“Good Place in Cusco” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 339 Cusco B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“Good Place in Cusco”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

We stopped here for our first night in Cusco, got terribly sick (NOT from the hostal!), and ended up staying for 10 days while we looked for apartments in Cusco. The rooms are basic, but a descent size, and have space heaters. Ours had a bathroom, and we were able to haggle the price down a bit, which was nice. The perks are the common areas, where there are plenty of places to sit, good WI-FI connection, and you can get a great view from the roof (although no tables/chairs up there). The location is also awesome because it's 3 minutes from the Plaza de Armas, and in San Blas, but not far uphill at all! It's not a party hostal, but there was a good mix of mature backpackers, families, and travelers from the continent and beyond. Breakfast was not anything to write home about, but there was basic coffee, tea, bread, and an egg if you asked for it. Plenty of restaurants right out the door, which is good, because there's no guest-use kitchen. Staff was friendly and helpful overall.

Recommended if you're looking for a quiet place to recover or acclimate with medium standards, while still being in the heart of touristy Cusco.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Juliakg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
PL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

This is a great place. Right in the centre of town, quiet, lovely common room. Staff are fine if not superb. Breakfast is simple, but no flies (coffee sucks as usual in Peru). Rooms clean, sleep great, hot showers. I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

Had a great stay in this hostal. The rooms are big even though the one we stayed in is a little dark (pick the one on the second floor - seems to have more natural light). It came with private bathroom, a heater, telephone, cable TV, and hot water. Wifi is available in the dining room, but not in our room.

Breakfast was included in the price - basic but since it's self serve we can eat as much as we can. The place is centrally located between Plaza del Arma and Plaza San Blas. Recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Bellingham, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

After having a horrible experience at Hostal Amaru, (bedbugs, no room heaters, and WAY too much noise at the Amaru) we moved across the street to the Hospedaje San Blas. Its not as "fancy", but it is absolutely clean, with large rooms, comfortable beds, soft pillows, 24 hour gushing HOT water, very quiet, wi-fi, TVs, laundry service, Peruano breakfast, gracious responsive service, an ATM, and right in the heart of the San Blas District. We had a queen room, very quiet and secluded with private bath - for about $35 a night. Most of the folks who stay here are Peruanos. A REAL FIND!

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank helmsgal
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

Came here as my usual hostal was booked when I tried for a last minute reservation. The room I had (208) was great. It was big. All the beds in the room were different, and lucked out with a really great one for the two evening stay. I stayed here a few years back but couldn't remember why I didn't like it. And then...it came back to me. The attitude of the staff which just lends to an overall cold feeling of the place. They had moments of being friendly, mainly when I first asked if they had a room available. Otherwise, found them hugely impersonal and bordering on rude. Never said good morning when I came down or a hello when I entered. When I asked if the internet was available only in the courtyard, the person at the front desk just gave me a blank stare before answering coldly, ¨yes¨. Also, my room was on the second floor and the shared bathroom is in somewhat of an alcove off the first floor, as if you're heading towards a basement, so not the most convenient. One evening, I had just returned and hadn't had a chance to get up to my room to grab toilet paper to use the bathroom (they give you your own roll). There was none in the bathroom itself and I went to the front desk to ask for some; it was obvious I really had to go. The woman at the front desk just replied that I have toilet paper in my room and only gave me a roll begrudgingly. The breakfast is really simple and limited, the juice def not fresh and that's something you get regularly in hostales or restaurantes, regardless of price. I was able to get wi-fi in my room, in case you want to try it with your laptop and not head to the central courtyard. Also, the shared bathrooms were not the cleanest (though you do get good hot water as reviewed previously). Whenever I went, the toilet seats looked filthy. The price was cheap, though,and exactly what I needed. The price matched the quality of service. Would only stay here if I absolutely needed to.

Room Tip: 208 was great. quiet, large, and good beds. though you're sharing a bath which is located about...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

The staff was very helpful. The room was clean though very bare bones. I would recommend it if you are not planning to spend a lot of time in your room. It was perfect for me as I was out all day sightseeing and only returned to sleep and shower.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

This property says it is a hostel but really was more of a lovely b&b for my friend and I.
The price was good, the showers were hot, the breakfast was small but that is customary in this country.
We had a safe airport pickup from the wonderful staff, nothing but good things to say about them. It is inconvenient sometimes to store things in their safe at the desk as you can't always access it. We just set our schedule around it.
We had a lovely room on the courtyard.
It does get cold so do leave your heater on if you are only going our for a few hours.
The only way this seems to be more of a hostel is that you don't get daily hskp and you have lower quality linens..but really who cares for the price.
The area is beautiful and there are good restaurants in the area. After a few days of local dining try Numa Raymi's... you will pass it on the walk to the plaza.. AMAZING food!!

Also as two ladies traveling alone even being grigas--we felt totally safe staying here and the staff ensured that we did. Cusco is wonderful.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends