“Large Room for 20$ + Privacy”

Casa Grande Lodging
Ranked #168 of 517 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I spent one night at the Casa Grande the night before my INCA Trail. I did not have a great deal of stuff and was happy with the overall services. The bathroom was clean although and beds were fair. Unfortunately I did not stay long enough to say anything about the breakfast. The front desk was nice enough to hold my duffle bag for 5 days free of charge, so for backpacker/hiker place was nice. The largest downside I had about this was that there was not too many tourists staying at this place. This was surprising considering how close it was to the central Plaza De Armas. Anyways for 20$ it was a great deal.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 February 2013

Usually all the time we looking for a places save with a lot of facilities; here we found an old restored house and just 50 meters to PLAZA DE ARMAS of CUSCO.
The lodging cost is cheap with good breakfast; just my complaint could be very small windows. Highly suggested if you want to stay close by the center where located museums, pubs and all tourist assistant information are.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We stayed 1 night at the Casa Grande in Cusco... It was so close from the Plaza de Armas so very nice to rest there with or big backpack... We were satisfied with the hotel. Very well located with Mate coca to welcome us after a very long journey straight from Europe… We don’t remember very well the room but we slept well as my girl friend had a bit of headache because of the altitude… So I suppose it was quiet enough... They kept a part of our luggage for free as we’ve headed to Pisac, Ollantataybo and Aguas Calientes… If I ever come back in Cusco I’ll probably go back to this place because of the location and the pretty good price…

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank degotb
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My tour operator placed me at this place. All of the employees were very pleasant, and their location was excellent. But, the building itself was from a horror story; squeaky floors, dark/scary rooms, nasty blankets, etc. Even the key to my room didn't work properly. I didn't try breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel 3 nights before marching to the Inka trail. I must say we really didn't like our stay. The rooms are crazy cold, dark, the bed very uncomfortable and simply ugly (old, dirty etc); very noisy, we woke up with other ppl several times; the breakfast is depressive, with 3 day old bread (not a single toaster) and 4 HALF slices of crappy ham! Also we were going to hike the Inka trail and needed to drop our bags (all hotels have this service) however, at this place, they just put the bags at the reception where anyone could steal it. I guess the only good thing about this hotel is the location, around the block from Plaza de Armas. We paid $50 per night, had we paid $25 I would say you get what you pay for, but, $50 in Peru goes a long way and they could at least get fresh bread and put more food.
We also had problems with the water. It was scarce and cold, it was a nightmare to take a shower because we were always freezing and if you have long hair like me... don't want to remember it...
We ended up switching to Awkis Dream hotel, where we paid $45 and it was a much nicer place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2011

It is very difficult sometimes to rate hotels. What basis do you use for a standard? This hotel has an excellent location. Just over 1 block from the Plaza de Armas. The rooms were clean and simple. The bed was hard. The shower used a instant water heater which meant you had a choice of hot water or volume, but could not get both. I gave this hotel a rating of average since it cost roughly $28 (US) per night for 2 of us, including breakfast. I doupt there is another place in this price range in such a good location. We stayed 2 nights. I would have come back to this hotel but my wife felt the beds were too hard, so we went elsewhere when we returned from Aguas Caliente.

This place is certainly worth consideration based on the price and location.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kfhm
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Terrible, really terrible. I stayed there for 1 night ... the rooms were dirty and bad illuminated. When we arrived, the girl of the frontdesk showed us a room that couldn't be closed from the inside ¿? Instead, she offered me a padlock (but the room would still be opened when we were inside ¿?) Then, she offered us another room, but actually she never could open the door (the lock was broken). Finally, she gave us a room, very small, and dirty. When we were sleeping, we heard noises from the couple of the next room (the walls were so thin that you could hear everything!).
The breakfast is served in the yard, and given that Cuzco is a cold city in the early morning, your breakfast will be served frozen too.
Finally, I made a reservation in order to sleep there when I return from Machu Picchu (an amazing place!). It was like 2 am and we were returning from Machu Picchu (the train lines suffered a problem because of the weather) when we arrived to Casa Grande. As soon we got inside to the hotel, the boy of the frontdesk told us that they were overbooked and we couldn't stay there (he offered us to go to another hotel)... we had to accepted his offer because we had no choice.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple