“Worth the $”

Ranked #4 of 169 Hotels in Cusco
Austin, TX
“Worth the $”
Reviewed 8 April 2009

The Hotel Monasterio was our first stop in our Peruvian Orient Express trifecta, (Sanctuary Lodge and Miraflores Park Hotel being the other two) and it was by far the most impressive. The grounds are immaculately maintained and the chapel is a must see. We booked the junior suite which was spacious and at the time not very much more than the regular room. The staff went out of their way to help us in arranging a tour guide and train tickets and suggesting great restaurants to try. In addition, the location puts you right in the heart of some of the main sights in Cusco. If you have the money then I definitely suggest staying here.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hailey, Idaho
Reviewed 29 March 2009

We stayed at the Monasterio for two nights, on March 24th and again on the 26th. The hotel is gorgeous - an old monastery, beautifully modified into a hotel, with pretty inner courtyards and wonderful furniture, antique carpets, and paintings. The service was impeccable, from the bell boys to the front desk staff to the concierge to the young woman manning the internet room. Both nights we had the same rooms on the first floor, 101 and 102, which have oxygen pumped into them. We ate lunch and dinner at the restaurant. The lunch was somewhat drawn out, which was tough as we were tired and wanted to get back to our room and rest, but the food was very good. The waiter, however, was a bit pushy about wanting us to give him an additional tip on top of the 10% that was included. We thought that was pretty cheeky. We had the same waiter for dinner and didn't give him any additional tip since he actually wasn't that attentive. We had to catch the eyes of the bus boys to get him over to our table. However, I would recommend eating at the restaurant for its setting and food. The tables look out over the courtyard and it is really quite nice. Our problems were in trying to get any sleep at this hotel. Our rooms were stifling hot, and we couldn't open the patio doors since there were no screens, probably because there was oxygen being pumped into the rooms. When we tried to put the thermostat to a cool setting and turn it on it blew out hot air. My travel alarm clock, which also gives me the temperature, recorded 79 degrees. We were awake most of the night in an overheated state of discomfort. Our toilets were also not working properly - in both rooms. We would have to dash over to the kids rooms while our toilet was out of use, and then the kids had to use ours when theirs was out of use. It was pretty annoying, but I gather other guests had it even worse - when we checked out the next morning another woman at the desk was practically in tears relating how she was up at 5:00 in the morning trying to stem the toilet overflow with a hanger. When we returned two days later, after spending a wonderful night at the Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel, we were given the same rooms. Our luggage, which they kept for us while we went to Machu Picchu, was already in our rooms and a cup of coca tea was waiting for us. We asked about how to work the air conditioning, and were told that there is no air conditioning and that fans would be provided to cool the room. However, with both fans going the noise was too loud to allow us to sleep, so we only kept one on. The temperature was 75 degrees with the fan on, still way too hot for us. We tossed and turned yet another night. This was in March - their autumn - I can't imagine how uncomfortable it must be in the summer. In fact, out of 15 days at various places in South America, the two nights at the Monasterio were the most uncomfortable that we experienced. So the bottom line is that the Monasterio is definitely worth visiting for a drink and for dinner, but I would recommend staying somewhere with working toilets and air conditioning. I also don't think the oxygen is worth the price. It is supposed to replicate the air at 8,000 feet, but we live at 6,000 feet and felt ill even after a night with the oxygen. When we arrived in Machu Picchu, which is at 8,000 feet, we felt much, much better. So it doesn't seem to do much and probably isn't worth the cost. Had I to do it all over again I would also spend only one night in Cusco and spend two nights at the Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel to enjoy all that they have to offer there.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank rs123013m
lynnmora, Management Representative at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this review, 3 April 2009
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for sharing your experience at the hotel. We are pleased to read you experienced an impeccable service while staying at our hotel. We would also like to explain that the problem with toilets was caused by an obstruction of the pipes, which connect rooms 101, 102, and 103. We, however, repaired this problem and apologize for the inconveniences.
Once again we sincerely thank you for your comments and wish you happy travels on future trips to Peru.

Hotel Monasterio
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 29 March 2009

We stayed here for four nights at the end of our honeymoon. When we arrived, we were offered to wait in the bar with cups of coca mate (much needed, we were not feeling well at that altitude). The check in process was quick. One of the hotel employees showed us to our room and told us about where the hotel restaurants are. When he found out it was our honeymoon, he sent us a bottle of champagne and a hand-written note from the manager, congratulating us.
Also, on our little balcony, a table with fruit, flowers, and a personal welcome note from the manager waited for us.
The room was not large, but comfortable. Our housekeeper was great -- every night he/she added new waters for us and laid out our slippers on little rugs by the bed.
The bathroom -- again, not large -- was comfortable and had L'Occitane toiletries.
Breakfast buffet was good: a nice selection of cereal, fruit, breakfast breads, yogurt (though more varieties of yogurt would have been welcome), omelets/eggs to order, sausages, tamales, jams, juices. The setting -- a large room with high ceilings, softly lit, with chants playing in the background -- was very relaxing. The staff -- polite and pleasant. We also ate dinner at the hotel's restaurant. The food and service were great. I just wish we were given a table in the glassed-in corridor, but my husband hates it when I ask to change tables so I did not...
My massage (Masaje Inka) was excellent (the masseuse was late, but apologized and gave me some extra massage time). The spa is just one room, but the masseuse (Yoni?) is great. She included aromatherapy and hot stones into the massage. Super relaxing!
The hotel also has a PeruRail desk -- convenient for pick up of your Machu Picchu train tickets (reserve in advance!), an H.Stern counter, an Ilaria store, a business center (the woman there, I believe Miriam, was helpful in getting our flights confirmed), a chapel, and a gorgeous main courtyard with a fountain.
We also loved the hotel's bar. We spent one relaxing night there, sitting by the fireplace, enjoying drinks and snacks.
The hotel was a restful haven for us after exploring the surroundings. We very much enjoyed having oxygen pumped into the room -- it made breathing easier, particularly at night.
We asked for late checkout and were accommodated.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 February 2009

Stays at this hotel bookended our Christmas visit to Machu Picchu. It is an outstanding property, steeped in history, located exactly where you want to be in Cusco. There is so much positive about this property, but the highlights include a world class breakfast buffet, a beautiful lobby and public area, helpufl and courteous staff. We stayed in two different rooms and they were both larger ones, suites in fact, almost too big! A short walk to the square, cathedrals, Inca walls, etc.
This is an expensive place, our stays were over 550 USD per night. So value is not what you come here for, and not what we were looking for. It is class, and I would go back in an instant assuming budget continued to not be a real concern.
I have posted a picture of the entrance from a nice little square in front.

• Stayed December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
lynnmora, Management Representative at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this review, 6 March 2009
Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for your comments about our Hotel. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you understand our concept and philosophies.
SIncerely,
So.California
Reviewed 31 January 2009

My husband & I just returned from a two month visit to Peru. We loved the Monasterio Hotel, (we stayed 4 nights)-the historical significance, the ambiance, the impeccable service , delicious food (for breakfast--didn't have other meals there). I can't believe some of the previous reviews regarding poor service. !! The family with teens probably should have stayed at another hotel with amenities they are used to, i.e , tv etc. such as an American style Sheraton or Marriot. Probably more their speed--- Another review stated the rooms were too small. Good grief, don't people have a clue about where they are staying or the history of the hotel. Appalling! Yes, we have stayed all over the world in 5 star hotels including the Mena House--big deal! We always try to stay in unique, historical places and we check either on our own or with our travel agent to confirm a hotel will meet our preferances .We traveled with Abercrombie & Kent on this trip, and they must have confidence in the hotel. since it is the hotel they recommend in Cusco.

• Liked — The tranquility
  • Disliked — No room service, but really not necessary
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank suzdoo
lynnmora, Management Representative at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this review, 9 February 2009
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for your comments about our Hotel. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had the chance to live the Orient Express experience. We appreciate your support and it will surely be transmitted to all our staff in order to keep working hard to exceed our guests' expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

SIncerely,
New York
Reviewed 7 January 2009

The Hotel Monasterio in Cusco is not the 5* hotel they claim. We just stayed there, a family of 4 from the New York area (two boys aged 17 and 19, and parents) for two different stays (before and after Macchu Picu).

The Monasterio is the most expensive hotel in Cusco and they do not provide the service or amenities those high prices imply.

