“The Hotel Los Marqueses and SAS Travel are First Class”
Review of MARQUESES Hotel

MARQUESES Hotel
Ranked #56 of 165 Hotels in Cusco
Manhattan Beach, California
“The Hotel Los Marqueses and SAS Travel are First Class”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I booked a semi-custom trip with SAS Travel which included 4 nights at the Hotel Marqueses. The staff is very engaging, helpful and fun. The upgrade to a suite was very reasonable and well worth the extra investment. The included breakfast was also more than adequate. The staff will make a custom, very delicious omelette or egg scramble. Make sure you ask for this since it is not obvious that this is available. The location is also fantastic, and access to the Plaza de Armas and all of the best restaurants is at their doorstep. I would recommend the Hotel Los Marqueses to all!

Room Tip: Invest the extra $40 or so per night for a suite. It is well worth it.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank dlangley25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Stayed here with Wife and 16yo daughter for a few nights and really enjoyed the hotel. The hotel has a really nice feel to it, was quite comfortable and very good value. It is not a modern sterile hotel but rather a charming colonial building with a central courtyard onto which the rooms open.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent, plenty of fruit, pastries etc and eggs cooked however you prefer.

Location was good with lots of restaurants nearby and close to attractions.

While there may be similar hotels of this style in Cusco I was more than happy with my stay.

Would I stay here again.......Yes.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Hinton, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2013

stayed 3 times at this hotel and found it to be a very comfortable experience. It is not a modern 5 star hotel, it is an old Spanish Colonial building, as advertised. The staff were always friendly and helpful, full marks to Mariella on the front desk. Would stay here again on my next Cusco trip.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
pa
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed in 2 suites for 4 nights. The bathroom in one was very clean 5+ stars. The other bathroom, 4 stars.
The rooms are huge with high ceiling. Due to the old 'boutique' furnitures and heavy draperies, they gave the impression of dank & gloom, but to us they're actually charming. And sadly, as some reviewers have mentioned, the wooden drawers 'appeared' to be moldy. They could've just varnished/ painted them. The rooms themselves are clean, though. No central heating, but the heater in the room was good enough. No soundproof wall either. If you are light sleeper, the traffic & honk in the street could keep you up all night. Bring earplugs, as many travel sites recommend when traveling to developing countries. Maybe 3.5 stars for the rooms...
All the beds we slept in are clean and comfortable - 5 stars.
We loved the breakfast! Fresh juice & fresh tropical fruits each morning, made-to-order omellete, local breads, local jams & spreads, probiotic yogurt, cereal & milk, ham & cheese. The coffee was bad though. 4 - 4.5 stars
Yes, as some reviewers mentioned, wireless in the rooms in non-existent. All guests have to come to the lobby to get the signal - 1 star for that.
The staffs deserved 5+ stars, and the location is great - 5 stars.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 7 July 2013

It's a beautiful boutique hotel in a great location that is walking distance from most sites in Centro Historico. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The courtyards, the doors and the balconies are quaint and pretty. While the rooms are spacious and reasonably nice, small improvements in decor could really add to the experience. Small irritants like a skylight that lets light in early morning, or a door that doesn't close properly, or a bed that creaks a little, or a table that's a bit dusty take away from the experience of this otherwise nice place. I do understand that it's a heritage building and everything is old, but some of these problems should be fixable. The other problem that needs to be fixed is wi-fi. It only works in the open courtyard and hence can't be used at night or when it's raining.
I do want to mention that compared to other places I stayed at in Peru, the breakfast here was really good. Overall, a very nice stay but could have been much better.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The Marqueses so called "Boutique Hotel", as a matter of fact, is a horrible place to stay besides being based on lies. In their homepage, they define themselves as "known for its incomparable hospitality, warmth and friendly", "well lit rooms and heaters ensure your comfort and a great nights sleep", but surprised us to be the exact opposite of this definition.
My husband and I arrived, at early night, after 10 hours driving from Puerto Maldonado. The first annoyance was that the parking place they have asserted us was very close (through email) was at least 5 big blocks away (up and down, remebering it was Cusco!)
It was a very cold day and the interior of the hotel had the same temperature as outdoor, as they seem to aim saving electric energy, instead of providing comfort for their guests.
When we entered the room ("Deluxe" according to the reservation), I was shocked: it was freezing and with only one heater for a really big place considering the high ceiling. Besides, one has not to be allergic to smell and see mould everywhere: to create the fake atmosphere of an old mansion ,it had lots of curtains, drapperies and useless pieces of old furniture not exactly clean (probably, this was the "boutique" aspect of their self definition).
I must mention that the night shift bus boy (man), although being rude, provide us with another heater when asked to do so, but it was a big problem to find a jack to plug it in, as the few ones were in weird places. We had a bad night, not to mention the skylight I had not yet noticed, that let light in from 5:30am on... Adorable, isn't it?
In the morning, another surprise: I had to send an email and I tried to do so from my room, as I was suffering a little from altitude sickness. Well, I couldn't. The wi-fi zone comprises only the uncovered and gelid front courtyard and the freezing lobby .
We went to a walk, as we were not there to fight but to visit a city we adore, and meanwhile decided to leave the hotel, as we saw in our promenade better ones for the same price.
When we got back and told the afternoon front desk man we would be leaving the next day, pleading the coldness and the mold stinking, this one told us the we should read what we had accord to when making the reservation - even notifying previously that we intend to leave the hotel we would have to pay for it anyway. And he proposed to move us to "a more beautiful" one, as if it were a matter of aesthetics, instead of a health one!

At this point, I had already got a strong cold, was feeling weak and did not want to spoil even more my holidays beginning a police case in a foreign country, so we gave up struggling in a foreign language and decided to stay in that spot , feeling trapped.

The next morning, talking to the nice and helpful morning front desk woman - Mariela- she moved us to another room, around the courtyard, which at least didn't have the disturbing skylight window (Obviously, although the room looked shabby also belonged to "Deluxe" category)

There are only one positive point in this whole story: Mariela, Liz and William, the morning staff, are really nice, competent and friendly people, who deserved to work in better conditions

I have been to many hotels around the world : backpacker's hostels and regular, luxury and real boutique hotels and this one certainly is the worst I have ever been: They pretend to be what they are not, and the guests pay for their pretension.
We strongly recommend: AVOID IT !!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Claudia H
NYC
Reviewed 1 June 2013

My wife and I stayed for a few nights before and after our Inca Trail hike. The location was conveniently near our tour guide office SAS Travel and within a short walk of main square as well as most attractions. The staff at the hotel are very accommodating. Rooms are furnished in antique style and even have old metal keys. Although the bathroom and TV is modern. The few slight drawbacks were difficulty learning how to operate the room safe, tricky door locks and very weak wi-fi signal on the second floor. All highly outweighed by the many benefits the hotel offers.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms with skylight unless you are an early riser.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple