“Good location; noise; watch your bill!”

Sonesta Posadas del Inca
Ranked #69 of 173 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 20 February 2013

The hotel's location is excellent -- right off the main square, and main street. You can walk to everything in town, and there are several shops and restaurants nearby. There are some markets a block or two away as well for shopping.

The hotel can be noisy -- Saturday night there was a nightclub nearby that went on until about 5:00 a.m. The other nights it was just traffic noise.

The hotel is an older hotel. The only heat is a space heater they provide, but it worked well. We had a large room that was an awkward shape. It was a step up to the room, and another step up into the bathroom. The amenities were okay, except they only provided a couple packets of tissues (about 4 each). The TV was an older 19-inch CRT TV, and there was no alarm clock.

The staff are friendly and helpful with requests (calling cabs, recommendations, etc.). The breakfast is good -- about 3 hot dishes and several cold options, plus they offered to make eggs on request. Breakfast starts at 5:00 a.m. for those leaving early on day tours.

The hotel had some issues with our reservation. I booked through sonesta.com and a few weeks prior to arrival, they had a package rate that was lower. So I cancelled my reservation and rebooked it at the new, lower rate. When I got to the hotel, they had my older (cancelled, more expensive) reservation. That was an easy fix, but good thing I had my confirmation number.

They did not have my Sonesta Travel Pass number, which seemed unusual since I had booked through sonesta.com.

Beware, at checkout, they convert the quoted USD rate from sonesta.com to Peruvian Soles, but they use a punitive exchange rate, resulting in the rate being about 15% more than it should be. Usually when hotels convert to local currency, they use a fair (or reasonably fair) exchange rate for the room, but a punitive rate for cash advances or money exchange. I was a bit surprised at how much more it was.

I contested it and argued for a bit, and asked that they run it through in USD, and they said they could not. They seem to be familiar with this complaint, as they were quick to point out I could pay in cash (USD), and they had a sign at the hotel posting this rate. They finally relented and used the exchange rate google picked up at the time of departure.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HMC1
Carla Z, QAM Sonesta Posada Del Inca Cusco at Sonesta Posadas del Inca, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2013

Dear Guest.
The employees of the Sonesta Posada Del Inca Cusco, send you a cordial greeting and our thanks for having the time to leave your impressions about our service, your opinions will help us improve. Also I'm sorry you've had some problems in our hotel and with the exchange rate, the matter wanted to note that we will publish in the reception for our guests to take this into account.
Let me tell you thank your comments, now all rooms have modern TVs.
I´will hope you in another time you give us the opportunity to meet their expectations and stay with us again, we will be happy to be at your service.
Sincerely.
Carla Zarate Medina
Coordinadora de Calidad SPIC

Reviewed 3 February 2013

We stayed in the Sonesta hotel in the heart of Cuzco for our 4 day visit. We were warmly welcomed by the tourist agency and they offered us the traditional mate de coca and a welcome drink on the house. Everything done in a very friendly atmosphere that made us feel at home right away! The staff was absolutely friendly, customer orientated and kind. they were very keen in providing a very good service and for staff, I give a 5 to this hotel.

The room was spacious enough, 1 bed, 1 bathroom with shower and a bureau. A big TV ! We also had space to put our clothes and things. We did not have a minibar though (fridge) but we did have drinks and snacks. In the lobby you can have tea, coca mate and coffee for free at any time of the day which is nice.

Our room and bed were comfortable, however there were a few bad aspects :
- noise - what can you do? Cuzco is a noisy town! Specially at night. Prepare to sleep with interruptions. There are a lot of alarms, people partying, others playing music... it is what it is and our room was noisy but we didn't pay much attention to it.

- water - the pressure was not great but I guess this is from the town of Cuzco, which is very high (3350 ms approx). And we had to let it flow for a good 5 minutes to obtain warm water.

- the air temperature was a bit cold in the room during the night but there was a heater which we switched on to keep us warmer. Again, maybe this is due to the height.

The breakfast was very good, friendly, attentive staff - I really liked the breakfast, with good products. the restaurant is correct and there is also an internet hotspot in the first floor and free wifi.

I needed medical attention at some point and the staff was very arranging - they called the doctor and granted me with the service i needed - I thought it was excellent. One piece of advise for tourists going to Cuzco : under no circumstances drink tap water - I had a horrible end of trip because i drank one full glass out of the tap. Of course this is not the hotel's fault at all but my own only, but I thought I would advise travelers! Only bottled water !

I appreciated that there was a security guard 24/7 (also very kind) and we felt very safe overall in the hotel and the town of Cusco. We are definitely coming back !!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guests.

Addressed to the collaborators of Sonesta Posada of the Inca Cusco allow us to send our attentive greeting and our sincere gratefulness for having left so agreeable comment in this page, which motivates us to continuing doing the possible thing to improve every day more, Really we are very satisfied to have covered his expectations and expect in some another opportunity to return to be to his for service. Without another individual we repeat our greeting and gratefulness.

Kind Regards

Carla Zarate Medina
Coordinadora De Calidad SPIC.

Reviewed 22 December 2012

This hotel is right next to the plaza, and is reasonable priced compared to others in a safe convenient location in the city. The staff are very helpful and friendly, and there is always a security guard. The room quality varies a bit, with some rooms being darker and away from the noise of the streets, and others bigger and brighter but perhaps noisier. We stayed in three rooms during our stay - 318 was by far the best, 306 was a bit small and dark, 311 was in between.

The staff were all very friendly, my mum needed oxygen on her first day, and the security guard brought it promptly. One of the waiters in the restaurant gave me advice on where to go without me even asking, and all the staff were very helpful and had advice on hand whenever I needed to ask anything - there's also facilities to print plane tickets off.

The only negative thing is that the breakfast selection is limited, especially for vegetarians, and on two out of the four days we were there, the food was very cold - I think they forgot to light the burners to heat the food. We did eat in the restaurant for dinner one night though, and the food was reasonably priced and of very good quality - they also adapted a meat dish to vegetarian for me.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
CarlaZarate, Quality Assurance Manager SPIC at Sonesta Posadas del Inca, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2013

Dear Ms.

Thank you so much for your opinion about your experience in Sonesta Posadas del Inca Cusco.
It is our purpose our guest leave the hotel with a good impression of our service and our quality standards. Every employee knows that the guest is the reason we work for, and we have to be attentive to any request of our passangers.
Also, thank for your opinion about the breakfast selection, it helps us to improve the variety of meals. We prepare the food with best quality products.

Best regards,

Reviewed 1 December 2012

We stayed two nights at this hotel. The best thing about this hotel is the location. You are a block away from the Plaza, all of the shopping and eating. This is good, but it can also be bad because of all of the night life traffic and noise. The staff is very nice and helpful. The rooms were big and clean but nothing special. There is only one small window with a view of a wall. There is no AC or fan so it gets very hot in the room. The beds are extremely hard, but I think this is usual for anywhere in Peru. We did come straight from Lima to Cusco, so we hadn't acclimated to the elevation by the time we checked in. After walking around the Plaza and up to San Blas, I really felt the elevation effect me. We headed back to the hotel and I asked the front desk for oxygen. They were quick to bring a tank of oxygen to our room. They recommended to use it for only 15 minutes, and they came back exactly 15 minutes later to pick up the tank. One of my biggest complaints is the amount of noise from the lobby in the morning. I was woken up very early the two mornings we were there to a lot of noise coming from the lobby area. This hotel was ok, not worth the price. You're paying for the location, not the hotel. The breakfast wasn't all that good either. We tried it our first morning there, but skipped it the next.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a room on the first floor. Our room was close to the lobby and it was too noisy. All...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for your opinion, it really helps us to improve our service day by day.
We will pay attention to your recommendation about the breakfast service and we want to offer our apologies about the incoveniences in the morning with the noise coming from the lobby. We are working on that.

Sinceraly,

Reviewed 27 October 2012 via mobile

Well located behind the Plaza de armas in Cusco but it is very noisy. Interior rooms have bathroom windows facing an interior shaft 2 meters by 2 meters which amplifies the noise from other rooms. There is no other ventilation in the bathroom. Footsteps in the corridor, door closing, tv and other sounds add to the inconvenience.
The breakfast area is small and the breakfast assortment and quality are poor. First we were assigned a very small room, however we were moved to relatively larger room after we complained that the room did not correspond to our reservation.
Pay for the location but not the comfort.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Minah_2
CarlaZarate, Quality Assurance Manager SPIC at Sonesta Posadas del Inca, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the time filling out your comment about the experience in Sonesta Posadas del Inca Cusco. We want to apologize for the incoveniences during your stay. The noise of the outside is a problem we are working on, and your aprecciation about the breakfast selection helps us to improve our service.

Best regards.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

We just returned last week from Cusco. We stayed at this hotel Sept 2012 pre-trek & post-trek Machu Picchu. We had reserved 2 rooms with 2 queen beds in each & both the times we did not get rooms as per the reservation.
The hotel staff is very friendly but they did not make an effort to get the rooms as per the reservation. The hotel needs a makeover. The rooms DO NOT LOOK AT ALL LIKE IN THE PICTURES!! Rooms are dingy,small & rusty bathroom fixtures. Breakfast is horrible too. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank machupicchusept2012

Dear Guest,

The staff of Sonesta Posadas del Inca Cusco offers you a sincere apologize for the bad experience during the stay with us.
It is our commite to improve our service quality and give our guest a great service. All your aprecciations helps us in this purpose.

Sinceraly,

Reviewed 18 September 2012

We loved our stay at this property. After having experienced another equally pleasant experience in sacred valley, this was our second stay at the sonesta chain of hotels. We were lucky to get the top floor room with a nice view of the cathedral and the plaza. The room was good size and the front desk was super efficient in answering our questions and arranging for the occasional cab ride. The complimentary coca tea did work its magic !! The location was fantastic with easy access to shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Sir,

The Sonesta Posadas del Inca Cusco staff is very glad that your experience with us was remarkable.

We always look for attending all our guest requirements.
Your appreciation motivate us to keep on working hard to offer our guest a high standard service.

Best regards,

Quality Assurance Manager - SPIC

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cusco
Hilton Garden Inn Cusco
#161 of 173 in Cusco
Sonesta Hotel Cusco
Sonesta Hotel Cusco
#15 of 173 in Cusco

Been to Sonesta Posadas del Inca? Share your experiences!