Belmond Hotel Monasterio
US$186
Hotel Torre Dorada(Cusco)
US$68
  • Breakfast included
Tierra Viva Cusco San Blas(Cusco)
US$111
US$370
US$335
  • Pool
2,542 results
All reviewsformer monasteryopera singersopera nightgregorian chantslobby barbeautiful hotelmachu picchupresidential suitethe hiram bingham trainmain restaurantextra oxygenhistoric buildinghigh altitudebreakfast buffetthe main squarecoca teacentral courtyard
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I truly enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Monasterio. Eduardo arranged a lovely tour of the Sacred Valley for just the two of us. We had lunch in a gorgeous hacienda surrounded by lovely gardens. Having our own guide ensured that I had plenty of time to climb to the top of Ollantaytambo. (We toured Machu Picchu the next day with a group, and I couldn't keep up with the others so took a few shortcuts.) At that high altitude, I definitely appreciated the extra time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which will aid us in constant improvement and upkeeping of our level of service.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

This beautiful old monastery converted into a hotel, is immaculate.
Efficient and staff, with a beautiful courtyard (with the only Cedar tree in Cuzco – and what a beauty it is). You get a sense of extreme luxury once inside this monastery.

The rooms are small (keeping in mind that this was not built to be a hotel), but are well laid out, with crisp clean linen and well maintained touches of antique furniture.

I have to comment though, that there is no courtesy service to come and collect you from the airport, which is rather shocking for a hotel of this stature and price! If you ask they will collect you, at a very steep price, if I remember correctly it is between $20 - $25 per person (for a 15min drive), whereas you can take a local taxi at the airport for R$15 (soles) for the car, not priced per person, which amounts to $5 for the ride.
Also – no international adaptors in the rooms? Again, for a hotel of this stature, I do not think this is acceptable.

Breakfast is average, very limited selection at the buffet, not the worst, but I’ve had better at less expensive hotels.

All in all, an enjoyable stay, but I’d go somewhere else if in Cuzco again.

Room Tip: Definately ask for a room in the old part of the Monasterio - there is a new part that has been built on, but does not lookout over the main coutyard, and does not have the old luxury feel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Karin H
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Reviewed 6 January 2014

If you are in Cusco, definitely try staying at this hotel. I stayed there 2 nites and it was fantastic. It's just about a block from the main square and a short walk to the arts district with lots of wonderful shops. This hotel was previously a monastery so the buildings are just gorgeous. The room was a good size with a huge bed in it. The bathroom had a hair dryer and bath robes provided. The towels were huge. There is also a room safe. I sent clothes out for laundering and they were picked up within minutes of my phone call to housekeeping. They were returned wrapped in tissue paper and in a basket that evening. I ate dinner in the restaurant on the Opera Dinner night. That was fabulous! The two opera singers were young people with amazing voices. The food was fantastic and served with such attention from the wait staff. It was a wonderful experience. The room was very quiet. I slept well both nites I was there. I had a view of a courtyard from my third floor window. I had a view of the town from the bathroom window. That was very interesting. Staff were all very friendly and efficient. I would definitely recommend this hotel if staying in Cusco.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel for our final two nights in Peru.

The service at this hotel was outstanding in every area of the hotel.

The hotel has an incredible history and it was wonderful to simply sit under the famous tree in the courtyard to enjoy a drink and soak up its history.

The breakfasts offered an enormous variety of everything you could imagine eating for breakfast.

Our room was a Deluxe with oxygen supplement. Did the oxygen make any difference - who knows!

Being a previous monastery, the rooms are small. Having stayed in very large rooms at Sol y Luna in the Sacred Valley and the Inkaterra in Aguas Callentes, it took a little while to adjust to the small size of the room at Hotel Monasterio.

The hotel is located within a few minutes walk of the main square and many of the good restaurants in Cusco.

The only issue with this hotel, was the fact that many large tour groups stay here, which can be sometimes problematic when they move in groups at breakfast and block entrances to the hotel, bar and reception.

Definitely recommend staying here when you are in Cusco.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Just stayed at the Monasterio Dec 23-26. Fantastic hotel. Setting is an old Spanish Monastery. Gorgeous architecture. Rooms are very clean and spacious and updated Mattresses were so comfortable . Staff are exceptionally friendly, smart and eager to help with any questions you may have. The hotel does have oxygen available that can be pumped into your room for an extra fee of about USD 48 per day. This is extremely useful if you feel some altitude sickness as is the coca tea available 24/7 in the lobby. I am very picky about where we stay and this hotel surpassed my expectations. Location is in central historic Cusco so it's very easy to get to any points of interest. If you want luxury, cleanliness, and a historic ambience this is the place to stay. I will definitely recommend this to my friends and any discerning traveller

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
oeperu, Director de Recepción at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014