“Hardest thing I have ever done”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Inca Trail

Useful Information: Activities for older children
Budd Lake
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Hardest thing I have ever done”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is a hard trip if you do not normally camp and hike and are not used to the altitude. I did it, and am glad I did, but I wish I had a little more warning about the difficulty. If you want to get in shape for this trip, try using the stairmaster at the gym for a couple of hours a day.

3 Thank Marian T

• Korean first
New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great journey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

I went with Alpaca Expeditions and it was an amazing experience. Challenging but absolutely wonderful. The walking poles were very helpful as you always walk up and down stairs. Everybody can do the trail, some just walk slower then others. The Inca sights that you see on your way, the mountains, the flora are so amazing that it is worth all efforts. Book the trail well in advance as the number of permits is limited.

2 Thank rmtgs
West Bend, Wisconsin
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“excellent experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

You can't hike the Inca Trail without a guide and permit, so book with Explorandes for the highest quality Inca Trail trekking experience.

1 Thank Delisa W
Salt Lake City, Utah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Inca Trail”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Amazing! Definitely a challenge, but well worth it! I hiked with the Inca Trail Reservations group, and they were fantastic. Excellent food even on the trail, and the gear was in great shape. Pack light because the second day will be a huge challenge!

2 Thank Kenzie M
London, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A trip of a lifetime with Enigma”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I’m not the youngest ( 48 years old) or the fittest. I have an office based job and don’t really like exercise. I did do some training (Stepmaster and long dog walks) but it was tough, but so worth it.
I was incredibly nervous before and I nearly pulled out but I’m so pleased I didn’t. It is the best holiday and the most amazing experience. The thrill of completing was immense.
We were lucky with the group, all lovely people, and the weather. Our guides, head guide Erick, ably assisted by Saul were fantastic. Erick was extremely knowledgeable about the region, giving mini tours at the sites along the trek and was a confident, supportive helpful guide, keeping everybody in good spirits. Saul held my hand, literally, down the tough bits. I couldn’t have done it without these guys.
The first day of the Trek is long (16KM), and we camped half way up the 1st pass. The benefits of this are you have the trail much more to yourselves and the campsites are small, almost private, meaning the facilities are not overused, and they are quiet at night.
Three course meals, hot drinks delivered to the tent every morning along with hot washing water and soap and a towel. Boiled drinking water at each meal break, and daily snacks to take out on the trail. It really was luxury camping. A great chef and a great crew of porters
Spend as much time as you can in the area before to acclimatise, I think this is key. We had 4 days before the trek and it made all the difference. We couldn’t breathe the 1st day in Cusco but it was much better by the time we went on the trail.

Also, remember to stop, look up, enjoy the view, and take a photo. Sometimes I was so focused on getting through it I had to be reminded to enjoy the trek.

2 Thank SurreyLady439