“Many Positives”

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
Ranked #9 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel is architecturally and aesthetically pleasing: a lot of thought went into this. The location is unbeatable, too; central, as well as having TripAdvisor's top-ranked Cusco restaurant - Le Soleil - down the (side) street. The staff are genuinely pleasant.

Sensitive to noise? Ask for a courtyard room, but check if courtyard parties are planned; the music reverberates throughout the hotel. The regular/deluxe rooms aren't large, but they're well-appointed, with good reading lights, tea/coffee equipment and US-plug compatible sockets. Excellent beds and bedding, effective blackout curtains. Good water pressure; the water's hotter in the morning. Rainforest shower only, which is nice if you don't mind getting your hair wet.

There's coca tea in the lobby, and also superior Earl Grey leaf tea (ask for a strainer). The breakfast buffet is varied and excellent, with great coffee and hot chocolate, too. The breakfast ambience would be even better without the tip bowl by the egg station (!), a tip box when you sign the chit, and the waiters' persistent self-introductions. An easy fix. It remains a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Street-facing rooms are noisy, especially while a main Cusco artery is closed for repair and the tra...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Appreciated guest,

Please accept my sincere gratitude for sharing with us the experience you has experimented in the JW Marriott Cusco through the Trip Advisor website. I am pretty sure future guests will consider your valuable advises.

Regarding our property, all the staff members feel really proud of the legacy and invaluable history we guard on it, as you mention with a unique architecture, I consider is very difficult to find one similar elsewhere in the world, definitely a great job of remodeling was done without losing the essence and elegance of a JW Marriott.

It is very pleasant to read your comments concerning our cozy and comfortable rooms, certainly gratifying get tiring after a long tour of our beautiful city and find a room that invites you to relax. Besides in our spa you will find a heated relaxation pool, Jacuzzi and both, steam and dry sauna, travelers definitely will appreciated this.

I am glad that you had the opportunity to be delighted by the buffet breakfast and definitely I am going to follow your comment up, thank you very much for extend this to us.

I hope we can host you again in the near future; and share again with you the perfect combination between the Peruvian hospitality and the one that JW Marriott Cusco offers.

Have an excellent day

JW Marriott Cusco

Write a ReviewReviews (2,873)

Reviewed 18 May 2014

All that you would expect from JW, with the notable exception of an executive lounge. However, they did account for this with complimentary breakfast, which was an excellent spread that included some savory dishes that made us very eager to try the JW restaurants for dinner. Service was excellent: professional and accommodating. Rooms were spacious, clean, and well-maintained. The hotel, while in a historic region and I believe a historic building, is completely updated with a very high consideration for the historic character of Cusco. And for the ladies reading this review, I know this seems trivial, but it such a rarity that I cannot resist mentioning, the shower includes the small shelf/step for resting your foot while shaving, rather than trying to balance while showering...).

Walking distance to everything, although can be a bit inconvenient for cars. Coincidentally, the hotel will be happy to call a car for you, and if desired, charge the cost to your room (for those who are starting to run low on cash, as we were).

Yet another excellent JW experience.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Elite Member,

While reading your review I felt honored for such generous and yet honest report. I feel really happy that you could share your valuable experience at the JW Marriott Cusco in the Trip Advisor website. I am sure that our future guests will be inspired by your review.

As you mention the hotel holds a very unique history; this hotel is the former San Augustine’s convent that after a long restoration process became in the JW Marriott Cusco.

I am glad that you enjoy our delicious breakfast buffet, the guestroom that we carefully prepare to be receive our guest but moreover our professional and accommodating service.

I would like to invite you to join the daily tour site in the property on next visit to the JW Marriott Cusco so you can discovery more of the heritage we guard.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The JW Marriott in Cuzco is not only beautiful and well located near the central square but the staff could not be more helpful. It is a great hotel for families, singles, and couples traveling to Cuzco for any reason. We used it as a jumping off point for our trip to the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. The restaurant is excellent. The bar food could be better but has good drinks. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a room that is not on the street in front of the hotel. During the morning rush hour the ro...

Dear guest,

Hereby I would like to extend you my appreciation for sharing with us your review through the Trip Advisor website.

I am honored that you have decided to choose the JW Marriott Cusco as a place to stay during your vacations in this magical city.

Our property, clearly well located was built on the foundations of the convent of the Augustinian, as you mentioned we try to be the perfect destination site for families, couples and business people. Thank you for your kind words and for mentioning our staff helpfulness; this is definitely one of the things I feel proud the most. I am glad that you had the chance to be delighted by our Pirqa Restaurant food and definitely we will listen to you feedback regarding the bar.

I hope that in the not so distance future we can welcome you back at the JW Marriott Cusco

Warm regards,

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Fabulous and accomodating. Quite location right in the middle of town. Walking distance to everything worth seeing here. Staff were super helpful from manager to janitorial crew. Alwats a friendly greeting.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

Please accept my gratitude for your preference to JW Marriott Cusco. Sincerely honored that you have trusted us for your stay in this beautiful city

I totally agree with you when you mention the hotel is well located, two blocks from the main plaza and the most important places to visit in Cusco, definitely better location than ours do not think so.

