“perfect place to stay in Cusco”

Belmond Palacio Nazarenas
Ranked #1 of 162 Hotels in Cusco
Cusco, Peru
“perfect place to stay in Cusco”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

My husband, son, wife and I came to Cusco to experience the región. This hotel is in the perfect location to enjoy the beautiful and friendly city. Our room was beautiful and very nicely appointed . They had a complimentary mini bar and all the makings for Pisco Sours ' my husbands new favorite drink. Silk and Terry robes for the bathroom with heated floors. We got a fabulous massage as well We can´t say enough good things about the city and the property.
The people of Peru are kind, friendly and extremely helpful!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank gudtym

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Hebrew first
england
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Oh my good Lord. What a fabulous hotel. What fantastic service. I stayed at PN in March 2013. I had a few days there before going to Macchu Picchu and then returned to PN for another day before sadly leaving the hotel and Peru to come home to England.

From the moment I arrived I was treated exceptionally well. Nothing, no matter how small or large was any trouble to the staff. They go out of their way to make sure that your stay is totally enjoyable.

The hotel is utterly beautiful. The rooms and common areas are of the highest standard I have ever encountered. During my stay in S. America (which lasted 25 days,) I stayed in Orient Express hotels. This hotel was in a class of its own. Every hotel I stayed in was excellent but this was superlative.

It is worth every single penny.

I have now run out of superlatives so if you have any questions send me a private message. Only one downside - they were not particularly good at brewing tea but I did give them full instructions and I suspect that they will now be able to make a truly marvellous cup of tea.

There is nothing that was less than a full five star about this hotel.

The location is excellent - it is about 200 yards from the main square. I did not use the spa - if they even have one but ticked the 5 star box and then realised I had no idea about this. The system will now not let me leave no stars at all so if there is a spa, do not please think that I though that the spa was not up to much.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 0n0n
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Palacio Nazarenas, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Dear 0n0n,

Many thanks for sharing your great comment here on Trip Advisor.
We are still speaking about your tea brewing classes, you left your mark here in Palacio Nazarenas, thank you for that!
It was great spending time with you and I hope we have the chance to welcome you back here with us, Tea will be on the house!

With best regards,

Lima, Peru
Reviewed 1 May 2013

The service is the best there can be. The butlers are extremely hands-on and attentive, providing a warm welcome and overall pleasant stay. Moreover, you can either stay at a modern room with a beautiful natural landscape view or at a more antique street-viewed room with original pieces of architecture inside. An overall unforgettable experience. Good job.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank vanevane1995
Dear Vanevane1995,

Great to read your contribution, thank you for sharing.
I am happy you felt warmly welcomed as first impressions are everything. Spot on descriptions of the rooms also.
Best regards and do let me know when you are back in Cusco.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We spent two nights at Palacio Nazarenas - one at the beginning of our Machu Picchu trip and one at the end.

We also went to their sister property, Sanctuary Lodge, at the base of Machu Picchu (see separate review).

We arrived and were greeted with Coca Tea to fight the altitude (@12,000 ft). Our travel agent booked a Suite and it was in the newer section overlooking the pool/mountain. It was beautifully appointed and was one of the most beautiful rooms we've ever stayed in.

They stock a mini fridge and the beverages are free, which is a nice touch. The room is oxygen enhanced which helps with the altitude sickness.

We had a few issues with our room (i.e. A/C was not working) and the manager/staff upgraded us to the Presidential Suite upon our return. They also comp'd our massages in the spa for the inconveniences.

This extra touch of customer service wins us as customers for life. They were apologetic about the issues on the first visit and made up for it on the second. The service is excellent and the breakfast divine!

We love this property and it is gorgeous in every way. It is quiet/private, comfortable and classy. Although it is pricey, it is worth every penny.

Kudos to the management and staff for their attention to detail. This is arguably one of the nicest properties we've ever stayed in and we've been in some gems.

Photos are of both rooms, the Suite on the first visit and the Presidential Suite (only suite overlooking the bell towers/Cusco/also photographed on their website) on our return visit.

Stay at least two nights to experience Cusco and the surrounding attractions.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Presidential Suite is #200
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Palacio Nazarenas, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Dear CathrynG,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Palacio Nazarenas.
I am happy we were able to turn the AC issue around, technical issues may occure but as you mention, it is how we deal with it to do our utmost to turn it around.
Great to hear you enjoyed the room, it is truely unique in Cusco.

With warm regards

Fortaleza, CE
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The hotel was beyond our expectations from the very eficiente servisse from check in to check out, and that of the butler who was avaiable all time. The quarters were excelente and very roomy. They included many things we never expected in the hotel such as drink and ingediants to make the famous Pisco Sour, and many other beverages. During our stay my wife who had arrived in cusco with a vírus was also effected by the altitute. The mordomo of the hotel arrainged na oxigen bottle to stay in our room when needed and other members of the hotel provided services not expected to help my wife get well. We enjoyed the fine dinning and also the room service. In all it was na oustanding experience which we have recommended to others since our trip to Cusco.

Room Tip: I understand that the suítes in the first court Yard after de entrance are larger and very quiet alt...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear JohanZ,

Aldough I regret to hear the affects of the altitude interfered with your wife, it is very satisfying to see that we went beyond to make sure it is delt with in the most efficient way.
When in Cusco next, do let me know.

With warm regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

This converted convent is divided up into various courtyards. The rooms are very spacious, the mini bar is all inclusive, the bathrooms are large and well equipped and have underfloor heating, which is great if u need your washing dried in a hurry!! Oxygen is pumped into the rooms to help with the altitude, which can be quite debilitating ( little know fact - take aspirin to help combat this - works a treat and is a g d send). The General Manager is very much hands on and makes a point of introducing himself . All the staff want to please and fall over themselves in offering assistance.
A great place to stay and should we ever find ourselves in Cusco again, will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear 906susanC,

It was a great pleasure meeting you both and thank you for your contribution on Trip Advisor.
I am happy you had a good time during your stay and the Asperine tip has already helped many of our guests after you left, thank you for sharing this.
Do hope to see you back in Cusco soon.

With my best regards
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Only few negative aspects for this new hotel located in an ancient cloister:
• The rooms are brand new and absolutely fabulous: spacious, well furnished, big closet, big bed, flat screen tv, ipad. There is even the hand shower! (which is rare to find in North and South America). They also add oxygen to feel at a lower altitude. Innovative ipad charger in the safety locker!
• The hotel is amazing, located in an old cloister with small nice gardens
• Position: 5 min walk from Plaza de Armas
• Swimming pool
• Restaurant Senzo is very good and they use only local food
• Very nice and friendly staff
Negative aspects:
• Some waiters speak very bad English (which is strange for such a luxury hotel) and spa personnel do not speak English at all
• The spa was a delusion: as we entered, my boyfriend and I, we were immediately took to the changing room and from there, almost running, to the massage room. We had no time to choose the massage nor to fill any medical form . The therapist informed us (after our questions, because they had only welcomed us not telling anything else, just rushing to the massage room) in spanish that they had chosen a mixed massage and, just dragged by the events and seeing they were not speaking English at all, we said ok. I barely had the time to say that I had an injury at my back due to a fall, but I don’t think the therapist understood that part so I was trying to indicate the point and using gesture to be understood. The massage was not good, I had to say twice to lower the pressure because it was too strong. Plus the therapist made a type of massage I didn’t liked using stone too hot (I don’t not like hot stone massage and I would have preferred if they had explained us before the content of the “mixed massage” they had chosen for us ). The spa has definitely to be improved

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TripNatureLover
Dear TripNatureLover,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us
I regret that your visit to the spa was not up to our standards. It is the first time I receive this kind of comment and rest assured we have done everything to avoid this in the future.
In addition, we have hired an English teacher to work with our teams and avoid any communication issues. He will be on the floor with them to assure they have the best practice opportunities possible for their area.
do let me know next time you are in Cusco so we can try to set your experience straight.

Best regards,