“Awesome Daytrip to Machu Picchu”
Review of Wayki Trek

Wayki Trek
Ranked #5 of 574 Outdoor Activities in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: Wayki Trek is a highly recommended by the South American Explorers Club, Footprint Travel Guide, On the Road Travel Guide and Lonely Planet Travel Guide readers, Wayki Trek has been working with travelers on the Inca trail around Cusco since 1998. We are under indigenous management. We offer the Inca trail and alternative treks and tours in Peru.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My wife and I did a quick daytrip to Machu Picchu with Wayki tours. Everything ran like clockwork and included roundtrip hotel pick, transport to the train station, train tickets to Aguas Calientes, bus to Machu Picchu, entrance to the ruins, and a guide. Excellent service the whole way, and the team made sure we were taken care of. They even came to our hotel lobby the night before to verify details and confirm everything. A little expensive, but after realizing how much everything costs on its own, we understood why the price was so steep. With limitations on how many tourists can go to the site each day, its a small price to pay for peace of mind. For those who don't have the time to take the multi-day hike to Machu Picchu, I highly recommend Wayki Tours.

All reviews
in 16 reviews
"warm water to wash"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Did the Salkantay Trek in May. Had a great time with this well organized outfit. The guides and crew were great. The chef/cooks were the superstars and truly were spectacular - must agree, it was some of the best food on the whole Peru trip. You will meet some great people and have a good hike as well. The information session preceding the trek was a little light on actual details.
Some practical tips I would suggest when going with these guys include: don't be too stressed if they are a little late for their pick-up's and meetings, reserving a sleeping bag (if needed) in advance (and not accepting your tour operator assurances that renting one is "usually" not a problem), making sure you have ample small change for the odd bathroom and beverage along the way. Getting change when using a banknote usually only results in a smile.
I would also urge you to ensure that your entry ticket to Machu Picchu actually allows you to hike to the temple of the moon. This hike is limited to 400 people per day and on the Wayki itinerary it states that this additional ticket is included. This IS NOT the case and our guides were unable to explain why this was so. The tickets for the temple of the moon is sold on a first come first service basis, but members of our group whom had booked long before some others, did not receive these additional tickets and people who had booked late did. I appreciate that this has nothing to do with the guides but surely the admin staff at Wayki Trek could ensure that all members in the group would have the same access.

2  Thank AAleR
Reviewed 14 June 2014

First and foremost this trek was the most difficult thing I've ever done but with the help of the Wayki crew it was enjoyable the whole time. The guide was incredible! Franklin was awesome and very informative. Wayki means brother in Quechua and it certainly felt like a family the whole time. I was always in the back of the group but I never felt left behind. The porters were astonishing. Food was always tasty and plentiful. We opted to do the home stay which was a blast! We got to meet and spend time with some of the kids Wayki Trek helps and they were great. They were so lively! We also spent the night with one of the porters and did activities with the local kids. So much fun. I would recommend Wayki Trek to anyone who wants to do the Machu Picchu trek or any other hike. I hope to return with my daughter one day and have them guide us again.

2  Thank Luis G
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Wayki Treks was AMAZING! We did the 5-day Salkantay trek and it was incredible. They were very organized, the food was excellent (probably some of the best that I had in Peru), and our guide, Reuben, was the best! He offered amazing support and motivation. He also told us about the history of Machu Picchu, facts about Peru, and the Peruvian people and culture. The porters and team were also really nice and helpful! I would definitely recommend Wayki Treks and would travel with them again. Thank you for the trip of the lifetime and bringing 8 strangers together as a family!

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Just returned from a great 4-day Incan trail hike with Wayki Trek. Went to Machu Picchu with a group of friends, and two guides (Edgar and Rox) led a group of ten of us down the Incan trail. The guides were knowledgeable and friendly, the food was great, and the whole staff was attentive to each member of the group.

We used Wayki Trek on the advice of a friend who went before us. Wayki takes good care of their porters from everything I saw, and they also make an effort to have the tourists gain a realistic perspective of history of Machu Picchu.

I did not stay at the porter village the night before the hike, but the people who did had a great time. I would definitely recommend this company to others!

1  Thank Paul R