“Great Hotel and Staff”

Belmond Hotel Monasterio
Ranked #4 of 172 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed there with another couple for four nights in early February and it was great. The hotel is beautiful and in good shape and the staff were excellent - helpful and friendly. Christopher, the concierge, is as good as they get.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which will aid us in constant improvement and upkeeping of our level of service.

Gustavo de Leon

Write a ReviewReviews (2,469)

Reviewed 14 February 2014

The feeling of being in a monastery is preserved while all the comforts of a first class hotel exist in this exquisite property, which was handy to the sights of Cusco. The rooms are beautifully appointed, the staff is extremely attentive, and the ambience is spectacular. As well as the usually expected dining room and bar, there are 2 lovely courtyards and a chapel with beautiful artwork. The staff was extremely attentive and eager to please.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 9 February 2014

I so enjoyed my two nights staying at this historic and grand hotel. The monasterio has a very long history, and the common rooms are very grand. Make sure that you stop into the attached church located to the left in the main courtyard. It is filled with original paintings and large gilded frames. The included breakfast is marvelous and there are so many choices. My deluxe room had the largest bed I have ever seen and an upstairs sitting room. The only not perfect element was that the bathroom was a little small and lacked counter space. But everything else was perfect. The location is excellent, less than 5 minutes to the main square.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed for three nights but split the stay as we also took the train to Machu Picchu and ventured overnight to Agua Caliente. This was a great way to acclimatise to the high altitude. The service from all the staff was attentive and highly professional. Dining was sensational in their restaurant and the breakfast equally of calibre. They held our large suitcases whilst we ventured off site to reduce the burden of weight on our overnight absence. On our last full day in Cusco we asked the concierge for advise on what to do and were offered the services of a private driver and half day or full day tour of the Sacred Valley. We chose the half day tour and our guide and driver were very professional well educated and extremely considerate of all our needs. Water bottles provided and alternate routes of travel suggested at a moments notice to maximise the experience of the particular groups dynamics. The location is a once in a life time reason to splurge and go the extra cost if comparing to other hotels in the area. We certainly would recommend this hotel and it's services and hope to be able to share the experience again if blessed by the opportunity to visit Peru once more!

Room Tip: We had two different locations on our visit and two different room types eg king bed and twin rooms...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank WaneringKs

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I could not have asked for more in a hotel. Historic, beautiful facilities with all the modern needs - good television, good bathroom, wonderful bed and most of all five star staff all around. We had dinner in the restaurant one event and also found that to be a memorable evening. We had room 309 and the Internet was perfect. The small windows were charming and we were able to hear the fireworks from the preparations for the San Blas fesival.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe room, some of the standard rooms have no windows and I have heard people hate that. W...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Reviewed 1 February 2014

The location and facilities are fabulous. However, the services were lacking. I booked my reservation directly through the hotel three months prior to my stay. I was under the impression that my reservation was paid in full. The front desk agent informed me otherwise when I arrived. That was a shock to me to have to factor in the full price of the room to my vacation expenses. Secondly, after my arrival, I was brought directly into my room which lacked character. The bellman dropped our bags into our room and did not bother to explain the room features what-so-ever. Once we got settled in, we went to the lobby to book our private tour with the concierge. However he/she was not there! So my girlfriend and I were told by the front desk agent to "go look in the plaza" for a tour. We went to look and we had no choice but to go on a all Spanish speaking tour. When we returned to the hotel we asked for a recommendation to eat dinner and were recommended to El Meson de Don Tomas. The food was below average. Also ranked #127 of all restaurants in Cusco out of 366...Completely unacceptable for a five star hotel. I called to the front desk after dinner (8:30PM) to request for a wake up call at 6:00AM. But the next morning, we NEVER received the wake up call. I informed the front desk agent in the morning and she said I was not even on the wake up call list. This hotel had everything BUT exceptional service. It was a huge disappointment. I feel embarrassed to have brought my partner here during our 4 year anniversary for such a despicable experience. As a front desk agent myself, I know service. This hotel was lacking in more ways than one. I will not be staying at another Orient-Express location again because of this experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank asanz008
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for helping us to improve our services with your comments.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

We can guarantee you of our permanent commitment in keeping on with all the efforts and focus in reinforcing our renowned service quality with the firm determination to always correspond to the great treatment that our Trip Advisor reviewers usually rank us.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed here in December 2013 for 5 nights. It was spectacular in every way. Possibly the best all round hotel I've stayed in. The actual building is stunning, sumptuous and beautiful. All the staff we encountered we're excellent, nothing was too much trouble. Even just a drink in the courtyard was the white glove service. Rooms were great, very comfortable beds. The bathroom was compact but functional and my only criticism of the whole hotel is that there was a very shallow bath, couldn't get fully submerged and and I'm only 5'8. If you are going to Cusco and can stay here you would be a fool not to, can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
oeperu, Director General at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014