“Beautiful Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 164 Hotels in Cusco
New York
“Beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed 22 June 2011

The hotel's interior and grounds are gorgeous, especially the inner courtyard when it's lit up at night. The rooms are nice, though nothing exceptional. Each room has a balcony that offers decent views of the surrounding hills. We choose a room that had oxygen pumped in to help with the altitude, but I would recommend not bothering with the extra expense. First, I didn't notice much of a difference, if any difference at al. Second, if you're young and in relatively good shape, the altitude won't be that big an issue anyway. The staff were friendly and helpful, breakfast was and wi-fi were included, and the main square, as well as arguably the two best restaurants, Cicciolina and the Map Cafe, are a block away.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
oeperu, General Manager at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this review, 1 July 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Monasterio.

About the Oxygen system, the oxygen is pumped to the hotel rooms through a system similar to the air conditioning, and sometimes it is hard to feel the difference between one and another. We are very pleased to know that you felt good during your stay in Cusco.

Also, we are so glad to know that you received a first class service from our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you in the future.

Best Regards,

Stephan Post

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Atlanta
Reviewed 20 June 2011

The Hotel Monasterio in Cusco deserves its reputation as one of South America's finest hotels. The building itself, a former monastery, is absolutely beautiful and its beauty was matched by the level of service and the comfort of our room. This is an Orient Express property and it shows. Although some have complained that the rooms are small, we were pleasantly surprised to receive an upgrade to a two-level junior suite so we cannot comment on the size of regular rooms. Breakfasts were excellent with a wide variety of offerings including an omelette station. However, the one evening meal we had in the hotel was somewhat disappointing. The portions were large (actually too large for our appetities) but we felt that the quality of the cuisine was just not up to the high standards that were in evidence throughout the rest of the hotel. Nothing tasted bad or was poorly prepared. The dishes we tried were just not that creative and didn't have that "wow" factor that you would expect from a top-end dining establishment. We much preferred the meal we had the previous evening at the MAP Cafe in the Museo de Arte Precolombino (See separate review.) Other than this small disappointment, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Monasterio and can give it our enthusiastic recommendation.

Room Tip: Ask if any upgrades are available.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments with other Tripadvisor visitors. Each comment helps us to improve our products and services.

We thank you for your kind words about our facilities and service. Regarding the evening meal you had, we appreciate your suggestions and will surely work on improving both portions and quality.

We hope to have the privilege of having you as a guest again.

Stephan Post
Reviewed 14 June 2011

My fiancé and I stayed here before and after our trip to the Inca Trial and Machu Picchu. What a great experience! The property is beautiful, the staff is first rate and the hotel is in a nice location near the Main Square in Cusco. We were especially pleased that the hotel kept some of our luggage that we couldn't take with us to Machu Picchu. Our bags were waiting for us in our room when we got back to the Monasterio a few days later. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Great rooms, large bathrooms, luxurious linens, and a nice location for sightseeing. The coca tea on arrival was a nice touch - not sure how much it helped with the altitude, though! There were flowers everywhere, the chapel was beautiful, and the food was good. Prices are very high, but for a once-in-a-lifetime visit (and part of a package tour), it was not bad in terms of value for the money. Unfortunately, we needed to avail ourselves of the hotel doctor's services, but fortunately, he got there promptly and the service was excellent - and we never saw a bill for the "house call" or the day of hospitalization that followed. The hotel staff were also very helpful in terms of helping us gather up the luggage and storing it for us till the hospital visit was over. They made a bad situation much easier to bear.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Walking distance to all main Cusco sites. Beautiful setting - Comfortable rooms with oxygen to help with the altitude. Cons- Very Expensive.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Stay for 4 nights with family of five. Wife and I had a room with a lovely patio outside. Children had a very large room with three twin beds. Really enjoy the afternoon tea at the courtyard daily and the morning breakfast was very nice. The restaurant staff was always very prompt and the hotel service all around was what I expect of a 5 star hotel. A couple of days, the cleaning staff did not take the soles I left for them on the table for cleaning our rooms. I wonder if it is "too much" or "too little"!!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Maryland
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Loved Hotel (May 9-15 May).!  I was supposed to go with my husband to Peru but because of work responsibilities he wasn’t able to go so my mother went with me. We had a lovely room with two twin beds and plenty of room – this was a last minute change to two beds but it was no problem. Our room (on the second floor) looked out to an interior courtyard.  The hotel has two courtyards – the main one and then the one by our room.   The hotel is absolutely beautiful.  The ambiance is really nice and the service is excellent.  Be sure to visit the chapel – amazing!  The hotel is within walking distance to everything.  Be ready to walk though.  Cusco is very hilly and the roads/sidewalks/steps are cobblestone and can be a little hard to walk on.  Just be prepared for exercise – I loved it!

I chose the Gourmet package which included an oxygen room, airport transport, one dinner and daily breakfast.  I don’t know for sure that the oxygen piped into the room made any difference but I didn’t have any altitude issues although my mother did have some issues with breathing.  The Cusco airport is very small and it was no problem getting our luggage and then being picked up by the hotel.  The airport luggage porter took us over to a booth that the hotel has at the airport and then the car to pick us up arrived shortly thereafter.

We had one lunch and one (included) dinner at the hotel.  I had a salad for lunch and it was delicious.  The dinner was good but was not so good that I wanted to eat there again for dinner.  We also ate at Marcelo Batata and Ciccciolina for dinner.  Both are very close and within walking distance from the hotel.  We had good meals at both restaurants but I’d say the nicer place, better food and atmosphere was at Cicciolina.  We made reservations for both although I don’t think you have to have reservations at Marcelo Batata.  We also went to Pacha Papa one day for a snack.  Nice atmosphere but we only had dessert so I can’t say a lot about the food.  It’s a small place.

We decided to schedule tours on our own with a company in town.  I remember reading on this site that it’s a lot cheaper to do it that way.  We used Eco Travel (I “think” that was the name).  It’s near Fusion restaurant right off Plaza de Armas.  We scheduled a 4 hr Cusco City Tour which was really nice and very informative.  This cost approximately $13/person ($9 for the tour and an additional $3 for a ticket to one of the museums).  It included transportation and a guide – we couldn’t believe how cheap it was!  The other tour we went on was a full day in the Sacred Valley – definitely recommended.  This cost approx $13 also but did not include lunch.  We stopped for lunch and that cost $5 – the lunch was just okay but the Sacred Valley was amazing.

We took the Hiram Bingham to Machu Picchu.  It was expensive but I am so glad we went this way.  The train is beautiful and the service was fantastic.  They serve gourmet food and it was good although I didn’t like everything.  The trip includes a tour with guide at Machu Picchu.  If you can do it be sure to climb all the way to the top – it’s worth the effort!  There is also a tea at the Sanctuary Lodge afterward.  I can’t say enough good things about Machu Picchu – a once in a lifetime visit!

We shopped all over the place.  Be sure to “negotiate”.  We kept track of what we paid for each item and then if we happened to see another one somewhere else and wanted to buy it we knew what we should pay.  Things are really cheap.

The weather was perfect.  The first day was a little chilly – around 65F but after that it was 68-69F everyday.  But, when the sun goes down it gets cold.  I was glad to have my wool scarf with me – it came in handy.

I loved everything about Cusco and the Hotel Monasterio!!!

• Stayed May 2011