“Great hotel with one very important caveat”

Ranked #9 of 170 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as a launching point for a trip to Machu Picchu. The hotel is great, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the location is perfect.

I would recommend with one important caveat.... Make sure your room is not located on the front of the building facing the main street. The windows are not sound proofed, and you hear EVERYTHING outside, even people talking in a quiet voice. The car traffic is loud and constant until about 3.30am every night. Ask for an interior facing room if you don't want to be kept awake all night as my family was... A simple solution would be for the hotel to replace the windows with sound proof ones, but I doubt that will happen as they are costly.

Overall we thought the hotel was great, just learn from our problem and NOT stay on the front of the hotel.

Stayed: August 2014
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear travelalot20,

Thank you for your feedback, it really help us a lot to continue improving! We always care about guests concerns and suggestions.

I fell glad knowing that you stay with us before starting the magic trip to Machu Picchu and could enjoy our dedicated and kind service.

I am deeply sorry that and your family had noise issues in your room, for sure we will take action as soon as possible, room by room to minimize noise from outside. Excluding that issue I truly hope you have had a great stay with us.

I look forward to welcome you back in the near future. It will be a pleasure to delight your with a flawless stay.

Best Regards,

There are newer reviews for JW Marriott El Convento Cusco

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Let me begin by saying that we are huge fans of Marriott. We are Platinum Elite and have turned many of our friends and family into fans as well. So it makes me sad to write this review. We stayed here 3 days ago, were given a beautiful room and were treated well by everyone we came in contact with. Bryan showed us to our room and was clearly so proud of the hotel. We checked out the next day but stored our luggage with the hotel because we would be back after visiting Maccu Picchu and the Sacred Valley. At that time we were promised an upgrade when we returned. We returned today and not only did Claudia assure us an upgrade was not available but we were assigned a room that overlooks the entrance to the hotel. Every time guests arrive we are disturbed by the talking, laughing, and luggage being rolled across the stone floor. This is truly a beautiful hotel, and I really wouldn't want to discourage anyone from staying here, but I don't think we have ever been assigned a worse room at Marriott. A bright spot, however, was running into Bryan this evening who remembered our names and asked how we enjoyed Maccu Picchu.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank brendalipp
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Brendalipp,

Please, allow me to express my gratitude for choosing the JW Marriott Hotel for your stay in Cusco. Moreover, for being a loyal Platinum member which is very important for us.

I regret very much all the inconveniences you have gone through with your room and for not being able to give you the upgrade. Indeed, it is not the experience we want our guests, as important as you, leave with. I hope that the solution given to your husband was of your satisfaction. I appreaciate you are taking the time to share your opinion with us. It is certainly essential to improve our service.

On the other hand, I am glad that Bryan was able to give you a genuine welcome and service. I am sure he will be more than happy to read this comment.

I would love to host you in the not too distance future and serve you as you deserve.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Very nice hotel preserving the old colonial style architecture. There's a tour daily at 6pm that talks about how Marriott bought the property in 2006 and renovated it. Joseph in the front desk/concierge area was particularly helpful, he helped me make reservations at restaurants and was also the one that gave the tour of the hotel.
The breakfast here is by far the best among all the peru hotels I have stayed. Great selection and the egg station is awesome. Get poached eggs on a bed of quinoa/spinach! The only thing I wished was for the in room internet to be included.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear winner,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your stay with us, they help us as a tool to know about our strength and weaknesses.

Makes me glad to know that you took the afternoon guided tour so that you could understand better all the works done here and how important are the archeological remains found. I will personally congratulate Joseph for giving you an excellent service and great explanation during the tour.

It is good to know that you loved the breakfast, it is nourishing fresh, delicious, varied made for all guests taste and needs. Regarding the internet even though there is free wireless internet connection at the common areas like lobby, bar, restaurant we will consider your request about free internet in rooms.

I truly hope you can come and visit is in the near future to continue delighting you with all we have to offer you for a relaxing and comfortable stay.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

This fabulous hotel combines the new and old by paying homage to its Quechua, Inkan, and Spanish colonial roots. Highly recommend the archeological tour that explains the discovery of an Inkan street during construction and how the hotel incorporates the historical uses of the site and building.

The staff takes customer service to another level by making you feel as a very welcome guest through smiles and greetings. We were greeted by name each morning during our three night stay and everyone was exceptionally friendly. We had a problem with a noise from a service area near our room and the staff addressed the situation impeccably leaving us completely satisfied with the resolution and our stay.

We have stayed at hotels in various cities on 4 continents and our stay here was one of our favorites. Definitely recommend.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear FoodyFoodFood,

I am thankful for your comments, they truly help us monitoring the quality of our services and help travelers to know about our services.

It is so rewarding to know that you took the tour to our archeological exhibition areas, it was a huge job we made by the hand of the Ministry of Culture to preserve all what was found combining it harmoniously with our modern architecture all the process took us and a half years and it worth!

Our purpose is making you feel as part of the hotel as if you are visiting a friend or relative’s house and I see the staff made a great job taking care you despite the noise problem, they took immediate action and solve it.

Thank you very much for considering us one of your favorite hotels you stayed in, it will be a complete pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Cordially,

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed a night here prior to our Machu Picchu day trip and one night after the trip to help with the logistics of getting to MP. Service was outstanding and my eldest daughter loved the birthday cake surprise they left in her bedroom.
The hotel has a few historical artifacts and offers a tour of its history. The spa was excellent after the stresses of climbing Waynu Picchu.
Thanks for a great experience. Highly recommended.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Mark T,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Knowing your opinion is very important for us and for all travelers.

I am glad you spend two nights with us before and after your wonderful trip to the ancient Machu Picchu letting you experience our unbeatable service and details like the birthday cake for your daughter. It is great to know that you could spend some time in our fantastic spa and knowing a little bit about our archeological areas.

I appreciate you recommend us to all the Tripadvisor readers, I has been a pleasure to have you. We look forward to welcome you and your family back here in Cusco.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel is the BEST. I've traveled a lot and never known a better, more helpful and accommodating staff. They even brought me gatorade when I was sick. I left my phone here when we went to Machu Picchu and the hotel staff found and returned it to me. The rooms are beautiful and cozy. The location is perfect and very close to the main Plaza. I could not recommend this hotel enough, it's really great.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jennifer G,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor, I really appreciate your feedback letting us know about your wonderful experience with us.

I am thrill to know that you consider us the Best! Wow! I am glad that we impressed you with our kind, professional and curated service, that you liked our rooms and locations but most of all our details showing you how important you are for us and that we care about your well-being.

I hope you can come to the magic city of Cusco in another opportunity and of course stay at the best hotel! The JW Marriott El Convento Cusco.

Sincerely Yours ,

Reviewed 8 August 2014

My family and I just returned from a 10 day trip of a lifetime to Peru. Although we stayed at very nice hotels throughout out stay, the JW Marriott Hotel in Cusco was by far our favorite and most beautiful. The staff took customer service to a new and impressive level. From the moment we entered their beautiful lobby we were greeted by an amazing staff that truly made us feel at home. Upon our arrival our daughter inquired where she could purchase a pin of the Peruvian flag (we were in Peru during Independence Day - 7/28) and Alan immediately took one out of his pocket and handed it to her. We were all very touched by his kindness then and throughout our 3 day stay. The hotel is centrally located to town square, excellent restaurants, a grocery store, and the Machu Picchu museum just to mention a few. Each room was tastefully and beautifully appointed and we were even upgraded the first night to a suite. What a unexpected treat that was! Bottled water was always available at the front desk and in each room. Herbal and coca tea were plentiful in the lovely lobby area and definitely helped as we adjusted to the change in altitude. This was another nice touch that added to the enjoyment of this beautiful hotel. We had to leave our luggage at the hotel when we left for Machu Picchu. Each piece was tagged and waiting for us in our room when we returned and we never worried. We can't stop talking about the customer service. From the minute we arrived we were struck by the warm, welcoming staff and immediately felt like we were family not guests. Alan, Nora (who presented us with a gorgeous book about the hotel and touching note), the kind young man who walked me across the street to exchange candy at the grocery store, and each and every amazing staff member will always have a special place in our hearts. They were very instrumental in helping make this a trip of a lifetime. When we left for the airport my family was crying and so was the staff - tears of new-found friendships, joy and thanks, by nonetheless, tears. That speaks volumes as to how we felt about each other and the love and connections we made. If you are planning a trip to Peru and staying in Cusco, book your room at this exceptional hotel with exceptional people and gorgeous rooms. You will be glad you did! Also, make sure you enjoy the breakfast buffet. It is by far the best one we ate at during our entire stay. The food is absolutely delicious (outstanding breads and many vegetarian options as well) and the service unparalled thanks to Nora and her incredible staff. We hope to return to Peru one day and we will be staying at our favorite hotel - the JW Marriott in Cusco.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Cheryl G

Dear Chery G,

I truly appreciate you have shared the details of tour stay with us, for sure they will serve as a guide to many other travelers who are intending to come to Peru and are looking for a great hotel to stay.

I am thrilled to know how unforgettable experience you lived with us! I am so happy to know that our mission was accomplished, giving you an orchestrated service, making you feel like home like part of our family not only a guest, exceeding your expectations and in some way beginning a genuine friendship.

I will personally congratulate all the persons who contributed on making your stay as wonderful as you describe, with crafted details like the pin for Peruvian holidays, presenting you the hotel’s book, your luggage in room when you came back from Machu Picchu, help you crossing the street to exchange candy, their kindness in every opportunity they had, etc. showing a rela connection with you that ended with a sad good bye, but for sure you will come back.

We will feel honored with your prompt return, if there is anything that we can do for you please let us know.

Kind Regards,