I am happy to know our staff was able to exceed your expectations, I feel very proud each of them that take care of every detail in order to do a better experience.

I will be looking forward to receiving you one again in the not too distance future, and offer you the special combination of Cusco hospitality and the one that JW Marriott offers.

If we can be of any other assistance within the future, please do not hesitate to contact me . It will be a pleasure to assist you.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stupendous service from the moment we arrived to checkout. Great breakfast and atompshere in the evenings. Clean spacious rooms and a very nice sleep. The hotel accomodated our bags as we left Cusco for a few days with no issue. Enjoyed the pool/spa as well. Hope to return to this property someday soon.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Let us express our appreciation for sharing your review through the TripAdvisor website.

Hereby, I would like to express my gratitude for choosing the JW Marriott Cusco for your stay in this ancient city.

I am really please you had a great experience with us, from the start on arrival time to the end we wish you enjoyed every minute at the hotel.

As you mention we give all the facilities to our guest in order you could go to Machupicchu without worrying about your baggage, the same at the time when you come back to the property, those are already delivered in our room, the only think you have to do, are just relax and enjoy our comfortable and cozy beds.

I am really please to know you enjoyed our outlets like our breakfast, that definitely were thinking in a good way to start a long day, the relaxing spa. Please let me tell you that your valuable comment encourages us to pursuit the service you are looking for and definitely you deserve.

On the other hand if you would think about coming back to Cusco, please feel free to contact us; it will be more than a pleasure to assist you.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 May 2014

First TIP: The best money exchange rate in Peru was a small shop right across the street from the hotel. 2.75 Peruvian soles = 1 US dollar. At Lima airport it was 2.53 to $1US, a 10% difference!

Was considering some highly rated B&B for half the price, but in the end I was happy with this choice. The hotel itself is beautiful. The look is old world, but everything seems brand new, very clean. Free breakfast and they give out free bottled water nightly and upon request. Bottled water is needed since you can't drink the tap water. Just a short walk to Plaza de Armas which is a fantastic place. Lots of nice places to eat nearby the hotel as well as the hotel restaurant itself. One thing to note, first night we got a room on the 2nd floor right above the street. It was pretty NOISY. Request a room away from the street. Also the altitude got to us the first night. Woke up with a splitting headache, but it subsided after a few hours with aspirin (maybe should have bought the oxygen?). Service is exceptional and the people are all very nice and professional.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back away from the street
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear guest,

I would like to express my appreciation for taking a moment to write your review through the Trip Advisor web site.

I feel very pleased when I read you chose the JW Marriott Cusco as home to stay in this beautiful city , please accept my gratitude for that.

As you mention the hotel certainly well located in the heart of Cusco, is an example of hard work restoration of the former convent of the Augustinian, our hotel represents the combination of the history with the details of a JW Marriott .

I am very glad to know you really enjoy our facilities and service, our main goal is that our guest takes the best memories having an exceptional experience. Thank you very much for mentioning our service I am pleased to know that we exceeded the expectations of our most important guests like you.

I hope we can host you again in the near future; and share with you the perfect combination between the Peruvian hospitality and the one that JW Marriott offers.

If I may assist you with something else, please contact me directly will be an honor do it.
Have a pleasant day,

Reviewed 17 May 2014

The blend of Inca stone with modern day luxury is the allure of this gorgeous hotel. We stayed twice, the first room on the fourth floor had a small window which provide views of Cusco on the hills. Great. The second room was 341 overlooking the courtyard -with a balcony. The service and authentic warmth of the employees like Luciana, Andrea, Giovanni worked with us to help save our airline problems. Bring a swimsuit because you will want to go to the spa pool to relax and reflect on the day's sightseeing. Anita is awesome with her deep tissue massage. The service and food in the hotel restaurant is excellent. I had no problems with eating the salad and their onsite bakery produces the best rolls. The morning's buffest has everything you could possibly choose and sustained us until dinner. The waiters Maria Gracia, Manuel, Eddy and George turned the experience into a great memory.

Room Tip: The fourth floor rooms give a good view above the roofline, they are a bit smaller but loved the vie...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear guest,

Hereby I would like to extend my appreciation for choosing the JW Marriott Cusco, as a destination for your stay in this magical city and also for sharing your beautiful review with us through the Trip Advisor web site.

Thank you for appreciating the heritage that this property guards; I agree with you when you mention that this is a gorgeous hotel blending the modern assets and luxury.

It really flatters me to read your generous comments regarding our service and makes me proud that my team members took care of the small details to make you feel welcome and appreciated. Rest assure that I will personally congratulate Luciana Cabrera, Andrea Valdivia, Giovanni Murillo, Maria Gracia Troncoso, Manuel Aguayo, Eddy Arapa and George Cruz for crafting great memories.

I look forward to welcome you again at the JW Marriott Cusco, so you can keep on discovering the magic of this ancient city.

Please if there is anything I may assist you in the future do not hesitate to contact me personally.