“Salkantay Trek”
Review of Wayki Trek

Wayki Trek
Ranked #4 of 541 Outdoor Activities in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: Wayki Trek is a highly recommended by the South American Explorers Club, Footprint Travel Guide, On the Road Travel Guide and Lonely Planet Travel Guide readers, Wayki Trek has been working with travelers on the Inca trail around Cusco since 1998. We are under indigenous management. We offer the Inca trail and alternative treks and tours in Peru.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Did the Salkantay Trek in May. Had a great time with this well organized outfit. The guides and crew were great. The chef/cooks were the superstars and truly were spectacular - must agree, it was some of the best food on the whole Peru trip. You will meet some great people and have a good hike as well. The information session preceding the trek was a little light on actual details.
Some practical tips I would suggest when going with these guys include: don't be too stressed if they are a little late for their pick-up's and meetings, reserving a sleeping bag (if needed) in advance (and not accepting your tour operator assurances that renting one is "usually" not a problem), making sure you have ample small change for the odd bathroom and beverage along the way. Getting change when using a banknote usually only results in a smile.
I would also urge you to ensure that your entry ticket to Machu Picchu actually allows you to hike to the temple of the moon. This hike is limited to 400 people per day and on the Wayki itinerary it states that this additional ticket is included. This IS NOT the case and our guides were unable to explain why this was so. The tickets for the temple of the moon is sold on a first come first service basis, but members of our group whom had booked long before some others, did not receive these additional tickets and people who had booked late did. I appreciate that this has nothing to do with the guides but surely the admin staff at Wayki Trek could ensure that all members in the group would have the same access.

2  Thank AAleR
in 9 reviews
"other companies"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed 14 June 2014

First and foremost this trek was the most difficult thing I've ever done but with the help of the Wayki crew it was enjoyable the whole time. The guide was incredible! Franklin was awesome and very informative. Wayki means brother in Quechua and it certainly felt like a family the whole time. I was always in the back of the group but I never felt left behind. The porters were astonishing. Food was always tasty and plentiful. We opted to do the home stay which was a blast! We got to meet and spend time with some of the kids Wayki Trek helps and they were great. They were so lively! We also spent the night with one of the porters and did activities with the local kids. So much fun. I would recommend Wayki Trek to anyone who wants to do the Machu Picchu trek or any other hike. I hope to return with my daughter one day and have them guide us again.

2  Thank Luis G
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Wayki Treks was AMAZING! We did the 5-day Salkantay trek and it was incredible. They were very organized, the food was excellent (probably some of the best that I had in Peru), and our guide, Reuben, was the best! He offered amazing support and motivation. He also told us about the history of Machu Picchu, facts about Peru, and the Peruvian people and culture. The porters and team were also really nice and helpful! I would definitely recommend Wayki Treks and would travel with them again. Thank you for the trip of the lifetime and bringing 8 strangers together as a family!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Just returned from a great 4-day Incan trail hike with Wayki Trek. Went to Machu Picchu with a group of friends, and two guides (Edgar and Rox) led a group of ten of us down the Incan trail. The guides were knowledgeable and friendly, the food was great, and the whole staff was attentive to each member of the group.

We used Wayki Trek on the advice of a friend who went before us. Wayki takes good care of their porters from everything I saw, and they also make an effort to have the tourists gain a realistic perspective of history of Machu Picchu.

I did not stay at the porter village the night before the hike, but the people who did had a great time. I would definitely recommend this company to others!

1  Thank Paul R
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Wayki tours were absolutely wonderful and I can’t thank them enough for the fantastic experience. My husband and I booked the 15 day Peru tour including the Classic trek and the 3 day Monkey Island tour. Starting in Lima we were met at airport and were looked after extremely well the whole trip, until the last day when we were taken to the airport at Puerto MalDonaldo to return home. I was worried regarding sending money and carrying balance of payment until Cusco but everything went really well. We were collected from our nice centrally located hotels and travelled on comfortable secure coaches with food provided and toilets. We were met at each destination by our next very helpful guide and escorted to next tour as Wayki contracts with other providers except for the trek. Condors at Colca Canyon did not disappoint. The flight over Nazcar was absolutely amazing. We homestayed on Lake Titicaca with a lovely family and had also had the wonderful experience of a night in the Wayki porter’s village prior to the Inca trail. We trekked with a lovely group of people, and guides Edgar T and Bruno couldn’t have been more helpful and informative. Also calling us a big family and so we made friendships and fond memories that will be with us forever. The porter’s encouragement and smiles at the end of a hard days trek was really great. We suffered some altitude sickness but Edgar was always looking out for all of us. I was amazed at the food that was served daily, 3 course lunches and dinners and a birthday cake!! They brought to our tents hot water to wash ourselves to wake up and cups of tea. Amazon was interesting, sighting plenty of wildlife lots of birds, caiman, tarantula, a snake and many monkeys. Highly recommend this company.

3  Thank Debbie C