“A Luxury Historic Paradise”

Belmond Hotel Monasterio
Ranked #4 of 164 Hotels in Cusco
Fremont, California
“A Luxury Historic Paradise”
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I so enjoyed my two nights staying at this historic and grand hotel. The monasterio has a very long history, and the common rooms are very grand. Make sure that you stop into the attached church located to the left in the main courtyard. It is filled with original paintings and large gilded frames. The included breakfast is marvelous and there are so many choices. My deluxe room had the largest bed I have ever seen and an upstairs sitting room. The only not perfect element was that the bathroom was a little small and lacked counter space. But everything else was perfect. The location is excellent, less than 5 minutes to the main square.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which will aid us in constant improvement and upkeeping of our level of service.

Gustavo de Leon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed for three nights but split the stay as we also took the train to Machu Picchu and ventured overnight to Agua Caliente. This was a great way to acclimatise to the high altitude. The service from all the staff was attentive and highly professional. Dining was sensational in their restaurant and the breakfast equally of calibre. They held our large suitcases whilst we ventured off site to reduce the burden of weight on our overnight absence. On our last full day in Cusco we asked the concierge for advise on what to do and were offered the services of a private driver and half day or full day tour of the Sacred Valley. We chose the half day tour and our guide and driver were very professional well educated and extremely considerate of all our needs. Water bottles provided and alternate routes of travel suggested at a moments notice to maximise the experience of the particular groups dynamics. The location is a once in a life time reason to splurge and go the extra cost if comparing to other hotels in the area. We certainly would recommend this hotel and it's services and hope to be able to share the experience again if blessed by the opportunity to visit Peru once more!

Room Tip: We had two different locations on our visit and two different room types eg king bed and twin rooms...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank WaneringKs

Mexico City
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I could not have asked for more in a hotel. Historic, beautiful facilities with all the modern needs - good television, good bathroom, wonderful bed and most of all five star staff all around. We had dinner in the restaurant one event and also found that to be a memorable evening. We had room 309 and the Internet was perfect. The small windows were charming and we were able to hear the fireworks from the preparations for the San Blas fesival.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe room, some of the standard rooms have no windows and I have heard people hate that. W...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this review, 17 February 2014

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The location and facilities are fabulous. However, the services were lacking. I booked my reservation directly through the hotel three months prior to my stay. I was under the impression that my reservation was paid in full. The front desk agent informed me otherwise when I arrived. That was a shock to me to have to factor in the full price of the room to my vacation expenses. Secondly, after my arrival, I was brought directly into my room which lacked character. The bellman dropped our bags into our room and did not bother to explain the room features what-so-ever. Once we got settled in, we went to the lobby to book our private tour with the concierge. However he/she was not there! So my girlfriend and I were told by the front desk agent to "go look in the plaza" for a tour. We went to look and we had no choice but to go on a all Spanish speaking tour. When we returned to the hotel we asked for a recommendation to eat dinner and were recommended to El Meson de Don Tomas. The food was below average. Also ranked #127 of all restaurants in Cusco out of 366...Completely unacceptable for a five star hotel. I called to the front desk after dinner (8:30PM) to request for a wake up call at 6:00AM. But the next morning, we NEVER received the wake up call. I informed the front desk agent in the morning and she said I was not even on the wake up call list. This hotel had everything BUT exceptional service. It was a huge disappointment. I feel embarrassed to have brought my partner here during our 4 year anniversary for such a despicable experience. As a front desk agent myself, I know service. This hotel was lacking in more ways than one. I will not be staying at another Orient-Express location again because of this experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank asanz008
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for helping us to improve our services with your comments.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

We can guarantee you of our permanent commitment in keeping on with all the efforts and focus in reinforcing our renowned service quality with the firm determination to always correspond to the great treatment that our Trip Advisor reviewers usually rank us.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed here in December 2013 for 5 nights. It was spectacular in every way. Possibly the best all round hotel I've stayed in. The actual building is stunning, sumptuous and beautiful. All the staff we encountered we're excellent, nothing was too much trouble. Even just a drink in the courtyard was the white glove service. Rooms were great, very comfortable beds. The bathroom was compact but functional and my only criticism of the whole hotel is that there was a very shallow bath, couldn't get fully submerged and and I'm only 5'8. If you are going to Cusco and can stay here you would be a fool not to, can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this review, 3 February 2014

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Really great hotel. It doesn't get much better. Rooms are quaint, but really well done for a re-used 16th Century building. Bathrooms a bit dated and compact. Breakfast is outstanding. Location in Cusco is brilliant. Courtyard and bar are superb. Service from the restaurant to the front desk was among the best I've seen... Overall, unbelievable atmosphere with great service and gregorian chants at breakfast.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

New Vernon,NJ
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed here with my friend and her daughter. We had a beautiful room that was quite spacious and had three full size beds along with a sofa. We did not have a view of the manicured gardens which would have been great to see, however, the size of our room was what we needed in order to be comfortable.
The paintings in our room were beautiful and made us realize that were staying in a monastery! The bathroom was well appointed along with great towels and amenities to use. We stayed at the hotel three days and had great buffet breakfasts as well as two wonderful dinners at the hotel.
Listening to the dogs barking in the early hours of the morning was a bit of a nuisance, however, it reminded me of being home listening to my own dogs at day break! The rooster "rooing" away at day break put a smile on my face! Certainly not the hotel's fault.

Room Tip: If two people are in one room, perhaps you can ask for a room with a view. We did not have a view...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends