“Beautiful hotel in excellent location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Novotel Cusco
Ranked #29 of 162 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto
“Beautiful hotel in excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights in hotel, before and after Machu Picchu. Hotel is beautiful. The main floor is so nice to relax and drink your coca tea to fight the altitude sickness. Washrooms are very clean and shower is fantastic. Staff is extremely friendly. Breakfast offers plenty of variety. Location is great, 5 min from Plaza de Armas. Also walking distance to San Blas. Wifi service was a bit finicky in the rooms. Everything else was great.

Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Jjsalonga
Susan L, Manager at Novotel Cusco, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear client,

I will share your comments with our team.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Novotel Cusco.

Cordially,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Korean first
Broughty ferry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Housed in a beautiful 16 c building the hotel has a great location in the heart of the city just around the corner from the main square and all of the sights. The hotel surrounds a very attractive indoor courtyard with a glass roof which doubles as a lounge/dining area. The rooms are large and well equipped inc wifi ,int tv ,good showers,etc. we had the breakfast which was good but ate out as there are some superb restaurants within walking distance.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Very generic hotel with a lovely courtyard. Rooms basic and look much like other Novotels around the world. We were met (I hesitate to use the word welcomed) by a glum looking chap to took what must have been a record 32 minutes to check us in. There were two of them on the desk but neither seemed to be interested that guests had arrived. We were the only ones too, it wasn't as if the reception area was busy. When I first went in the younger of the two was checking his text messages and we felt like we were interrupting him. After the debacle that was check-in he told us our room number. I had to ask him how we found our room to which he dismissively told me to go find the concierge!? Bizarre attitude from the staff and I think a little extra training here would be a good investment as this wasn't an isolated case. Breakfast was served from 4:30am until 9:30am - we set our alarms for 9am, had a brief shower and made it down by 9:20am. When they say breakfast is served until 9:30am, they mean it. The staff did not acknowledge us on arrival in teh restaurant and I had to approach them only to be told it's a buffet, find yourself a seat and help yourself. They did not even clear our dishes after our first helping. The staff were too busy trying to finish off. 2 other guests came in after us, yet still before 9:30am and the buffet was all turned off on the dot of 9:30am, before they had a chance to help themselves. It's disappointing to see this level of disregard from the staff in an International branded hotel. I would recommend the Casa Andina around the corner!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cdmartin
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stayed at the Novotel Cusco for 1 night before and 3 nights after a trek on the Santa Teresa Trail in September 2013. Whilst adequate as a trekking base for a short stay, I should have stayed at a different hotel when based in Cusco for a few nights on my return from the trail.

Whilst there is nothing particularly wrong with the hotel, and the public areas are nice, the rooms are rather spartan and did not live up to my expectations of Novotel. There are also no facilities other than a restaurant, bar and shop.

On the plus side location is good, very close to the main square. The included buffet breakfast was fine (and starts very early in order to accommodate those leaving on a trek or travelling to Machu Picchu).

One particular disappointment was check in on my return to the hotel after the trek. There are only two check in desks, in a relatively small room, and the staff seemed to have difficulty coping with the sheer volume of guests attempting to check in at a similar time to me. Whilst this could be forgiven if it was a rare occurrence, upon enquiry I was told that reception was regularly vey busy at this time (around 8pm) due to the timing of tourists returning from treks or Machu Picchu and Sacred Valley trips. If this is a common occurrence then the hotel should be better set up to cope with it.

Wifi was OK but it seemed that I had to reconnect and re-enter my username and password every time, even if I had only been away from the internet for a few minutes.

Overall, adequate for purpose but, if visiting again, I would investigate other similarly priced hotels (unfortunately my first choice was fully booked for this particular trip).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kiwi666Sydney
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed at the Novotel Cusco for 4 nights before and after trekking. It's a great hub. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the buffet breakfast is included and very good. The hotel was very accommodating to store our bags while we were trekking.

Room Tip: If you want quiet - ask for a room on the 1st floor (actually the basement) facing the courtyard. Ve...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,025 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

The location of this hotel was beautiful. there are a sol alpaca stores just around the block (but my advice is not to buy there because they are more expensive and no discount).

The rooms was ok, even I sometimes get a bit lost in their flooring. the rooms can be so cold sometimes, off one of the light in the bathroom with their air regulation fan connected, and close the door and your room will be warm. that air regulator in the bathroom make it cold.

The check in staff was sometimes ignorant and never see your face. they just busy with their computer and talk to you and I find it rude.

the restaurants staffs however are very beautiful. they run back and forth to my rooms just to get my orders right. but on the second night there I ordered a room service at 1am, and my food was like soaked in salt. so we end up did not eat it and too tired to complain.

over all the hotel was nice. the location is good as well. I always think location is very important, and when I say the location is good, means its just within the walking distance to the main square.

will I be back here again? I might if I have no choice again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PapayaMelon
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

A very busy hub of a place.The central courtyard is covered making it an ideal place to eat meals, meet people etc. Many western european/north american tourists coming and going. Rooms a little basic and I guess standard Novotel. Breakfasts not standard at all, everything imaginable including chicken legs, meatballs and beef stir fry on the three mornings were there. Good position just a couple of blocks away from main square.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple