“cold personnel but lucked out on room”

and 1 more site!
Hospedaje Turistico San Blas
Ranked #26 of 344 Cusco B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“cold personnel but lucked out on room”
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Came here as my usual hostal was booked when I tried for a last minute reservation. The room I had (208) was great. It was big. All the beds in the room were different, and lucked out with a really great one for the two evening stay. I stayed here a few years back but couldn't remember why I didn't like it. And then...it came back to me. The attitude of the staff which just lends to an overall cold feeling of the place. They had moments of being friendly, mainly when I first asked if they had a room available. Otherwise, found them hugely impersonal and bordering on rude. Never said good morning when I came down or a hello when I entered. When I asked if the internet was available only in the courtyard, the person at the front desk just gave me a blank stare before answering coldly, ¨yes¨. Also, my room was on the second floor and the shared bathroom is in somewhat of an alcove off the first floor, as if you're heading towards a basement, so not the most convenient. One evening, I had just returned and hadn't had a chance to get up to my room to grab toilet paper to use the bathroom (they give you your own roll). There was none in the bathroom itself and I went to the front desk to ask for some; it was obvious I really had to go. The woman at the front desk just replied that I have toilet paper in my room and only gave me a roll begrudgingly. The breakfast is really simple and limited, the juice def not fresh and that's something you get regularly in hostales or restaurantes, regardless of price. I was able to get wi-fi in my room, in case you want to try it with your laptop and not head to the central courtyard. Also, the shared bathrooms were not the cleanest (though you do get good hot water as reviewed previously). Whenever I went, the toilet seats looked filthy. The price was cheap, though,and exactly what I needed. The price matched the quality of service. Would only stay here if I absolutely needed to.

Room Tip: 208 was great. quiet, large, and good beds. though you're sharing a bath which is located about...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Colorado
Reviewed 28 July 2011

The staff was very helpful. The room was clean though very bare bones. I would recommend it if you are not planning to spend a lot of time in your room. It was perfect for me as I was out all day sightseeing and only returned to sleep and shower.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Colorado
Reviewed 31 May 2011

This property says it is a hostel but really was more of a lovely b&b for my friend and I.
The price was good, the showers were hot, the breakfast was small but that is customary in this country.
We had a safe airport pickup from the wonderful staff, nothing but good things to say about them. It is inconvenient sometimes to store things in their safe at the desk as you can't always access it. We just set our schedule around it.
We had a lovely room on the courtyard.
It does get cold so do leave your heater on if you are only going our for a few hours.
The only way this seems to be more of a hostel is that you don't get daily hskp and you have lower quality linens..but really who cares for the price.
The area is beautiful and there are good restaurants in the area. After a few days of local dining try Numa Raymi's... you will pass it on the walk to the plaza.. AMAZING food!!

Also as two ladies traveling alone even being grigas--we felt totally safe staying here and the staff ensured that we did. Cusco is wonderful.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jcktvls
Duluth, Georgia
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Staff not Hispanic friendly, Bathroom very dark and sewer smell coming from shower,
Terrible breakfast, and to top it all off I had to wait 30 minutes to check out and then they tried to charge me more than the confirmed price, good thing I had all the emails.
You can find much better rooms for the money....

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
New Haven, CT
Reviewed 29 June 2010

I stayed at Hospedaje Turístico San Blas for a total of four nights on a trip involving some work and some leisure. The rooms are nice (amply sized, private bathrooms), there is a functional wireless internet connection, and the feel of the hotel is homey and comfortable. Also, the staff is hugely freindly and accomodating. I had been somewhat hesitant to pay the few extra dollars to be in a single room in this place as opposed to a single with a shared bathroom in a hostel, but it was undoubtedly worth the price.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 8 May 2010

We loved this backpackers stop starting with the cozy lobby area. It is an old facility but has maintained the oldness of a time that seemed so simple. Old wood floors and cute balconies that lead to your room. We stayed in a room that was supplied for 4 people. 4 beds and they were REAL comfy! Lined with wool blankets that kept me warm all night long. Hot shower and good plumbing too. Also had cable TV in the rooms. Each morning, breads and teas were offered in the main area with the warmth of a fireplace burning at night and in the morning for the added comfort and happy feeling. There is a computer in the main area with free internet but the keyboard is old and not so good. There are other internet places all over cuzco, just find one that has good, readable keyboards. There is wireless in the main area so if you have your own laptop, it's not a problem connecting.
Front desk is very cordial and very accomodating. They treat you like family! There is an ATM at the hotel as well. if you do change money at any of the money exchanegs, make sure that your money is clean and without marks or tears because the changers will not accept any cash that is damaged. Even the slightest tear will be refused! Carry lots of small coins and dollars in Cusco because most pplaces don't have change when you make cash puchases.
Hotel is awesome but you may need to take earplugs. It has old wood floors that creak when anyone is up and about. The place is not large but it becomes very quiet at night and you can hear noise that you may just want to tune out for a good nights rest.
PS...very affordable for sure!
Hotel also has a storage room for you to leave the bulk of your stuff before heading to the Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu. It is safe and it is locked up until you return to Cuzco for your overnight at the end of your journey. That was a perk for sure as there were things we wanted for Peru but not necessarily for the hike to MP!

• Stayed April 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 19 August 2009

My daughter and I stayed for 4 nights, 3 before and one after hiking the inka trail. The hostal is cute and comfortable and the showers are hot hot hot, which is a BIG deal when it gets very cold at night and after hiking the trail. We stayed in 2 different rooms, one in the back on the first floor with a view out over roof tops and one just over the front door (the one with the wicked cranberry bathroom fixtures). Both had comfortable beds and were very clean. The whole hostal was very cold, but we left our little heater on whenever we went into the room , which made it bearable, and the beds come with several wool blankets, so sleeping was always warm and comfy.

The breakfast is nothing much, just tea, coffee, cereal and some weird type of bread which varies from day to day and is sometimes good and sometimes so so. There is s a little bakery up the hill on the left before the next intersection that has good and Cheap pastries or you can go around the corner at the bottom of the block to Jacks for a nice breakfast, so it was never a problem. The computer is slow but handy and I second the recommendation for the phone center across the street. The owner speaks english and is very helpful, if you, for instance, leave your bank card in an ATM machine and need to find a US number to report your stupidity and cancel the card (DOH!)

I found the hostal employees all very helpful, even those who don't speak english, they always found me someone who did whenever I needed something. We had no problems with storing our bags at 4:45 am when leaving for the inka trail, or retrieving them on our return or storing them after we checked out on the morning we left and before our flight. They will call a taxi for you to the airport;, which costs approximately half what the cabs charge if you get them on your own. And they take visa without any problems, which is a great help after you lose your ATM card!

Hostal San Blas is a good choice in Cusco for a double with 2 beds for approximately $40 US a night.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family