deal on this property and decided to splurge a bit and it was so worth it. First the location of the hotel is amazing as it is within walking distance of most of the tourist attractions in Cusco. The property itself is built within a restored Inca building and is stunningly beautiful. The buffet breakfast included in the room rate is also top notch. My room was spacious and clean with really comfortable bed for a good night's rest. This JW Marriott is definitely one of the best hotels which I've stay at anywhere in the world.

Now, if I have to find a minor fault with the hotel, I did find the service to be a bit cold. The service is very efficient as all my questions/requests were answered/filled quickly; however, I did wish the service could have been a bit more proactive with people asking me "how's your stay? anything we can do to make your stay better?"

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to express my appreciation for sharing your comments through the Trip Advisor website.

My staff and I feel really proud of the legacy we guard in the property as you mention this is a former convent that after a long restoration process became the JW Marriott Cusco, it is a really unique Hotel located in the heart of Cusco near to the main touristic places to visit in this ancient city.

I really appreciate taking the time to mention some of the guestroom features like the comfortable beds, I feel really please you felt so comfortable in the room that you did not want to leave it and also our buffet breakfast the same is prepared every morning thinking in an excellent way to star your day.

I am really sorry that you felt our service a little bit cold, rest assured we are going to work on that .Your comments are a valuable tool for us for feedback. This encourages us to continue in pursuit of excellence in the service we provide to our guests as important as you.

Warm regards,

Gerente Manager
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Beautifully restored, it only opened in 2012 and it still looks brand new. The beautiful architecture of the old monastery was magnificently restored. Decor around the hotel was just beautiful.
Location of the hotel is great and it is just two blocks from the centre of the town.
Service was superb, from checking in all the way to checking out and heading to the airport
The rooms were well sized, bed was very comfortable and the shower had great water pressure.
The breakfast buffet was good with a small selection of local food and not just pancakes, bacon and omelette.
Dinner at their restaurant was also worth trying.
However, the hotel was not with its flaws. There is free wifi in the lobby but not in the room which made many people congregating at the lobby area at all time of the day.
Also, we were initially given a room facing the main street which turn out to be very noisy. The glass windows did not have enough sound insulation from the traffic noise even at 4-5 in the morning. We demanded a room change after the first night and the request was met within a reasonable time. We did not have any problems in the new room.
Overall, the stay very wonderful and i would be recommending this hotel to all my friends that will be visiting Cusco. I think it will be very hard to find a similar hotel anywhere around the world

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest,

We thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us though the Trip Advisor website.

Hereby I would like to extend my appreciation for choosing the JW Marriott Cusco, as a destination for your stay in Peru and this historic city.

I am pleased to know that we exceeded the expectations of our most important guests like you. I feel very proud of our associates who are committed to excellence in service combined with the Marriott standards.

As you mention the hotel was aperture 2012 after a long process of remodeling and restoration of the former convent of San Augustin which we feel very proud, the same as this conveniently located two blocks from the Main Square and tourist sites more important within the city.

I feel deeply sorry about the noise outside the hotel, please accept my sincere apologizes about this, was a pleasure to have assisted with changing room, definitely our main goal is that each of our guests can rest and relax after your strenuous city tours

It is a real honor that you mention is going to be hard to find a similar hotel around the world, definitely the JW Marriott Cusco is unique especially for welcoming guests who are interested in our culture and Cusco history.

Kind regards,

Irvine, California
Reviewed 3 May 2014

A hundred yards from the main square, walk into the courtyard and you are taken to another world as you walk through the original monastery arch and into reception. Our room looked onto the beautiful courtyard with massive tapestries spread around the 2nd floor walkway and tables where we ate breakfast. There are pre Incan ruins in the basement and we took the 6pm tour, well worth the 30 minute history lesson. the staff, food, service and quality were all 100% JW standard. Highly recommended

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Peebles123
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your review through the Trip Advisor website.

It is a real honor to hear that you had a pleasant your stay and an important guest like you consider our property one of the best JW Marriott definitely is a compliment for us, thank you so much.

We are pleased to show our guests some of our rich history in the hotel tour we provide gladly and also maintain the culture, in combination with the elegance and comfort that a JW Marriott offers. Definitely the JW Marriott Cusco has become a clear example of Cusco warmth with excellent architectural work of which we are very proud.

I hope we can host you again in the near future; and share with you the perfect combination between the Peruvian hospitality and the one that JW Marriott offers.

Cordially yours,