“so-so”

Emperador Plaza Hotel
Ranked #123 of 172 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Before to go Machu Picchu we have to stop in Cuzco city, also we been here before and after our main destination. We found this place per travel agent suggest, these are nearby to main plaza and some interesting museum. All those in hotel favors; against are into place; nothing personal, but someone who do not help as well into place to stay are the receptionist her responses to request are very poor and disqualified.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 March 2013

Arrived late in Cusco from Inca Trail and tried to book into my choice hotel, however no room. They kindly called a few hotels in area and Hotel Emperador Plaza had a room available. Was told I could stay two nights. Checked in and went up to room to shower.... no hot water. Got into bed and was kept awake my noisy passages and walking up and down. Morning woken up through thin walls and had a luke warm shower. No internet connectivity in room so went downstairs. Told abruptly by front desk I couldn't stay another night. Asked if they could call another hotel - and was told rudely if I didn't have the number they couldn't help. When I did find a hotel, despite being just down the road and plus the inconvenience of having to move hotels, they would not help me walk my bags across. New hotel had no problem helping out.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2012

This was a good hotel overall. I was staying as part of a group tour and managed to sample 3 rooms in total. The first was a small double room, there was only just enough room to move round the bed, but I wasn't in there much so I didn't mind. The bathroom was a better size and adequate. The second day I had to move as I was sharing with another group member, it was bad planning that I wasn't in this room initially as moving my bags was hard work at altitude! This was a much bigger twin room, no view, good sized bathroom and excellent shower. I stayed in the third room after the Inca trail, again a good sized twin but with no windows unfortunately, quite a change after camping.

Overall, the breakfast was good and there was always coca tea in reception. I know friends had a few problems with the laundry service but I didn't bother!

I'd stay here again simply on location.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Stayed here a total of four nights as part of a group tour. Our room was small and in need of decoration, with peeling paint etc. The blankets on the bed and the carpet were old and in need of cleaning. We returned mid stay to the usual strip across the toilet saying "This toilet has been sanitised" but when we went to use the toilet we found it full of someone else's urine and toilet paper! On returning one evening after a day out, we found our door had been left open, presumably by the cleaner.(Nothing was missing.) The woman on the desk was totally uninterested when I reported this. The mechanism on the inside of the door of the safe was held in place by sticky tape and the hairdryer was too dangerous to use.
The only good point was that it was in an excellent location which felt safe and was in the heart of Cusco.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2012

The hotel has rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors (1st and 2nd for UK readers). We stayed here twice; once before going to Machu Picchu and once after. It is close to the main square and is opposite the Machu Picchu museum (didn't get a chance to visit unfortunately). Both times we were on the top floor and the altitude does make you feel tired.... The rooms are spacious with storage and a safety deposit box. The bathrooms are nice too but advise against using the hairdryer if you can. The hotel only does breakfast and you may have to wait for a space at the tables and for food to come out. Service starts at 05.30 but that may be as by product of the church bells at 05.00!

There are plenty of good restaurants near by as well as cheaper local eateries and pubs. Nice place to use as a base to explore the city. Staff generally helpful. Intermittant wi-fi though the pub over the road has this too if you need to use.

Room Tip: The bells ring out at 05.00 most mornings - don't think there is a way to avoid them!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pinkfootpat
Reviewed 28 August 2012

This hotel is in a great location around the corner from the main Plaza. I stayed with a group tour. The staff were helpful, the beds are comfortable, the water was always hot in the shower and the rooms are clean. The electrics for the heater were a bit dodgy and required wiggling (in rubber shoes) to work. The hair dryer worked for 30 seconds. There is a buffet breakfast but you need to ask if you want scrambled eggs as they are not offered.
My room had a view over a service entrance and was dark but was quite spacious. It was very cold so I was delighted when the heater decided to work.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed here twice unfortunately. The first room didn't have a window to outside and the skirting boards were falling off the wall. The guy on reception almost had a fit when we asked if we could have another room.

On the second time we stayed the room was a bit better, but after the first night the TV stopped working. They seemed to be doing some maintenance work and our fellow travellers thought that someone had been in to their rooms when they were out.

This is the only hotel that I've ever stayed at that starts vaccuming at 7 in the morning. On both stays they didn't bother making our room up.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with windows to the outside.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends