“Almost wonderful”

Belmond Hotel Monasterio
Ranked #4 of 172 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I have to agree with previous reviews. The hotel is stunningly beautiful and all the public spaces are luxurious. The food was excellent and we were upgraded to a suite so our room was amazing. I cannot comment on the standard rooms and although the price was expensive I felt the suite was worth it. However the staff were very mixed in the service they provided. After coming from Rio Sagrado in the Sacret Valley where the staff were faultless we found the staff at Monasterio to indifferent and on one occassion during check in quite rude.However I should add that it was my husbands birthday while we were there and we came back to our room to find they had provided a birthday cake which was a lovely surprise.
I can only recommend staying in a suite room.

1  Thank petalee
Write a ReviewReviews (2,487)

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Yes, it's pricy, but its a really beautiful hotel with gardens with flowers, beautiful architecture, historic place, rooms are normal, we had a huge bed but it was like 2 small beds together...Decoration in the room is very interesting. They have a nice small breakfast buffet. Service was good. Great location... One of the most beautiful hotel until now in Cusco.. My husband and I travel a lot and we were amazed by this beautiful hotel. It has a charm. But its pricy... so if you can afford it, yes, if not, im sure there are other nice places as well.. We stayed for 2 nights and it was perfect that way.

2  Thank Krystelle005
Reviewed 30 May 2012

The hotel is beautiful to visit but think twice before you splurge.

Sure, you paid $530/night for the very basic room but don't think your money gets you the same as the next guest paying the same price. It really pissed me off when I discovered that we were not only staying in a shoe box size room compared to others in the same category but we didn't even get the same L'Occitane amenities as everyone else! Hotel Monasterio gave us the exact same no-name shampoo and conditioner as the $180/night Lima Radisson. I have photos to prove it. We walked past the maid's cart on the bottom floor and discovered that we had been gypped.

We stayed in #502 which was on a floor with only 3 rooms. I swear the housekeeping staff forgot about us during our 2 day stay. They offer a free shoe shine service if you put your shoes in a basket out in the hall for pick-up between 6pm-8pm. By 8pm, no one had retrieved the shoes so I called the concierge. He said someone would be up but by 8:30pm when we were leaving for dinner, the shoes were still in the hallway. For $500+ a night x 2 nights, I wanted my shoes shined! We told the front desk when we were leaving and the shoes were gone by the time we returned at 10pm. Some ordeal the next morning. The shoes should have been back by 8am but it took several phone calls to get them back by 8:30am. This should not happen at a $500+/night hotel.

Our travel agent dropped off our train and Machu Picchu tickets at the concierge for us to pick up but the concierge put my husband's first and middle name on the envelope, not our last name which is on our reservation. This created a ridiculous amount of confusion because the concierge and front desk kept saying they had nothing for us while our travel agent was swearing that she had dropped them off! Finally they spoke to each other and discovered the error. This should not happen at a $500+/night hotel.

They give you two bottles of water per day but that is no way near enough to drink plus use for brushing your teeth. The hotel does not offer the ability to refill bottles so we were constantly going around the corner to the bodega to buy bottles of water. So not eco-conscious. They offer all you can drink coca tea, so why not water? We had one cup of coca tea before we Googled it and found that we could test positive for cocaine on a drug test which hubby and I are both subjected to on a random basis at work. We asked the front desk if the tea was decocainized but they didn't understand so we're assuming not.

This hotel was the biggest disappointment of our 3-week vacation. If there's a next time, we're going to stay at the soon to open JW Marriott in Cusco. At least their rooms and amenities are consistent.

Room Tip: Ask to see several available rooms or else you could end up in a shoe closet. Also be sure to have L...
12  Thank WISCGirl
Reviewed 30 May 2012

This is probably the best you can find in Cusco: great central location, unforgettable oasis in a historical landmark building, decent staff…We got the presidential suite which was simply amazing, spacious , private with a full bathroom suite…It is true that the restaurant should offer a better menu selection (Peruvian fusion such as the one that Limo,the best restaurant in town has…) and deliver a better standard of service… there should definitively be a Spa in this hotel where you want to relax & pamper before or after your Machu Pichu experience, a better front desk management and the bar could be a real lively room which it is not….We saw a few bus style herds that never brings a good touch to a place but overall a well traveled, well-behaved clientele…The line-up of customer’s luggage at the entrance of the courtyard seems a bit inappropriate, unsafe & unsightly, just an insult to the luxury that this place tries to channel as you come in…(don’t you people have a storage room in one of the hundreds of corners of this monastery !?:)
Our concierge Javier was attentive & professional and we enjoyed this break after our Hiram Bingham expedition but I understand the mixed reviews that this hotel receives: Orient Express management would gain a lot by focusing on improving this operation before launching another hotel next door in Cusco…

2  Thank LeDiscerningTraveler
Reviewed 29 May 2012

The Hotel Monasterio is absolutely beautiful and the service, impeccable. The staff is extremely professional and went out of their way on several occasions to ensure our stay was perfect .... and it was!!
Muchas gracias!!
Joanne & Liliana

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2012

From the décor to the location and the food this hotel deserves all the stars. I had dinner twice at the fabulous restaurant (Illariy) and the food was amazing! Besides, they had a wonderful opera singer that made the dinner experience extra special. The local flavors and ingredients combined with the exclusive touch of chef Federico Ziegler made the two nights I had dinner there some of the best dining experiences I’ve ever had. The hotel location is fantastic. Walking distance from the main square (Plaza de Armas) and the two main shopping and art districts (San Blas and San Pedro). I loved the fact that they kept the original architecture and charm of the colonial monastery and the Inca foundations and added the comfort of a luxury hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

After booking a US$ 400 room for two nights you expect certain level of service. The concierge and reception staff messed up with my airport transportation (for a missing commission??) and I almost missed my flight back home. The general manager did not seem to care and sent somebody else to try to resolve the issue. No waste your money, cross the street and stay at the Inkaterra boutique hotel and have a drink at the lobby at the Monasterio. The art there is what it really worth. You do not need to book a room to enjoy the beauty of the Monasterio. Same with the breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: May 2012