“Great experience staying in this hotel.”

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
Ranked #10 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights and by far this is the best hotel I have ever stayed. Perfect location. Close to the main square in Cusco and walkable distance to lot of places. The staff was welcoming and very courteous. They tale good care of their guests. Will definitely stay in this place if I ever go back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Appreciate guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your valuable comment through the Trip Advisor website.

Hereby, please I would like to extend my appreciation for choosing the JW Marriott Cusco as a destination for your stay in our city.

It is a real honor that you consider the JW Marriott Cusco as the best hotel you ever stayed in. Thank you very much for that generous comments; definitely this encourages us to continue in pursuit of excellence in the service and the facilities we provide to our guests.

I felt deeply pleased to hear that you were delighted by our well located property that used to be a Convent of the San Augustinian. Moreover that you appreciated the genuine and courteous service of our staff, I feel very proud of each of our associates who are committed to provide an excellent service. They are really exceptional Marriott Ambassadors in Cusco. I have no doubt that with their charming and care they create really good experiences in all guest that decided to stay with us.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again at the JW Marriott Cusco. I would be more than glad to assist you with any requirement you may have in the future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Got the opportunity to stay here for a night. Typical JW Marriott in all senses. Crisp aesthetics, professional service and large hotel. What I liked the most about the hotel was the breakfast spread. Really incredible - a mix of American, European and Peruvian. You really can eat all those cuisines just at breakfast. A fantastic selection of breads - I think over 12 different types of bread. Really was great!

The hydrotherapy part of the spa was excellent i.e. steam, sauna, pool, shower rooms, which are all included in the tariff!!

The silly part was wifi is included in public areas but they make you pay $10.00 more per night to have wifi in your room. In today's day and age who doesn't have in room wifi?? Especially in a luxury hotel. Why not just increase the room rate by $10.00 and include internet.

All in all if you're a big chain property kind of person this is your place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear guest,

Greetings from the JW Marriott Cusco.

I would like to express my gratitude for choosing the JW Marriott for your stay in our city and besides for taking the time to share with us your valuable comment through the Trip Advisor website.

As you mention, the hotel was restored in order not to lose the essence of the St. Augustine’s Convent but at the same time retain the concept and harmony that a JW Marriott needs.

It is certainly pleasant to know you really had a nice stay in our property receiving the service you deserve and also expected. I feel very proud of each of our associates who are committed to provide an excellent service. They are really good Marriott Ambassadors in Cusco.

I feel deeply pleased to hear that you were delighted by our food offering in our buffet breakfast in which we try to share with our guest an unforgettable culinary experience.

We will be looking forward to receiving you once again in the not too distance future, and offer you the special combination of Cusco hospitality and the one that JW Marriott offers.

If we can be of any other assistance within the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. It will be a pleasure to assist you.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I don't understand the negative reviews for this hotel. This was the best hotel, let alone the best Marriott I have ever stayed in. The staff could not have been more genuinely attentive. They seemed to anticipate our every need and thought of so many ways to make our stay special. No hotel staff has ever made me feel more welcome. EVERY member of staff was helpful, sweet, kind, and just plain great. They helped my companion through a bout of altitude sickness...they offered to pack us breakfast to take along one morning when we were leaving very early for Machu Picchu. The rooms were exceptionally clean and very comfortable. Jim, the Concierge at the front desk was like having a best friend taking care of us during the week we stayed in Cusco. Every day we brought him a new question, and every day he smiled and had the perfect answer; whether it was arranging transportation to get to some site, or what to do about altitude sickness the first two days (the hotel has a medic who will actually bring oxygen to your room if you are feeling really ill - you can also have it pumped into the room for a minimal extra cost). The restaurant staff became friends as well, since we ate the wonderful breakfast buffet there nearly every day. It always felt like they were greeting their best friends when we walked in. We fell in love with Manuel and Jorge there due to their friendliness and attention to detail every time we came to eat. Even the hotel's newest employee, Brian, in his first week of employment offered to help me make my tea at the tea station in the lobby when I had a question about how to make the coca tea. Every time we saw him after that, he remembered our names, smiled and said hello. Even when he was obviously very busy, he would ask if we were enjoying our stay. I know I'm gushing about these folks, but in all my travels, this hotel stands out as exceptional for it's people as well as its décor. The place is beautiful and the people are a very special "family" who want only to do whatever they can to assure that their guests enjoy their stay. I found myself actually missing them once I returned home to the US. They will be forever one of the sweetest of my memories of Cusco. Don't hesitate to stay at this Marriott! And don't forget to get to know this wonderful staff. I have traveled often, and needless to say, this place impressed me. If I go back to Cusco, this is the only place I would consider staying.

Room Tip: The room we had was on the third floor and was extremely quiet. There was a big wedding reception i...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PAULA J

Dear guest,

Warmest regards from the magical city of Cusco.

On behalf of the associates from the JW Marriott Cusco, I would like to extend our gratitude for share such a beautiful review of your stay with us and travelers through the Trip Advisor website. I am sure future guests will consider this a really kind comment.

Thank you very much for rating our staff as helpful and attentive, I feel really pleased that we could fulfilled your expectations in service; we are always looking for ways to make our guests’ stay more enjoyable like having the box breakfast to go to Machupicchu, helping you with high altitude sickness; as you mention we have a paramedic in house that is able to assist all guest that need us.

Definitely your beautiful and valuable comment encourages us to continue in pursuit of excellence in the service we provide to our guests as important as you. I feel very happy to know you really felt like home by receiving the greeting every day from our associates that remembered your name.

Thank you very much for mentioning our associates Jim Ramirez, Brian Guevara, our charming Manuel Aguayo and always gentile Jorge Rojo, obviously they love what they do and this makes me feel proud of them. I am going to congratulate them personally for the great job they do every day. Moreover, I know when my associates will read this review thy will feel eager to continue creating unforgettable memories in our guests’ lives.

It is such an honor that a well-known traveler as you said we impressed with the exceptional service and the unique property we have.

Sincerely will be a pleasure receiving you one more time in the future and continue providing the charming and the excellent service you deserve.

Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

I regret having looked at this hotel's reviews too late. My husband and I have been staying in the Cusco area for 10 days and this is now or second stay and 4th room @ the Marriott. This is definitely not Marriott service nor standards. The front desk staff needs people skills and training. I couldn't agree more with the fellow who brought up Jim's (@ the front desk) attitude. He humiliated my husband and I while suggesting that we would walk out without paying for a meal. We had checked out the night before as we.were leaving early for Machu Picchu. We mentioned that we had made 2 meals at their awful restaurant and the person who checked us out said that they were included in the bill. Jim simply does NOT listen (as the previous reviewer, a platinum rewards member stated). Took us 20 min of explanations while a cab waited for us outside so we paid for the meal at the risk of paying twice for an awful meal. Today we got an apology from another staff member about the incident. Not enough!! The hotel has a good location, but thats about it. As another reviewer states, it is loud from street noise or visitors in d courtyard and the rooms are too small for the price. Most of these issues could be ignored if the staff were warm, attentive and supportive. But aside grom Giorgio, they all need training. I've seen some of the responses posted from the manager to negative reviews and believe that the responses are a "cookie cut" response and not an indication that management even cares. Adios for good JW Marriott in Cusco.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Carmen L
Hiromi H, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear guest,

Please accept my appreciation for the feedback share con the Trip Advisor website. I consider our guest’s comments as honest criteria to improve our service.

I feel really sorry that we were not able to exceed your expectations and I would to let you know that we have already taken care of the situation and made an action so this type of incidents never repeats.

Regarding the room comments; one of the main avenues in city is under renovation increasing the traffic in the area. Police officers are deflecting traffic over the Hotel’s street but we hope those works to be over soon.

Please if there is something else that we can assist you in, do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I had hiked with a friend for a week and was exhausted upon our arrival. It was also my 40th birthday so upon arrival, the hotel had arranged for flowers, sparkling wine, cake and various cheeses. I walked into my room and then staff then came by and sang happy birthday.

I was so overwhelmed by the kindness.

Everything about the hotel is great and I wish I had stayed longer.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear guest,

Greetings from the JW Marriott Cusco.

Hereby, I would like to extend you my gratitude for sharing with us your review about your stay in our property through the Trip Advisor Website.

It is a real honor that you chose our property as a place to stay during your vacations and especially for that special moment that was your 40th birthday. I am pleased you really liked the details we prepared for you, definitely are small details that make a great experience.

I am glad to know you felt overwhelmed with the kindness of our associates; our goal is to create memories in our guests’ life.

If you are thinking to come back in the future, please feel free to contact me directly, will be a pleasure assist you

Have a great day,

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We loved this hotel! Whomever designed it did an amazing job. There is an incredible attention to detail. We did the hotel tour of the building and it was extremely interesting as to what they found while reconstructing the convent. It has a very authentic feel to it and fits in perfectly with the surroundings in Cuzco. The location is great - within walking distance to everything we wanted to do.

The staff could not have been better. They were so friendly and efficient. I would compare them to the staff when we have stayed at Ritz Carlton hotels and I typically view Ritz Carltons as having the best service of any hotel chain where we have stayed. My only minor complaint is that I had called in advance and asked the concierge to make dinner reservations for us. I was told it would be done, but when we arrived I realized the reservation had not been made and we weren't able to go to the restaurant because they were completely booked. Not a huge deal, because we were able to go to another awesome restaurant instead. I would recommend in the future that the concierge email the customer if such a request was made to confirm it, as I have experienced at other hotels.

The bathrooms were a little on the small side, but not unexpected for a "city" hotel. The shower pressure was amazing and the toilets were the best we experienced in Peru.

Overall, this is a fantastic property and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity to stay here!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Appreciate guest,

On behalf of the JW Marriott Cusco associates, accept my most sincere gratitude for taking the time to write your valuable comment about your stay in the JW Marriott Cusco trough the Trip Advisor website.

My staff and I feel really proud of the legacy we guard in the property as you mention this is a former San Augustine’s Convent that after a long restoration process became the JW Marriott Cusco, it is a really unique Hotel located in the heart of Cusco. Definitely this is a gem in this city for the invaluable history this retains, the same as you mention we share every day with all guest and visitors in the hotel tour at 18:00 totally free of charge, in which we explain the history of the Convent and show the 2 exhibition areas showcasing the pre-Inca, Inca and Colonial civilization vestiges we have.

Such an honor you compare our service with the Ritz Carlton, definitely both brands have very high standard but our Cusquenian charming is the difference between them. I regret very much the inconvenience you went through, sincerely your valuable comment help us for our improvement, please be sure we are going to apply the recommendation you gave us, thank you very much for extending this.

I hope we can welcome you back at the JW Marriott Cusco so your can keep on discovering the history of this enigmatic city.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I can't say enough about the loveliness of this hotel and it's staff. From the moment you see the entrance it takes your breath away! The amount of effort that has gone into preserving the site this building is built on is just incredible!! The rooms are quite spacious and turned out perfectly. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've slept in and had high quality, high thread count bedding. A beautiful marble clad bathroom with large Jacuzzi tub and a separate shower - with a rainhead. Our room was very quiet - which is a big deal for me. The breakfast buffet is probably the best ever!!! Tons of fresh fruit, made to order eggs cooked by an adorable chef, plenty of breads, cheeses, meats, croissants, muffins, cereals, AND hot dishes. Everyone at the hotel has a smile on their face and is ready to jump to your service. I loved that they readily hand out complimentary water bottles. We stayed here for 5 nights and loved every minute of it. The location is perfect - being just one block away from the main Plaza. Can't wait to return to this beautiful, peaceful oasis in Cusco!!

Room Tip: Our friends had a room on the street - and it's a very busy one!! They said the noise was a bit...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
JWMarriottCusco, Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Appreciated guest,

Greetings from JW Marriott Cusco, for us it is a real pleasure to read the beautiful comment that you kindly share with us through the Trip Advisor website.

Sincerely I appreciate very much that you had taken a moment of your valuable time in order to dedicate this paragraph to describe the unforgettable experience you went through in our property.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and even more than you were able to be delighted by our beautiful architecture of the San Augustine’s Convent that after a long and hard restoration process became the JW Marriott, in which we have an invaluable historical legacy the same we share with all guests and visitors in the hotel tour we offer without charge.

It really flatters me to read you enjoy our delicious breakfast buffet as you mention , the guestroom that we carefully prepare to receive our guest but moreover our professional and accommodating service.

Thank you very much one more for your review and I hope we can host you again in the near future; and share with you the perfect combination between the Peruvian hospitality and the one that JW Marriott offers.

If you would think we should improve in any specific issue of our products or services, please feel free to contact me. In order to find the best way to always reach our guests needs, and the excellence in the service.

Warm regards,