“4 nights in Cusco”

Los Andes De America Hotel
Ranked #36 of 172 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Los Andes De Ame in Cusco for 4 nights at the end of May. We actually stayed 2 nights, spent the 3 night at Machu Picchu and went back for the 4th night before heading back to Lima. The room was so inexpensive ($60/night) that we decided to just leave our stuff in the room the night we were in MP instead of packing and unpacking. The location is great - just a half block off Plaza Regocijo which is a block from Plaza de Armas. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The room was large, clean and had heated bathroom floor which was really nice. The included breakfast was OK - nothing great, but quick and easy. The road in front is busy during the day and dead at night. Cab to the airport is 10 sols and 7 to the station to pick up the bus to the MP train. Plenty of restaurants within 5 minutes walk. A bit funky and definitely not the Ritz, but really not a bad place at all - we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 May 2013

We loved this place. Nothing was too much trouble and the staff was most helpful in multiple ways. We liked the ambiance, and the location is really great. We were given a free upgrade to a suite and coupled with a substantial breakfast, we were very happy. The room was clean, and everything worked well - it was a pleasure to stay here. Bravo to Anna and Rude!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stayed for four days.Location was very good. Reception girls were friendly raception and helpfull to arrange things. The hotel is situated in very quiet place so you get good sleep. Hotel is very near all the main attractions.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We had the opportunity to stay at this property while visiting Cusco during our trip to Peru in late April 2013. We stayed for 3 nights. One on 20,000 points and two other paid nights since I didn't have enough points for them.

Getting there:

The hotel is a short cab ride away from the Cusco International Airport (about 10-15 min). The cab ride will cost you anywhere from 20 to 40 Peruvian Soles (you can negotiate it), which at the current conversion rate was about $8 to $15. A cab is the easiest and fastest way to get there. More likely than not your cab driver will also take U.S. dollars.

The hotel is right in the heart of Cusco, a couple of blocks away from the Plaza de Armas, the city's most prominent landmark. You can walk the surrounding streets and can get to just about all major points of interest in the historic district on foot. A note of caution when walking. Beware of Cusco drivers when you cross the street. Yes, you will be crossing by the crosswalk, and no, they will not stop for you even when you're on it.

Check-in:

Check-in was pretty easy. Rudecindo, the concierge, just took our luggage to the main atrium sitting area and served us a mate de coca tea to help out with the altitude, while the staff brought us the documents and filled out all the paperwork without having to get up or stay in line. They gave us our room key (only one), which interestingly enough had a chip and our hotel name and room number printed on the key. I pointed this out to the staff as this is a major security violation. If you were to lose your room key on the street or anywhere else on the hotel, anyone who finds it can simply walk into your room. They said it's easier for them to track them that way and know who's in or out for messages, etc, but yet again, this is a big no-no in the hotel industry and it doesn't seem like they will be changing it for the time being.

I have Best Western's top status (Diamond), but the staff either didn't seem to notice or recognize me as a Diamond member, so we weren't offered a room upgrade and since we were spending only one night at first, then leaving for 2 days and coming back for the other 2 nights, I didn't bother to ask.

The room:

Our room was on the first floor. After landing on a place at 12,000 feet of altitude, I thought it would be a good idea not to go even higher. The room was nice and spacious, and the bathroom had a pretty large bathtub, although it didn't drain properly when you showered, but I didn't bother to report it.

Issues with this hotel:

I had two main problems with the room. Since we were on the ground floor and right by the main atrium, a window next to our bed was right on the hallway where many people walk by dragging luggage or simply talking at odd hours of the night, and even though it wasn't a problem the first night, on our second stay there was quite a lot of foot traffic and we got awaken a few times during the night.

The other problem is that the rooms do not have temperature control. There is a radiator with knobs, but they don't work. The temperature is centrally controlled by the hotel. In Cusco it will get cold at night because of the altitude, and the room was just too cold. The hotel can bring you a portable heater at your request, but we asked for one and it was promised by the front desk clerk, but it never showed up.

There aren't many amenities at this hotel, but they do have free Wifi, which was very reliable and fast, and the breakfast is also included. The breakfast in my opinion was the best feature of the hotel, since they have plenty of variety and since most places in Peru use locally grown food and ingredients, it was VERY tasty. Coffee was really lacking, since all they offered was a "coffee essence" that you're supposed to mix with water, but if you're looking for gourmet or simply good quality coffee, Peru isn't the place to find it, since they don't have a strong coffee tradition. The hotel also offered the first 2-litter water bottle free of charge in the room.

The service:

As I previously mentioned, the service was just ok. There was one gentleman, Rudecindo, who is the main concierge. He was outstanding, very friendly and attentive. He even walked a block with us and our bags the next morning to help us catch a tour bus we had reserved for our trip to Sacred Valley. With the exception of him, the other staff, although they were courteous and friendly, they weren't very impressive or over the top. There was the incident with the portable heater that never came, and the 2 wake up calls we requested on two of the nights never happened. We also asked for some toiletries that had run out, and it took about 30 minutes for them to arrive. I think all of these were reasonable requests that were never met or seemed too difficult for the staff to work through.

The veredict:

Overall, I did like the hotel and would stay in it again. We paid a pretty cheap rate of around $90 per night for 2 of the nights, and the third one was on points. You're not going to get Ritz-Carlton service, but the free breakfast and the hotel's great location are both a plus that make up for the not so outstanding service.

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floors. Too much traffic and acoustics on lower floors. Keep your room key s...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank FreeTravelGuys
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We stayed here for about a week and really enjoyed ourselves. The room and en suite are nice and big and very clean. There's free tea all day long and the breakfast was really great. The staff were lovely and friendly and very very helpful. I'd highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We signed up for the 4 Day Inca with SAS travel peru and I wanted to find a hotel that was close to their office and the main square "Plaza De Armas". There were a number of hotels to choose from with a lot of very simlar prices. The thing that sold me for my first trip to South America was that the Best Western is an american chain so I figured at worst I could complain to head office if I had any problems and not have to deal with just a small local place. When we arrived, the taxi knew of the hotel and was able to take us there right away, check in was easy, the bell man took our bags to our room (third floor) and to our surprise it was a Suite! The room was huge with a kind size bed, large tub (slow draining), kettle, Cocoa Tea, bottled water (free) and a TV with lots of channels. I found the bed to be comfortable and nice. It also had 110 and 220 volt plugs. The Breakfast Buffet started at 5am and had lots of stuff, Eggs, toast, bacon (which was a little weird), cheeses, ham, pancakes, fruit and fresh juices. I had also booked this same place for after our 4 Day hike, they held our extra bags and when we came back they put us back in the same suite. We had an internet only rate so it was very affordable. The hotel is located at the San Francisco Square, right beside SAS and a Chocolate factory place (you have to go there) and the main square was a 2 minute walk. we found a ton of really good places to go walking in every direction. I would highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: Room 304 is a Suite, ask for it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terry_Edwards
Reviewed 3 March 2013

This place is much better than I expected for its price. Nice rooms and food. It is just a few blocks from the Plaza de Armas and next to a museum. You have free tea at any time at the lobby. They care a lot about their guests. The cafeteria has excellent food but a bit overpriced. The breakfast is complete and starts at 5:00 am (which is perfect if you are planning to go to Machu Picchu that day). The only thing I didn't like is that I found two spiders in my room, but I think that was an isolated case. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family