“Could be better”

Novotel Cusco
Ranked #30 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 March 2009

The room is small and with old furniture. The patio inside is wonderfull. It´s located in the heart of Cusco, near the good restaurants! Don´t pay for tours, do it all with CAB, they are VERY CHEAP, incuding for the Valley.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EduardoStruve
Write a ReviewReviews (1,518)

Reviewed 1 March 2009

I stayed at this hotel for one night after arriving on the Andean Explorer train from Puno. I’ve been to Cusco before, so it this was just a night stop between arriving on the train and flying out the next morning.
There are certain things you expect from a chain hotel, but this hotel is a discredit to the Novotel chain.
I arranged a car transfer with the hotel for my arrival at the train station. The driver greeted me at the exit from the station and I expected the car to be in the car park just outside the exit, but this turned out not to be the case. Whilst the other travellers from the train where loading up their luggage just outside the exit with their transfers, I was taken on what seemed like a half mile walk up an incline and into the street and across a busy road. Being a large Northern European that is used to living at sea level and carrying my luggage, this was something I hadn’t expected or even wanted. I didn’t mind paying the $USD10.00, probably 10 times the going rate for a taxi, as I didn’t want the hassle of trying to get from the station, but I didn’t expect to have to do a half mile hike at over 10,000 feet and still have to pay so much.
Arrival at the hotel wasn’t much better, the staff are all incompetent and having booked a prepaid rate, I had to pay upfront when arrived as they hadn’t already processed the payment. Peru is very advanced with their use of technology and they use Chip and Pin with your credit card. After putting my pin number in the machine, I was then asked to sign the slip. The the whole point of Chip and Pin is that you don’t have to do that as your pin is your signature. I had booked a Queen bedded room, only to find that getting to the room it was a room with two single beds. I complained, but it was just such a hassle trying to change it, I gave up. I’m not used to sleeping in a single bed and spent the whole night half asleep in fear of turning over and falling out of bed. The room is basic Novotel, it is supposed to have high speed internet access in the rooms, but I couldn’t find it and there was no Wi-Fi signal in the roomneither. I had to go down to the lobby to find one.
The hotel offers free transfers to and from the airport and I’d filled the form out on my arrival requesting my transfer the next morning. I presented my self at 0615am for the transfer only to have yet another case of them not knowing what they are doing. They didn’t seem to know anything about it and after a carry on; they eventually found the form I filled in the night before. I did manage to get to the airport, but would I ever stay at this hotel again. NEVER, it’s sad because this could be a nice hotel
Cusco is a lovely city and shouldn’t be missed and you’d be better off paying more money and staying at decent hotel like Hotel Monasterio, which is an Orient-Express Hotel or The Libertador Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank NewxGate
Reviewed 23 January 2009

We found our stay in the Novotel Cusco to be very pleasant. We were greeted by the concierge to a nice cup of coca tea on arrival (7am) which was very helpful when trying to acclimatise to the altitude. Our room was immediately available and was in the new wing and we couldn’t really complain given the excellent room rate for what was an overnight stay before heading off to Machu Picchu the next morning. The covered courtyard is beautiful and a nice to seat and relax in the evening. On both occasions when we stayed here there was a demonstration of local arts and crafts in the evening which was a nice touch. The courtyard also has free WiFi access (reasonable speed). Breakfast was good and the free transport to the airport was a nice addition.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Mooks74
Reviewed 23 January 2009

Visited Cuzco in March 2008 for 5 day/4 night.

Loved the Novotel Cuzco. We stayed in a Colonial Suite which was in the reception/atrium area. Our room was tastefully decorated and huge.

On our arrival into Cuzco I was extremely sick – even before I hit the altitude – unfortunately I had gotten sick in Chile earlier. So when we arrived at the Novotel I had to call the Hotel Doctor, who was fantastic and treated me very quickly.

Breakfast – was very good. Had a good selection. Service was friendly. Also catered for people leaving earlier to Machu Picchu.
Lunch – we ordered off the al a carte menu. The selection, service and the food was all very good.
Room Service – again good selection, cheap and delicious.

We used the laundry service at the hotel which was very cheap and efficient.
We found the hotel was in a very convenient location very easy to get to the main square from and very safe at night.
Overall we really liked this hotel and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2008

I've stayed at the Novotel Cuzco Hotel for a weekend during the last days of November 2008. The building has a very beautiful court in colonial style,and it is located at a short distance of the "Plaza de Armas" , but at the reception I was informed that my room was in the " actual" sector. It shouldn' t be a problem for me if that sector of the Hotel, should be really actual or modern.

My disapointing was absolute when I opened the door of my room. It was like a student room in an university residence of the 70's. The furnishing was simple, old and poor, and was not any decoration but an odd Cuzco litography over a wall. Anyway, it was not the room you expect in a 4 star hotel of the Accor enterprise. After my complaint, I was assigned an identical room but with a better view over the cathedral and I decided to spend all the time, when in the Hotel, resting in the colonial court.

In my opinion, Novotel Cuzco, at least in the " modern " sector, has not the comfort you expect in an Accor Hotel, and so it is expensive for the quality of the accommodation they offer.

Reviewed 7 December 2008

A really upscale hotel in Cusco. The "rack rate" for the dates we stayed there were $250 US, however, somehow we booked online before we arrived for $125 US for a queen bed (two people). They provide airport pickup, but be careful, as in your altitude and overnight flight induced haze, they will try to have you book some tours/trips around the country through a tour agent when you first arrive. You can do much of this independently for far less (which is what we did). The women in our group were really glad about the nice bed, nice bathroom, etc...but if you want a true Peruvian experience, it might not be a bad idea to stay at a cheaper place. I think the average cost for hotels in Cusco is like $40-$50 US a night....so paying closer to $150 US was bit much..but a really nice place nonetheless.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 1 December 2008

just recently stayed here very nice when you walk into reception , coca tea available by concierge desk , got a room in new part unfortunatly room was basic novotel . the good thing about this hotel is the location , very convienent for all the hustle and bustle of cusco . breakfast there is quite a variety and id have evening meal in the dining area of main reception , service from waiters was good and didn't have to wait long

• Stayed: November 2008