Examples from our experience:
- On both check-in dates they gave us the wrong rooms. On one instance they found a replacement room with twin beds, on the 2nd instance they did not.
- One of the women at the front desk was rude, mocking, and condescending in response to two of our questions (about hair dryers and whether a museum was open). We had just returned on the evening Vistadome train and were exhausted. Also on that night that front desk person also did not remove someone else's luggage from one of the room we were given.
- They never had change for 100 and 50 Sole bills at the front desk (key for tipping and small purchases).
- The woman at the Business Centre was rude to our polite boys, and they charge after the first 30 minutes.
- The toilets in both our rooms broke.
- The lock on one of our room doors broke, when the luggage valet was using it.
- The waste basket next to the toilet in the bathroom, for soiled toilet paper, was an unattractive plastic, and HAD NO TOP. (Even the waste baskets at the airports have tops!)
- The decor in the rooms is not significantly elegant, and the bathrooms look like someone threw marble at them.
- The rugs are old, and on the stairs where you walk up to higher floors the rugs are dangerously sagging and not well- attached to the stairs.

The Monasterio does not deliver, unlike other hotels in historical buildings where we have stayed, like: El Convento in San Juan, the Parador in Granada in Seville, or the Mena House outside Cairo.

We stayed in the Libertador Hotel in Puno which was wonderful. There is a Libertador in Cusco.

My recommendation - stay somewhere else, and drop by the Monasterio for a walk through the first floor and the Chapel. You can have a drink at the attactive bar. But don't spend the extra money to stay there.

• Liked — Location in Cusco and the history of building itself.
  • Disliked — Incredibly poor service by front desk and business centre, poor quality of rooms, bathroom, hallway rugs, and overall maintenance, awful room assignment system and inexcusable follow-up, given it's high high prices and claim to 5*.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank TravelHungry
lynnmora, Management Representative at Belmond Hotel Monasterio, responded to this review, 13 January 2009
Dear guest,
We would first want to thank you for choosing Hotel Monasterio and for submitting your review as it helps us improve our service and facilities. We regret that some of our products and services did not fulfill your expectations. Hotel Monasterio always promotes staff training in order to improve our services and provide 100% guest satisfaction. We will review the staff training to ensure the service quality is on top of everything.
Regarding our business centre, we do not charge for the first 30 minutes of internet, however there is a cost after that time.
We are also working on improving our facilities.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely yours,
Napa Valley
Reviewed 6 January 2009

We just returned from a one night stay at the Monasterio Hotel in Cusco. December 31, 2008. Yes the hotel is lovely. The chapel is gorgeous, the rooms are beautiful, but the service lacks of attention, and it is, at best mediocre. We pulled in front of the hotel on a taxi cab. The doorman was paying attention to a list he was reviewing. No eye contact, no acknowledgment that we had arrived. We had to pull our luggage out of the car and take them inside the hotel ourselves. Once inside the hotel a young man took care of our luggage and proceeded to checked us in. Early in the evening, I went to the hotel business center to print our airplane’s boarding passes for the following day. There are three monitors for guests, one for the employee in charge, and one printer for the four monitors. The young employee in charge of the business center told me to wait until someone could make her printer work. After some time, her printer was working and she proceeded to print some name tags for a large group in house. I requested to use the printer and she told me to wait just one more minute that she was almost finished. I waited, and waited, and waited, until I told her I was not willing to wait any longer. She gave me then an e-mail address to e-mail my boarding passes to the hotel front desk so that I could get them printed at the front desk. I went to the front desk and they were able to print one of the two passes I needed. The front desk employee became frustrated that he was not able to print them, asked me to wait so that he could get change to the person behind me. At that point I requested to talk to the Manager on Duty. Mr. Patricio Zucconi came to see me, directed me to his office. In two minutes he had my boarding passes printed, this was a forty five minutes task…..UNACCEPTABLE!

• Liked — The Hotel Chapel
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SleeplessinNapa
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for informing us about your stay in our hotel. We are deeply sorry that we did not give you that 100% guest satisfaction that normally every guest recieves. With the problem you had at our business centre, unfortunately we experienced technical difficulties with our printer that could not be fixed promptly, thus representing a delay. We apologize for this and thanks to your comment we will make sure this does not occur again. At the time you asked our front desk staff to print your boarding pass, we were having many guests settling the hotel bills for it was required as it was the last day of the year. Owing to these inconveniences, the cost of your transfer from the hotel to the airport was excluded from your hotel bill.

Our goal is to give 100% guest satisfaction, we apologize for the inconveniences and will arrange these not to happen again.