“Hidden Oasis of Calm”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary, Canada
“Hidden Oasis of Calm”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We only stayed here one night on the way home from a visit to Machu Picchu. It we had know how nice the hotel was, we would have allowed a couple more days to relax and explore more of Cusco.

The rooms are nice, modern, and clean. We found the real surprise to be the hotel courtyard. With sunlight and a fountain, it was a relaxing place to recover from the trials of travel. This is also where the very generous buffet breakfast can be enjoyed. The options available for breakfast were a pleasant surprise.

The only drawback of the hotel is the narrow street on which it is located. This means any pickup or drop off blocks traffic on a busy road. But as a plus, the hotel is only a five minute walk to the main plaza.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Coquitlam
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Room was average. One nice touch was the laminate flooring..much cleaner than carpet. Also there were lots of shelves and drawers to store our stuff. The breakfast was delicious, too bad they only served until 9:30. We loved the location of the hotel in the old part of Cusco, with partially original Inca walls. This hotel is within very easy walking distance of bars, restaurants and the main square. The only downside to this hotel is check out is 9:00 am. We weren't being picked up for the airport until 3:00 pm, so it was a long wait, and they would not even let us pay for a late check out.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Our stay here was quite nice. The rooms were cozy with nice and big beds. Shower was very comfortable. The rooms were equipped with air conditioning which was not working. When I called for help, I was told that cooling is disabled due to a cold climate outside. We rather didn't open windows as the noise and smell from cars was way too much under our windows, facing street. Hotel has some technical faults in their reservation system as I've had a prepaid reservation which wasn't reflecting in their systems.. Additionally, I've booked twin room and they had a double bed in their system. And then, my checkout time was 12 (noon) and according to reception staff, I was told the checkout time is 09 am.... When I requested for late checkout, I was told there is a charge for that, and sadly noone considered my Accor silver card. Besides that, we liked that breakfast was starting as early as 04:30 for people leaving early to Machu Picchu. Buffet selection was also rich and very tasty.

Room Tip: ask for a room which is not facing the street
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel to visit Cusco and on our way to and back from Machu Picchu. The hotel has a very nice atmosphere with a Spanish style courtyard. The rooms are relatively simple and not so spacey, but quite ok. Excellent location in the centre of Cusco.

Stayed May 2014
Susan L, Manager at Novotel Cusco, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear client,
Thank you for prefered Novotel Cusco and share your experience as our guest.
We really appreciate your comments.
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Great staff, great location, one of the best staff that I've seen ever! Highly recommend you. The only one negative is the narrow street just to the hotel. It's a bit noisy. Overall 10 of 10. The best hotel in Cusco!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Susan L, Gerente at Novotel Cusco, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear client,
Thank you for choose Novotel for your stay in Cusco.
We appreciate for taking your time and let us know about your experience with us.
I will share your kind comments with all my team.
UK
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This hotel was not chosen by us but was selected by the tour operator as a part of our tour, which included a visit to Machu Picchu, followed by a cruise, out of Lima, with Holland America Line. It turned out to be a very good choice although I can't comment on room prices as it was all part of a package. However, since we are fans of Accor Hotels, no doubt we would have chosen it anyway.

The hotel is, as are many in Cusco, developed from an Spanish colonial “palace”, originally the home of Spanish administrators. It is within easy walking distance of all of the main tourist attractions in the city although, as Cusco is at around 11,000 feet, walking will always take more effort than at sea level. Indeed, a number of our party suffered altitude sickness, so take care.

It is centred on a very attractive square courtyard, with a central fountain and surrounded by a cloister at first floor level, which leads to some of the rooms there. The courtyard is covered by a glass roof, which permits daylight but keeps out bad weather. Here you can eat or simply relax.

Our room (511) was on the top floor and the views from our window, over the roofs of Cusco, were spectacular. The room was large and very comfortable, with a generous bathroom, in which there was a bath with a shower built-in. Everything was spotless and well maintained and toiletries provided. The only issue was the one I find with just about every hotel: insufficient hooks. Otherwise, no complaints.

Although the road outside the entrance to the hotel was always busy, little traffic noise penetrated the hotel and none was apparent in our room. We enjoyed a good night's sleep throughout our stay.

The TV in the room had BBC World News so we were able to keep up with events during our holiday.

We only took breakfast in the hotel so cannot comment on evening meals but the breakfast was provided on a buffet basis and proved perfectly adequate. Throughout the day, coca tea is provided free of charge in the bar and was welcome after a tiring day visiting the local sites. We ate out in the evening and, conveniently, the hotel is very close to some of the top recommended restaurants.

Throughout our stay the staff were consistently friendly and helpful and eager to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. Were we ever to return to Cusco we would have absolutely no issues with staying here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I would like to share an experience from a recent trip to Peru during the Easter period in April 2014 with a great outcome. I was on tour with Trafalgar Tours in South America and we stayed at the Novotel Hotel, Cusco, Peru overnight and checked-out on Good Friday 18/04/14 to depart for Lima, Peru. At the airport in Cusco, I realised that I had left my wallet in the hotel safe which was opened after I had checked out. It was a black wallet and could not have noticed it over a black covering in the safe. It was too late to return to the Novotel in Cusco to retrieve the wallet as we were in the departure lounge and I ended up cancelling my Credit Cards immediately with Australia. Our guide rang the Hotel and housekeeping could not locate the wallet as well. Upon arrival in Lima, Peru our guide advised that the Novotel Cusco had located the wallet. Being Good Friday and a National Holiday it was always going to be a challenge to courier a wallet from Novotel Cusco to Novotel Lima. I have to thank the Manager at Novotel Cusco, Daniel who arranged for my wallet to be delivered to the front desk at Novotel Lima at 11.30pm on the same day, Good Friday. The wallet still had both my Credit Cards intact and cash up to A$600 still safely inside the wallet.
My experience gave me a very different perspective of people in Peru and South America. I was overwhelmed by the charm and helpfulness from the staff at Novotel, Cusco and could not speak more highly of their honesty and trust which also reflects their service, especially the Manger, Daniel.
They certainly made the rest of my journey to Chile that much more memorable and enjoyable. It is certainly a story I will cherish and remember as part of my fabulous visit to South America.
Kind regards,
Michael

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Susan L, Manager at Novotel Cusco, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear client,
Thank you for taking your time to let us know about your experience with Novotel Cusco.
We are glad to know you received your wallet before your next trip out of Peru.
I will share your compliments with all our team and specially with Daniel.