“A perfect retreat for sore feet” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of JW Marriott El Convento Cusco

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco
Ranked #7 of 162 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“A perfect retreat for sore feet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed at the JW Marriott in Cusco as a bookend to a 5 day hike on the Incan Trail to Machu Picchu...4 couples in total including ourselves.

Overall - Upon walking into this hotel, we knew we were in for something special. The lobby looks like it is straight from a history book. We had read about the painstaking process the hotel took to restore an old monastery. To say that they did a great job of the restoration is an understatement. Check in was prompt, we were provided with free water bottles (always a concern when travelling in south america) and offered up some coca tea and apples to aid us in adjusting the the high altitude of Cusco. Check in staff were extremely friendly, upgraded us to a suite and efficiently explained the amenities (free wifi and spa amenities anyone?!) and got us into our room asap so we could settle in and start to explore the city. The lobby/bar area is spacious with plenty of comfortable couches, chairs, tables, fireplace and huge courtyard. Overall the hotel is amazing - definitely 5 stars and one of the more impressive standouts in the JW Marriott line.

Rooms - We stayed in a Suite for on the front end of our trip and had a gorgeous view of the entire cityscape from our windows. The suite had 2 bathrooms - one for the master bedroom and one for the guests off of the extra/separate "living area". The room itself was clean and brought in the design / look / feel of the rest of the hotel. On the end of our trip, when we returned from our hike, we had a regular room, but it was no less comfortable, clean and exactly what we needed upon returning after a long trek through the forest to Machu Picchu. The beds - it has to be said - are the most comfortable beds/sheets I have ever slept in and as a faithful Marriott member, I've slept in the range of them!

Spa Amenities / Services - The spa amenities in general are free to guests -- which includes a small heated pool, a steam room, a sauna and a hot tub. This was ideal for those of us coming off the hike that needed to relax our muscles. In addition, one of my girlfriends and I booked a mani/pedi afterwards to treat ourselves for making the 26 mile hike. Free iced water and plenty of towels are available. The only caveat I will give to the paid spa services is that it's not a huge spa - my girlfriend and I tried to book our mani/pedis at the same time; however, they only have one person on staff to really execute services. So in the end we just did them at separate times and got back together later in the afternoon.

Restaurant / Room-Service / Bar - Breakfast comes for free with the room for up to 3 people and it's not your average powdered eggs and coffee - this included fresh fruits, meats, cheeses, juices, made-to-order eggs/omeletes, bakery items, etc. Allowed us to really gear up for the day. We also ate at the restaurant one night, and it was fab-u-lous. Between the actual meal we ate and the service, we were in love. It has to be said that Miguel P. - the restaurant supervisor - was the man. He seemed to do it all - and in his previous life as a incan trail porter, he gave us some excellent tips for our hike ahead. In addition, he gave us some digestive tea some extra coca leaves to help prepare for the toll the hike would take on our bodies. Further - when we returned and sat in the bar watching the football games - he remembered us and asked how our hike was and sent us off with some extra boxes of tea that we enjoyed so much on the trail.

We also ate and drank at the bar watching the world cup football games and food and drinks were delicious and well made. I even requested an off menu item (mac and cheese that I was craving) and they had no problem whipping it up for me. A must try is their Machu Picchu drink - it's not only pretty, but tasty!

Location - was in Cusco proper and about a 5-10 Sol ride (20 mins) to the airport. Really easy to walk into the main square/shopping/restaurants in Cusco and very close to the restaurants we wanted to eat. No need for a taxi, so long as you don't mind a little walking. In addition, the Pisco "museum" is right across the street. Don't mind if I do try all 500 pisco variations....

Definitely a must stay if you plan to go to Cusco!! Location, staff, the property and amenities made it one of the best JW's I have stayed in!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alexis W
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Cherished guest,

It is a real honor you dedicated us such a beautiful review for your stay at the JW Marriott Cusco through the Trip Advisor website.

Sincerely, I appreciate very much that you took a moment of your valuable time to share all the experiences in our property. I am very glad to know you really enjoyed your stay with us combined with the adventure you had at the Inka Trail, Cusco is a fascinating city with amazing archaeological places to visit, we thank you very much for choosing our city and surroundings to spend your vacations.

