“Beautiful and fitting”

Ranked #10 of 172 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Just what the doctor ordered after spending 3 nights in the Amazon. The décor was culturally fitting. I believe this hotel was once a monastery. Rooms were very modern. The only thing keeping me from giving a perfect score is three months later I receive a charge for the room and also someone is in a jewelry store in Spain trying to use my card. I believe the two are linked. this hotel is in downtown Cusco and in walking distance to the Cathedral, square and Starbucks. breakfast was also excellent.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Ayannaluv1,

I really appreciate your kind words It feels like we are the best medicine to relax!
I am glad knowing that you liked our decoration where we have mixed Colonial features with JW Marriott’s elegance, and you are right regarding our past, we are located in the formers Agustins’ Convent from XVI century. About your card, I am sorry for the misunderstanding but I completely trust in our security procedures, but please let mi know if there is any information you need so that you can feel relief about this topic.
I hope to welcome you back soon so that you can not only enjoy our delicious and varied breakfast but also our Restaurant Pirqa menu, Drinks at Qespi bar and a treatment in our spa.

Kind Regards,

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco

Write a ReviewReviews (2,924)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Perhaps the nicest hotel we have ever visited. And I travel 100 nights/year! Best JW I have ever visited, better than Ritz and Four Seasons hotels I have stayed in.

Breakfast is over the top! As is the spa. Staff is incredible, but the building is the star. Make sure you spend an hour getting the 6 pm building tour. As good as a museum, but you are staying here.

The only downside so that our rooms facing the street were very noisy. I imagine the hotel is aware of this and likely working to improve the soundproofing for those rooms.

Would love to return some day.

Room Tip: As there's have said, ask for a courtyard or Inka room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear DinoTheDiver,

I am thrilled with your review, makes me feel in the clouds! I will share your comment with all the staff, because they are achieving their major job: exceed guest expectation creating unforgettable experiences. Being you a continuous traveler who knows about quality your opinion is very important for us.

Thank you so much for appreciating our archeological exhibition areas, we feel proud of having a piece of history with us. Regarding noisy room we will take action as soon as we can, so next time you come you will completely relax, it will be our pleasure to host you.

Cordially,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Really loved my experience at this property. One of the front desk associates named Joseph could not have been any more kind in assisting me with our Machu Picchu tickets, as well as, most anything that I asked for. He was utterly amazing. So kind. This hotel is the best hotel in all of Cusco in my opinion. The service is spot on. The downstairs lobby bar is large but super cozy with a nice fireplace in the center. Was able to watch the golf championship game in English down there. Food was great. Spa is free to all guest and is very nice. Just love this place. A+++++

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Karen S,

It is wonderful to know you enjoyed every bit of your stay with us. It is our pleasure to make you feel welcome and right at home and we are glad your enjoyed our spa as well as the common areas.

Our service as usual shines! I will extend Joseph your appreciation words for his kind services and helpfulness assisting you with your Machu Picchu tickets.

Thank you very much for considering us the best hotel in Cusco! Anytime you would like to come back we will be waiting for you with open arms.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This hotel is visually quite impressive with its entrance, lobby and patio. Service has been top-notch from the moment we stepped out of our taxi even before staff knew my husband is a platinum elite member. This hotel doesn't have an executive lounge but I think they make up for that with individualized attention. We received one of the rooms with a terrace and it was very quiet during sleeping hours. The hotel is modern yet it still has that South American charm. Close to tons of shopping and restaurants. I cannot say enough good things about our experience with the hotel from front desk to the restaurant manager who have us tips on the different teas to drink to help with altitude and digestion! After checking in we were so pleased with the establishment that we have decided to extend our stay by a day.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Spinto74,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience during your stay with us! Your comments are very important for us to rate the quality of service we are providing.

Thank you for highlighting our superb service, we are always thriving to give the best experience we can, not only with details but also caring in all our guests needs. I am glad you could enjoy the different herbs we have it is impressive how good they are solving some health problems in a natural way.

Makes me so happy to know that our beautiful common areas, rooms, location and of course crafted service made you decide to extend your stay!

It will be a truly pleasure to welcome you and your husband once again in the future, so that you can continue enjoying all that we have to offer as well as this beautiful city.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The hotel is 2 blocks away of dowtown Cuzco main plaza. You will find everything 500 meters from the hotel, walking distance and without ups and downs. The hotel used to be a Monastery, however renovation has made it very confortable.

Room Tip: For couples ask for the rooms with a nice terrace and balcony
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear ojasaui,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a few lines about your great perception of the hotel.

I am glad that our central location resulted convenient to you, it is one of our advantages to be located so close to Cusco Plaza de Armas and many other places of historical interest. In addition, being located on the formers Agustines’ Convent give us an especial charm combined with JW Marriott’s elegance and good taste.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future to exceed your expectations and that you can completely enjoy all that JW Marriott El Convento Cusco has to offer you.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here as a launching point for a trip to Machu Picchu. The hotel is great, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the location is perfect.

I would recommend with one important caveat.... Make sure your room is not located on the front of the building facing the main street. The windows are not sound proofed, and you hear EVERYTHING outside, even people talking in a quiet voice. The car traffic is loud and constant until about 3.30am every night. Ask for an interior facing room if you don't want to be kept awake all night as my family was... A simple solution would be for the hotel to replace the windows with sound proof ones, but I doubt that will happen as they are costly.

Overall we thought the hotel was great, just learn from our problem and NOT stay on the front of the hotel.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear travelalot20,

Thank you for your feedback, it really help us a lot to continue improving! We always care about guests concerns and suggestions.

I fell glad knowing that you stay with us before starting the magic trip to Machu Picchu and could enjoy our dedicated and kind service.

I am deeply sorry that and your family had noise issues in your room, for sure we will take action as soon as possible, room by room to minimize noise from outside. Excluding that issue I truly hope you have had a great stay with us.

I look forward to welcome you back in the near future. It will be a pleasure to delight your with a flawless stay.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Let me begin by saying that we are huge fans of Marriott. We are Platinum Elite and have turned many of our friends and family into fans as well. So it makes me sad to write this review. We stayed here 3 days ago, were given a beautiful room and were treated well by everyone we came in contact with. Bryan showed us to our room and was clearly so proud of the hotel. We checked out the next day but stored our luggage with the hotel because we would be back after visiting Maccu Picchu and the Sacred Valley. At that time we were promised an upgrade when we returned. We returned today and not only did Claudia assure us an upgrade was not available but we were assigned a room that overlooks the entrance to the hotel. Every time guests arrive we are disturbed by the talking, laughing, and luggage being rolled across the stone floor. This is truly a beautiful hotel, and I really wouldn't want to discourage anyone from staying here, but I don't think we have ever been assigned a worse room at Marriott. A bright spot, however, was running into Bryan this evening who remembered our names and asked how we enjoyed Maccu Picchu.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank brendalipp
JWMarriottCusco, General Manager at JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Brendalipp,

Please, allow me to express my gratitude for choosing the JW Marriott Hotel for your stay in Cusco. Moreover, for being a loyal Platinum member which is very important for us.

I regret very much all the inconveniences you have gone through with your room and for not being able to give you the upgrade. Indeed, it is not the experience we want our guests, as important as you, leave with. I hope that the solution given to your husband was of your satisfaction. I appreaciate you are taking the time to share your opinion with us. It is certainly essential to improve our service.

On the other hand, I am glad that Bryan was able to give you a genuine welcome and service. I am sure he will be more than happy to read this comment.

I would love to host you in the not too distance future and serve you as you deserve.

Kind regards,