“Nice views...but, I'd take a pass and did the second time to Cuzco”

Casa de Campo Hotel
Ranked #102 of 164 Hotels in Cusco
Toronto, Canada
“Nice views...but, I'd take a pass and did the second time to Cuzco”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We stayed two nights in April in room #32. The review is lengthy but I try to capture those two days b/c they were memorable.

The room: The room itself has wood floors and is multilevel. Probably hasn't been renovated in 10-15 years. Beds on top floor and the living and bathroom on the lower level. No views of Cuzco from the bedroom area was disappointing. You can peek your head out the front door or walk down to a little garden to see the city. The bathroom is old with a shower head that barely controls the fire hose like water pressure. There was hot water so can't complain there. No wifi in the room only at the breakfast place. For some reason they took the tv out of the room after we got there, not sure why but we were so tired that we forgot to ask. Couldn't call down because the phone didn't work. We also wanted the room because it had a fireplace but it was on the lower level so you couldn't enjoy it from the bedroom area and you basically get smoke in the room and on all of your clothes when it is on. So again we paid for the view and fireplace but received neither without effort. I'm sure one room has those items like on the website but it wasn't this one.

Breakfast: Breakfast is pretty basic, some cut tomatoes, avocados, fruit, cereal, yogurt, breads and spreads. Tea, coffee and some juices.

Hiking to & from room: We are in our 30s and relatively athletic so I'd warn anyone who isn't relatively fit to stay here. We came for the view but you really have to work to get to your room. The views are amazing and worthwhile but exhausting to get to. From the street you need to walk up 3-4 flights of steps and in altitude that's no small thing. Then you arrive at reception. The staff is nice and carried the bags from the airport to the room, otherwise I might of had a heart attack. (literally). From reception to the breakfast area there are more flights of steps where they have an endless supply of cocoa tea to help you with the altitude. From the breakfast room to our room is another ten or more flights of steps. It could have been more. Needless to say it is a hike to stay in that room. I believe we had one of the highest rooms.

Hotel setup tour: When you first arrive they will pitch you on possible tours. We didn't have anything planned so we went on a half day tour to various ruins but probably should have taken it easy and acclimatized for the remainder of the day as altitude sickness hit me hard that evening. The tour they put us on did take us to the sites as promised but the group we were in was filled with all Spanish speakers but us. The guide would speak English about 25% of the time but i speak Spanish and realized he was leaving out quite a few details that the Spanish speakers would received.

Overall: So overall a disappointing experience just due to the effort to get to and from the room. Downhill to the main plaza is 10-15 minutes away. Stay down there like we did the next time and take a cab or hike up for the view. Lastly, the hotel picked us up from the airport but would not drop us off at the train station when we headed to machu picchu because they said we would be returning to Cuzco after machu picchu and could use the service then. But I told them we were not returning to the hotel (originally yes but I cancelled) and staying at another hotel. The ride to the train station or other hotel was 10 soles, nothing I was willing to argue over any longer but just left another sour taste from our experience there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fred g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Enjoyed my stay at Casa de Campo with its aerie-like views and understanding staff. Nice breakfast, comfortable beds and peaceful garden setting. Quiet part of Cusco and only minutes walk from good restaurants and Plaza San Blas. The climb to to the top level of rooms is a killer with un-acclimatized lungs!

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2012

$45 dollars a night in Peru is good money. We arrived at the end of the road and walked the last 200 meters to the hotel suffering from altitude sickness, this hostel is at the top of the hill near enough and a hard walk with sickness. They have posh gates and pebbles cemented to the walls, everything was looking good when we got in reception. We done the inca trail to our room which was on the same floor as the breakfast room and the last one, not sure of the number. It has metal stairs to the right of the room that sound every time someone walks up or down with that's horrid metal stair sound, . Underneath is the kitchen and if you like the clank of plates, your going to love this room. To the left of the room is the water heater that makes a water pump sound every time someone in the hostel uses hot water. I had the luxury of what I could only decide at 2 am in the morning was a fashion show going on in the room above me, as all they did was walk up and down, up and down. At 5.30 I was awoking by the staff making breakfast with the coffee grinder going 9 to the dozen. Worst nights sleep in Peru. The room was 12 feet by 10 feet and was really crap, the beds didn't reach the walls, the curtains did nothing and so on. Anyway, when I went to complain, the guy on reception seemed to find my dismay funny and just stood with a moronic grin on his face. After seeing the girl and explaining our thoughts, she moved us and dropped $10 off our bill. No one in the hostel seemed happy but they did have hot water and wifi if you were in the the breakfast room, good breakfast, best we had in a hostel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Cusco hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed here on two separate occasions during my stay my debit card got skimmed by someone in Brazil. The hotel staff were so accommodating by giving all the assistance possible to ensure I had the problem resolved, even contacting me one week later via email to check I am ok. During the stay they were so caring to organise logistics. The rooms are very homey and cosy. It was a pleasure. Also it has a beautiful view of the city - which is not highlighted on the site.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 3 March 2012

This isn't a standard box hotel like you're used to in the states! You have to walk up a lot of stairs outside on rock steps to get around... which is very unique! Not the best when it's raining though... the view is fantastic though, the breakfast is great. We got the suite which had a hot tub, fireplace and windows for the view. It was a little cold in there because there is only one small heater, so be prepared for that if you are going during the rainy season!

Room Tip: The suite is worth the extra $10!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MCarson699
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Casa de Campo has a stunning location in a quiet corner of San Blas, and could be a terrific place with just a bit of work. The views of the city, the large gardens and patios, and the comfortable if basic rooms have drawn us back to this hostel several times on this trip.

Unfortunately, the service issues that we have experienced here will leave a stronger impression than the nice surroundings. At this very moment, I write this review while waiting for a hot shower. We have been "waiting" for hot water for nearly two hours now. First we are told to wait 15 minutes (we wait 30) then let the water run for longer, then finally they check the boiler, they find a problem and supposedly correct it, then wait 15 minutes (another 30), then wait another 15 minutes..... Each inquiry requires a walk down to the front desk on our part. There is never a follow-up by the staff, or a suggestion for a solution, or even an apology. Just "15 more minutes". Of the four nights we have spent here this trip, three have involved hot water problems, with this by far the worst. We are paying $40 per night, and in Peru, for that price, one should have hot water on demand 24 hours a day. Also, while breakfasts are included, they are lean with no hot foods and bread that is stale at times.

I hope that this hostel corrects these problems and the lack of attention that seems to cause them, because the location is gorgeous. However, with all of the competition in cusco, I doubt people will continue to pay above average prices for substandard services.

• Stayed January 2012
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Friendly service and wonderful views over Cusco with nice gardens and patios, friendly staff.
Odd noises from the room above ours were a problem--4 a.m. hammering, filing etc. If you're acclimated to altitude and can handle the steps (45 to our room), go as high as possible for quiet and views.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple