“Big difference from one room to another”

Casa de Campo Hotel
Ranked #109 of 172 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 31 July 2010

I stayed here twice. Once we had a lovely big room with a fire place and a bath tub. The other time we had a really cramped small room that had no charm at all. Ask to see the room first!
Great views of the city from the breakfast room but not from the bedrooms. There are a lot of stairs and they are kind of dangerous (steep and uneven) - maybe stay away if you are travelling with young kids or are having mobility problems.
I felt it was just a bit too far from the central plaza. Even though it's only a 10 min walk (up some serious stairs), it didn't feel very safe at night.
Breakfast is ok but nothing special, some days there was ham, some days only jam and fruits.
Staff was friendly and helpful when we were there.

Reviewed 1 April 2010

I loved this place! It was great money value. I feel some of the comments are unfair. I have recommended many times and everyone has loved it!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2009

This place was great. Though we had to catch our breath getting up to the third floor, it was worth it. The rooms were simple, but you don't go to Cusco to stay in your room. The deck gave a great panoramic view of the city, day & night. Within walking distance of the central plaza, the Plaza de Armas, but removed from the tourist crowd. The owner of the hotel arranged a tour of the Sacred Valley for us, and assisted us with our train tickets to Machu Picchu (got us better times). We didn't even pay her until we returned from our side trips. I kept thinking that there is no where else in the world I've traveled where someone would have done that!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2009

I stayed here with my family (brother, mother, uncle, and cousin) for 2 nights in an attempt to mix it up and try a new place when we returned to the city from a trip into Manu. To put it simply: we wished we'd returned to our previous hotel!

The view from this hotel is unparalleled - period. The many, many, many steps are far from ADA-approved, but are charming in their own way (though when we arrived at 8 PM after a long day of travel, they were enough to nearly bring several of us to tears). The location is indeed at the far-flung corner of tourist Cuzco, but it's not a long walk to the main square and plenty of dinner options.

The rooms were so-so at best -- cramped, shabby around the edges, and decidedly strange. Definitely check out the room before accepting the keys: we swapped rooms for our second night and were happier with our second option. We did, however, call them "hobbit rooms." Seriously bizarre architecture. Additionally, my uncle and brother spent the night in a room right above reception, which was seriously noisy in the early a.m. with people departing for tours and flights.

My biggest headache came on the final morning, as we headed for the airport. Because we'd arrived at the hotel on our own (without requiring the hostal to pick us up any where), I'd secured an agreement via email before we arrived that they would give us a ride to the airport for our departing flight at no cost. I verified this with the desk staff when we checked in, then verified it again the night before our flight. The girl at the desk promised us a vehicle would be ready at 6 AM. Fast-forward to the next morning .... no ride in sight. At 6:05, I asked with the desk. They denied knowing anything about this and flipped idly through a clipboard of papers. Then I asked again. They called a taxi. In the end, they called us a taxi that was too small for 5 adults, then I had to bully them into paying for it (despite me showing them several times the email confirming that our transport to the airport would be provided).

Pain in the bum.

So it's not a horrid place - definitely quirky, and if I'd had time in my trip to sit on a patio drinking wine all evening, I'd have wanted to do it on the terraces here -- but don't expect much help from the staff, and check out your room before you accept it.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Itchy_Feet028
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I would strongly urge anyone travelling to Cusco to avoid this hotel. I had pre booked the hotel for before and after my Inca Trail trip and had a terrible experience on both occassions. The staff were extremely rude and unhelpful, the rooms were shoddy, very cold and smelled of damp. My friend´s rooms had a leak in the roof and a work man came to look at it but never returned! The hotel is situated far from the centre of town and you must scale seemingly endless stone steps to get to your room...considering the already high altitude of Cusco this gets annoying very quickly.

Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank Alfred52
Reviewed 5 July 2009

Beautiful views of Cuzco. However, the bathroom was severely moldy and the floor above our bedroom creaked so loudly when people moved around that it was laughable. Thank goodness they went to bed early! The 100 plus bumpy, rocky steps, with no guide rails, up to the room were also difficult, even to the acclimated. My husband left me a phone message and the reception staff stoutly denied receiving any such message. The hotel requires advance payment of one night and will not refund the money. Clearly they've had many unhappy customers in the past.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2008

We stayed at Casa de Campo for 3 nights prior to our Inca Trail trek and 1 night after in May 2008. We found everything to be satisfactory and the staff to be helpful and friendly.

We are both fit, so the walk from the Plaza de Armas to the hotel & climbing the stairs in the hotel wasn't a problem for us. I can understand how people who don't want this physical activity would rate this hotel lower.

It does get chilly in the rooms at night & in the early morning, but we felt the blankets that were provided were more than adequate. Breakfast was nice. It consisted of plenty of rolls, bread, jams, cheese & tea.

The views from the hotel were great. There are a couple of different outdoor sitting areas that give you a nice panorama of the city below & of the stars & sky overhead.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Casa de Campo and would have no problems recommending it.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family