“Overall a remarkable hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
Ranked #7 of 162 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Overall a remarkable hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We had two stays, before and after our trip to Machu Picchu. We were on a half-board package at a super price. On our first stay, the reception worked well and we were very impressed with the upgraded balcony room we were given. Only one item on the a la carte menu was excluded so we ate some great meals. Breakfast was extensive. The staff were so pleasant and friendly and had a worrying ability to remember names. Our second visit was not quite so smooth, a long wait in the rather chilly reception area and the need to see several rooms before a satisfactory one was produced (windows do not open even though the balcony door did!!). But the quality of dinner and the staff compensated.
A small sour note is that they agree a dollar rate and then refuse to charge in dollars, using a rate that is a few percent in their favour. Why do they do this in a five star hotel?
Thoroughly recommend hotel, one of the best around.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Appreciate guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your valuable comment trough the Trip Advisor website.

Hereby, please I would like to extend my appreciation for choosing the JW Marriott Cusco as a destination for your stay in our city.

I felt deeply pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and dinner and more over that you appreciated the genuine and kind service of our staff, I feel very proud each of our associates who are committed to provide an excellent service ever they are really good Marriott Ambassadors.

I am deeply sorry about the inconveniences you went through in your second stay, definitely is not the memory we wish our guest takes with them specially of an important guest as you, our goal is to achieve the overall guest satisfaction and if we have to improve some process, we will do, thank you very much for extend us your feedback that definitely is a tool for our improvement.

JW Marriott Cusco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Clovis, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Central location , impeccable service , thoughtful staff, excellent rooms and good food . What more can you ask? We arrived after long tiring flights and were happy reach the hotel. Check in swift and courteous, rooms well appointed and the internet is indeed high speed.

Room Tip: At that altitude any room is good and cozy.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Warmest regards from the JW Marriott Cusco, I would like to extend you my gratitude for choosing our property as a place to stay in this wonderful city and also for sharing with us your comments through the Trip Advisor Website.

I am really flattered that really enjoyed you stay with us and that you found our service as IMPECCABLE, certainly our goal is to create unforgettable memories to our guest and take care of every single detail you may need from arrival to departure.

I hope we can host you again in the near future; and share again with you the perfect combination between the Peruvian hospitality and the luxury of JW Marriott Cusco.

Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the Cusco Marriott for 2 nights in April. The hotel is beautiful..lots of character. Checkin was smooth an easy..we sat in the lounge area and everything came to us..never stood at the desk to check in...checkin always take a little longer in a foreign country due to passport copies etc but it was nice to sit and relax. We did also visit the pool spa area. Very relaxing area but you have to search it out. The hotel is alsoIn A great location and easily walkable to shops, sights etc. highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Appreciate guest,

On behalf of JW Marriott associates, please accept our most sincere gratitude for making such a wonderful review of our property through the Trip Advisor website.

I feel really glad that you liked our check in process planned to provide a perfect welcome to our guest and give you the time to sit and enjoy your welcome drink next to the cozy fireplace, while we take care of everything you may need. It is very nice to hear that you enjoyed our spa and the relaxation pool, I hope you had the chance to get in the steam room, the sauna, whirlpool and the chromo therapy showers we offer at the SPA.

It will be a pleasure to receive you back again in our property in order to keep providing the service you deserve and expect. Also If I can be of any other assistance within the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It will be a pleasure to assist you.

Tegucigalpa, Honduras
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The best JW Marriott I have ever stayed in. The location is perfect, the design, the look and feel, the service, the food....everything is very well done. Will most definitely recommend this hotel for any occasion. This is a true gem in Cusco!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Let me express my appreciation for sharing with us and travelers your beautiful review through the Trip Advisor website.

It is a real honor that you consider the JW Marriott Cusco as the best hotel you ever stayed in.
Thank you very much for that generous comments definitely this encourages us to continue in pursuit of excellence in the service and the facilities we provide to our guests.

I am really glad that you found our location as perfect and that you enjoyed the Hotel’s design and look and that our service and food exceed your expectations.

I hope we can welcome you back at the JW Marriott Cusco so your can keep on discovering the history of this enigmatic place as well as the culinary offer of the city.

Cordially yours,

Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Cusco is a combination of Inca and Spanish cultures; this hotel is a centrally located, renovated convent. We stayed on Marriott points, but as other reviewers mentioned, this is not a budget property. A short walk to the fabulous downtown plaza, Staff is very helpful and attentive. Lobby is large but for some bizarre reason is poorly lit (even the reception desk) and quite cold in mornings (even in May). If catching the train to Maccu Pichu the hotel will prepare an excellent breakfast to go. Large open central area (former cloister). Lobby has coca tea always available to help counter altitude effects. Rooms large and well-furnished. All hotel water is filtered and safe to drink and the hotel is one of the few places in Peru where you may flush the used toilet paper.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Appreciate guest,

Greetings from the JW Marriott Cusco, please accept my gratitude for your preference to our property and also for sharing your comment with us trough the Trip Advisor website that is definitely a tool for improvement.

As you mention Cusco reflects the combination of two important cultures the Inca and the Spanish and this property is a clear example. During the Inca era this land belonged to the Koricancha Palace and with the arrival of the Spanish to Cusco came the Evangelization process that brought different religious groups; one of them were the Augustines. They started the construction of Saint Augustine Monastery on 1560 and now a day holds the JW Marriott Cusco. Also, I would like to mention that we have 2 exhibition areas showcasing the pre-Inca, Inca and Colonial civilization vestiges.

Thank you for rating our staff as helpful and attentive, I feel really pleased that we could fulfilled your expectations in service; we are always looking for ways to make our guest stay more enjoyable like having the tea station in the front desk with a variety los local herbs and delicious fruit teas and the very appropriate breakfast to go so you can enjoy your favorite pastries on your way to Machu Picchu. Thank you for your feedback on the lighting and temperature, please rest assured I am going to follow up on those.

Sincerely I hope to have the change to host you again at the JW Marriott Cusco!

Kind regards,

Marietta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband stayed here for 4 nights in May and really enjoyed our stay. The breakfast buffet is great, but not worth the money if you have to pay (Marriott Rewards members get it free as a perk). The public spaces are lush and comfortable, and the staff is very friendly. The only drawback we experienced was the very small bathroom. The shower had great pressure but you could barely move in it, and our king room had a single sink so my husband and I had to take turns using it.

The spa/pool area was also nice, although the hot tub was never as hot as we would like (and we couldn't find out how to adjust it) and the steam room smelled mildewy. The pool is beautiful.

We would stay again and recommend to friends who aren't on a budget... this hotel is pricey.

Room Tip: My friend had a double room and her bathroom was twice the size of our king room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear guest,

Let me express my appreciation for taking a moment of your precious time to share with us your review trough the Trip Advisor website. Also for your preference to the JW Marriott Cusco as a place to spend your nights in our beautiful city.

I am glad to know you enjoyed our buffet breakfast the same has a wide variety of food so each of our guest could enjoy and start in a good way a long day tour. As you mention our Gold and Platinum Marriott Rewards Members has the breakfast as one of their benefits, anyway we have different rates that include buffet breakfast.

I am deeply sorry about the inconveniences you have experimented , rest assured I will check with the Engineering department in order to avoid this incidents and never happened again to any future guest, thank you very much for extend this comment to us.

Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Beautiful room, modern bathroom with tub and shower. Our room was in basement, so no view. Breakfast was good, usual fruits, cereals, bacon, meat dish and pastries. Free internet in lobby only. Location is very central, can walk to shopping area and main square.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear guest,

Hereby, on behalf of all associates from the JW Marriot Cusco I would like to extend our gratitude for sharing with us your comment trough the Trip Advisor website. And also for choosing our property as place to stay during your vacations in our city.

As you mention we have different types of rooms, one of them are the classic inca rooms, some of them has the inca wall view that reflects our culture that we value and retain. Each of our rooms have been designed thinking in the tranquility and relaxation for our guest.

Thank you very much for mentioning the buffet breakfast, definitely our cheff is committed to feeding our guest in a healthy and delicious way, as you know breakfast must be the most important meal to start a great day in this historic city.

I hope to host you one more time in the future, and if you need some assistance, please contact me directly I would be glad to.

Kind regards,