“This hotel is a good price for the location”

Emperador Plaza Hotel
Ranked #116 of 162 Hotels in Cusco
Atlanta, Georgia
“This hotel is a good price for the location”
Reviewed 24 November 2011

The hotel was ok. It is located in the heart of Cusco, so I was able to walk to a lot of places (markets, restaurants, etc) from there. The room was as another review described it "tired". It could use some remodeling in the rooms. My heater unit did not work and I went down to request an extra blanket and never got it. Overall just OK for my first visit to Cusco.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 October 2010

The problem with this place is mostly with the woman that runs the desk during the day, so unfortunately if you stay here you have to deal with her. I walked into this place to book a room and they gave me a discount because I booked 6 days (4 days in one week and 2 days upon my return from the Inca Trail). The day I got back from the Inca Trail I called to let them know I would check in really late and the woman told me that my reservation was no longer valid because of a big group of toruists who, apparently, had booked many weeks earlier and they had made a mistake by telling me I had a room. When I complained about it, since the last thing you want to hear when you come back from 4 days in the jungle, is that you don't have a room, she told that I had not paid for the room in advance, which obviosuly drove me mad because no-one pays until the day they leave and after they received a service. During my stay there, she never looked at me once, when I was at the desk to pay or to ask a question she kept going about her business on the computer and she seemed to be really annoyed by answering even the simplest question. This place charges 60USD per night, which is quite a lot by Peruvian standards. Breakfast was very basic, all the fruit they had was out of a can, virtually every person coming to the breakfast area had to ask for hot water, bread etc... For a place that charges this much in Cusco, Peru, they sure are stingy. The safe boxes did not work in neither one of the rooms I was given. And they did not even have a single computer for clients to use. I've had computers in even the most basic hostels. You can find much better places for a fraction of the price and with staff that don't mind giving you some information. The place in itself is ok, the roms are clean, I did have hot water and it is basically around the corner from the PLaza de Armas, but her attitude almost made me happy about having to look for another place.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Cusco hotels

milton keynes
Reviewed 3 July 2010

Great location, just a few minutes walk from the beautiful Plaza de Armas. Three stars is maybe pushing it as a rating for this hotel, which like many independent Peruvian hotels is just very slightly tired. Building work going on next door, but no noise from this. All in all a perfectly decent hotel in a great location.

• Stayed June 2010
DFW
Reviewed 17 June 2010

We stayed in this hotel before and after our Inca trail tour. The location of the hotel is right around the corner from the main plaza. So, it is very close to most of the places of interest in Cusco.

The staff was very nice and very helpful. They were happy to store our bags when we were on our Inca trail trip for four days.(no charge)

The only negative comments i can express are that the heaters don't really work that well.(but, they give you lots of blankets) Also, the second room we stayed in, had next to no water pressure in the shower.

Overall, this is a great place to stay and I'm sure if you have any issues, the staff will be happy to do their best to make you comfortable.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 14 May 2010

We stayed at the Emperador during our quick vist to Cusco before/after our Inca trail hike. The location is great with several nice restaurants right across the street and the beautiful, vibrant Plaza de Armas just around the corner. You can easily walk to the cathedral, San Blas, Koricancha and great shopping/eating from the hotel. The staff was extremely nice and welcoming and most spoke some english. The rooms are rather basic and small but no different than other hotels that we stayed at in Lima or Aquas Calientes (near Machu Picchu).

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
encinitas,ca
Reviewed 4 May 2010

This was my second time at this hotel but this experience was terrible. Maria the front desk lady was extremely rude and openly insulted my wife. We booked tours through the hotel and for the three nights we were there they continued to say they would give us a wake up call, they never did. 3 mornings in a row we nearly missed our tours. I know we have an alarm clock but it was the idea of service. The coca tea they usually have was never plugged in. They charged us a “service” fee on check out that we refused to pay. The customer service from Maria was the worst I have been exposed to. We requested to speak to the owner about her and he seemed apathetic. We will never stay there again and I encourage other people to find another hotel also there are many hotels with similar locations and friendly staff who are happy to see you.
In general I have been to Cuzco and I know how good it was, but with the rain and the construction I would suggest putting your travels off for a year because we just got back from there and they have along way to go before it’s organized. The train tracks are not open so to see Manchu pichu involves taxis or buses to a train and the roads are half completed and very backed up with other vehicles. It was an unorganized mess. To add to the mess there were little to no tourists in Cuzco due to the rains so now they have increased the prices of everything and are gouging tourists at every opportunity and honestly it saddens me because I had such a great experience in 2006 there.
Closing- The hotel was a good location and a decent price but there are many other places where the staff seems happy to see you and happy you are there spending money.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wheelsEncinitas_ca
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 4 May 2010

Great Location within 1 block of Plaza in Cusco. ATM and market also located within one block. Excellent resturants nearby. Very friendly and accomodating staff. Breakfast is simple- yogurt, bread, fruit, cereal. Hotel can be loud in the mornings as most guest are getting up early for departures to Machu Pichu, etc. Free WiFi is best accesible in the lobby and seating areas downstairs and upstairs (concrete walls limit transmission).

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple