“superb!!”

Uchu Peruvian Steakhouse
Ranked #11 of 693 Restaurants in Cusco
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Peruvian, Latin, Contemporary, South American
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Uchu's kitchen is inspired by classic Peruvian recipes touched with contemporary sophistication. We also play with new ingredients taking new flavors and creating unequable experiences for the palate. Carved wooden bases, volcanic stones prepared at high temperatures, an ample selection of surf and turf ítems from which to choose, native aji creams and aromatic herbs allow us to provide a unique dining experience for all. Located in a colonial home in the center of Cusco, exposed adobe walls, clay, aged wood, avant garde textiles, candles and crystals create an eclectic ambience in which to enjoy your experience.
englewood colorado
“superb!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I never return to the same restaurant 4 days later but this place makes my mouth water. Everything was delicious and service could not be better. Prices were very reasonable for such fine dining. I recommend to everyone every age.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank gudrun94

• Finnish first
Bend, Oregon
“Great food and decent service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We went here for our first night in Cusco and it spoiled us for the rest of the trip as we never had meats as tender and delicious anywhere else. We tried the steak, lamb, and alpaca, all served on a sizzling lava stone. It's making my mouth water just thinking about it. The servers were attentive, but could have been more outgoing and some of the other diners that ordered after we did were getting their orders sooner. Overall it was a good experience with great food and we'd definitely go there again.

Visited August 2014
Boston
“Loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I agree with everything others have already said. We went as a family of four and I offer this advice: the appetizers are fabulous! We just ordered two "meat plates" as entrees to share between the four of us (2 adults and two teenagers) and went heavy on the apps apps. By doing so, you get to try lots of different things besides meat (think ceviche, bruschetta with shrimp, salads, etc.) Enjoy!

• Visited August 2014
Finland
“This is why you dine out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Had dinner here with my husband in July while touring South America.

There usually comes a point when travelling for many weeks when sitting in a restaurant, trying yet another thing (and perhaps being disappointed) and going through all the motions simply becomes tiring. You miss home-made food. You miss your own kitchen and your own, perfect and tasty creations. I had reached this point when we made reservations to Uchu our first night in Cuzco (reservations are a must!). In addition, I was dubious about the ‘steak aspect’ as well since quite often you get the best steak in your own kitchen.

How wrong was I! Uchu restored my faith in dining out and gave me energy for the following two weeks of our holiday to go on believing there was yet another fantastic meal to be had somewhere.

Service was excellent. The waitress’ English was excellent, drinks, water and wine were all actually brought out in the right order (and not, as in most other places, with drinks taking forever and then being brought out pretty much at the same time as the wine or, alternatively, with the wine not being served until the food had already arrived) and our request about changing tables from a side room to the much nicer and more atmospheric main dining room was dealt with grace and kindness.

Food was excellent. I literally cannot stop thinking about the various meats, served on volcano rocks, that we had. They were perfectly cooked (only place where we actually received rare steak, as per our wishes, on our tour) and the accompaniments were equally perfect. We had starters of prawn bruschettas and ceviche. Only tiny complaint would be that they were way too big. We should have skipped them or shared one (which the waiter did recommend, but we were hungry and couldn’t agree on what to have). The chocolate dessert looked stunning but we were unfortunately too full to try it.

The place, décor and ambience were equally excellent.

Go here! If you have only one place that you can dine in while in Cuzco, make it this one!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Boarding_gate123
Easton, Maryland, United States
“Meal of the year, right here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I don't write as many restaurant reviews as I used to, because I feel that I experience so little in one visit that writing a review is ultimately futile. However, since I had my best meal of 2014 in Uchu Peruvian Steakhouse last week, it's incumbent upon me to write this review so that you all go to Uchu too!

Uchu is located on Calle Palacio, just off the Plaza de Armas. It's a very nice space and the decor is attractive and pleasant. The menu is mainly meat (it is a steakhouse) but the way it was cooked and presented was utterly unique to my American eyes and palate. We ordered a dish composed of beef, lamb, and alpaca. It came half-cooked on a hot volcanic stone. By cutting it and pressing it on the stone, you cook it to the degree you like. Then there are four different sauces to put on the meet, which varied from a honey glaze to a spicy chili sauce. So much more interesting than just the piece of meat presented in (what I consider) a traditional steakhouse. Plus there were side dishes! Free sides! I love free sides!

The Bottom Line
I never repeat restaurants on a trip, but if I had had an extra day in Cusco, I would have come back. This was my best meal of the year and I'd be very surprised if anything in the next four months tops it. So if you're down Cusco way, by all means check it out. The prices are far less than you'd pay in America or Europe for steak but the meal was better.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank James K