As you mention, the hotel was part of the San Augustine’s Convent that after a long and very hard restoration process became the JW Marriott Cusco, the same was built thinking not to lose the essence of the convent and create a harmony between the elegance and JW Marriott comfort. It is a really unique Hotel located in the heart of Cusco, two blocks from the main plaza and the most important places to visit in the city, as you said ,you do not have to spend money in taxis, we are very close to everything.

I am very pleased to know my staff keep on the excellent job and try harder each day to deliver an impeccable service for you, I have no doubts their commitment are really huge, I feel proud of each of them. Besides, I am thrilled that our charming and well trained Food & Beverage supervisor Miguel Palacios provided you helpful tips, definitely each of our associates have good experiences to share with our guests.

It is certainly satisfying to know at the time you arrived you knew your experience will be special. It is our pleasure to create the best memories in the life’s of our special guests like you. We feel flattered when you mention this was the most comfortable Marriott you have ever stayed, this words coming from a well-known traveler as you encourages to pursuit the excellence in service.

Our spa has all the items hikers need, the steam and dry sauna combined with the Jacuzzi and relaxation pool are a gem for anyone who needs to relax and revitalize. On the other hand, thank you very much for trying our restaurant facilities, I felt very happy seeing all our guests supporting their countries in the world cup at our Qespi bar. Besides enjoying our menu, they enjoyed the soccer game.

Thank you very much one more time for this beautiful review that encourages us to continue providing unforgettable experiences. If you would like to come back in other opportunity, please contact me directly. It will be a pleasure to assist you with all your requirements.
Have a good day,

Cordially yours,

JW Marriott Cusco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

An excellent experience in every way possible! It’s a stunning and historic facility with great service, fantastic rooms and great dining.

We even did a tour of the hotel from which we learned about the interesting history of the property from Inca times, to colonialism, to its modern day standing.

Definitely an above 5 star experience. We've been recommending it to all our family and friends!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ShipraV
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear guest,

Warmest regards from the JW Marriott Cusco.
Let me express my gratitude for your preference to our property also for sharing with us your kind comment through the Trip Advisor website.

Regarding our property, all the staff members feel really proud of the legacy and invaluable history we guard on it. With a unique architecture, I consider it is very difficult to find one similar elsewhere in the world. Definitely a great job of remodeling was done without losing the essence and elegance of a JW Marriott. As you mention every night at 18:00 hours, we offer the tour of the hotel in which explain its fascinating history. Sharing with our guest and visitors this legacy certainly encourages us to continue providing unforgettable experiences at the JW Marriott Cusco.

Thank you very much for your recommendation, also if you have some friends or family coming in the future, please contact me in order to assist them with their arrangements.

Gerente General
JW Marriott Cusco.
Pleasanton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stumbled upon the JW Marriott in Cusco while we were walking around. I wish I had known this hotel was there when we made our plans, but we stayed somewhere else. However, we stopped in for a drink in the afternoon, and Nora was so charming we made reservations for dinner that night. Nora let us choose our table and took our reservation for us. That evening, Miguel Palacios was our waiter, and he was amazing in taking care of us. We had a romantic, delicious dinner in a beautiful setting. I highly recommend this restaurant and facility if you are traveling to Cusco.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Appreciated guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your valuable comment through the Trip Advisor website.

Hereby, please I would like to extend my appreciation for choosing our Pirqa Restaurant for having dinner.

I felt deeply pleased to hear that you were delighted by our food offering and more over that you appreciated the genuine and kind service of our staff specially from our charming Nora Paucar and our gentile supervisor Miguel Palacios. I feel very proud of each of our associates who are committed to provide an excellent service. They are really good Marriott Ambassadors in Cusco.

Once again thank you very much for extending us your comment and also I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you at the JW Marriott Cusco as a guest in order to provide with the service you definitely deserve.

If I can be of any other assistance within the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It will be a pleasure to assist you.

Warm regards,

Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

What a beautiful hotel! Walking distance to the center of Cusco! We were there while Winter Solstice was being celebrated and as we walked out of the hotel we were in the middle of all the festivities! Comfortable rooms with the benefit of oxygen being piped in if needed for altitude sickness. Delicious meal served in the restaurant and enjoyed the wide variety of foods on the breakfast buffet! Great staff!

1 Thank Doreen C
Appreciated guest,

Greetings from the JW Marriott Cusco, please accept my gratitude for your preference to our property and also for sharing your comments with us through the Trip Advisor website .

Cusco reflects the combination of two important cultures, the Inca and the Spanish, and this property is a clear example. During the Inca period, this land belonged to the Koricancha Palace and with the arrival of the Spanish to Cusco came the Evangelization process that brought different religious groups; one of them were the Augustines. They started the construction of Saint Augustine Monastery on 1560 and nowadays holds the JW Marriott Cusco. Also, I would like to mention that we have 2 exhibition areas showcasing the pre-Inca, Inca and Colonial civilization vestiges. Also I am happy to know you were able to appreciate our festivities in the city.

I feel really pleased that we could fulfilled your expectations in service; we are always looking for ways to make our guest stay more enjoyable.

As you mention, all the rooms have the oxygen system which helps to avoid altitude sickness. Cusco is over the 3 300 meter above the sea level, for our luck we have this original system that really helps.

Sincerely I would like to have the chance to host you again at the JW Marriott Cusco!

Western Pa.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

This could be by far the nicest Marriott I have visited. The building itself is located tight in the heart of Cusco. It is architecturally beautiful and very accomodating. The staff were very attentive to our needs and assisted us in several ways. We stayed here before and after out trek of the Incan trail. The hotel provided us storage for our luggage during the trek, free of charge. We couldn't have been more pleased with the hotel.

1 Thank hounds75
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your review with us through our Trip Advisor website.
I feel deeply honored that you chose the JW Marriott Cusco for your stay in this historic city.

It is a real honor you rated us like the nicest Marriott you have ever stay, it is such an honor to receive this comment.

I am really glad to know you enjoyed our facilities and its comfort, the same that was made for guest like you who need to relax and recover energies after the Inka trail. Congratulations on doing one of the most amazing adventures around the world! It is very hard but definitely worth it.

My associates have a genuine care of the smallest detail; I am pleased to know they were helpful and able to assist you by storing your belongings.

Once again thank you for your kindness and for choosing our property as your home in the city of Cusco, I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Gerente General
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Every detail of this hotel is beautiful and perfect. When you enter the lobby, you see a gorgeous gold wall behind the registration desk. The decor and artwork evokes the Inka and colonial past. The indoor pool is beautiful, the setting so relaxing, and there is also a jacuzzi, sauna, and multi jet showers. The staff is so helpful and they remember you by name.

Dear guest,

On behalf of the JW Marriott Cusco I would like to extend our most sincere gratitude for the kind comment you dedicated to us through the Trip Advisor web site.

Sincerely this kind of comments encourages us to continue in pursuit of excellence in service, I am very pleased to know my staff provided you the service you expected.

Every detail in this hotel, that used to be the San Augustine’s Convent has been thinked to combined the Cusquenian history with this amazing structure, one of this details are the Swarowski crystals that represents the “Inti”, a quechua word that means sun (god of the Incas). Cusco has an incredible history of which we really feel very proud.

If you have the opportunity to come back in the future, please contact me in order to assist you with every detail.
Have an excellent day

Warm regards,

Lima, Peru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had just 2 nights at this hotel and we wish we could have more time to enjoy a nice bed and big breakfast. the staff was very helpful amd we could not have a better place than Marriott.

we really recommend this nice hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Appreciated guest,

Greetings from the JW Marriott Cusco.
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comment through the Trip Advisor website.
Sincerely, it is very satisfying to know my staff was able to provide the service you deserve; definitely, your kind mention encourages us to continue in pursuit of excellence in the service we provide to our guests as important as you.

It will be a pleasure receiving you one more time at the hotel. Cusco has a lot of beautiful places to visit and you could enjoy our daily hotel tour, relax in our spa, sitting in the fire place, delight in our delicious buffet breakfast and many things to discover.

If you have the opportunity to come back, please contact me in order to assist you with all the requirements you could have.
Have a pleasant day