“Perfect location”
Review of Hotel Rumi Punku

Hotel Rumi Punku
Ranked #16 of 172 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 6 April 2008

We stayed here 2 nights while in Cusco and were quite pleased. It's not at all like a hostal but more like a really nice small hotel. The courtyard is beautiful with lots of plants and decorative items. I had lots of questions becuase I was worried about the altitude and had difficulty making up my mind on which dates we wanted to reserve. The email replies were prompt and helped answer my concerns. The location made getting around easy and a nice breakfast is included in the reasonable room rate.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,562)

Reviewed 30 March 2008

We chose to stay at Hotel Rumi Punku on both sides of our trip to Machu Picchu based on recommendations on Trip Advisor & the Frommer's Peru book. Overall it was clean and had a convient location. But there were a few negatives. Here's our thoughts:

Good:
-Location is great, close to Plaza de Armas & restaurants
-Guys at the front desk were nice & very helpful
-They were there on time to pick us up at the Airport

Bad:
-Both rooms were like sleeping in the middle of the courtyard. We went to sleep with the sounds of a party in the main room & woke up with the sounds of screaming americans getting ready to leave the hotel at 5AM
-Rooms were kind of chilly & had no real windows (which allowed both cold air and noise to get in)
-Lumpy bed and miniature pillows
-Breakfast was not great and the fruit may have been the source of my "travel bug"
-Sergio the "hotel travel agent" erroneously advised us to pick up our perurail tickets at the Huanchac station which we had bought online (a half hour walk). The station was closed and it was unnecessary as the San Pedro Station we left from the next morning had no problems finding our reservation and our tickets

You may want to shop around before staying here.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank JFucillo
Reviewed 29 March 2008

Arrived at the hotel and taken to the room which was large and clean. The staff Jorge and Javier very helpful. As we didn't take advantage of hotel pickup on arrival asked could they take us to the airport which they did free of charge.
The continual availability of hot drinks free internet usage and the fact the towels were changed daily.Breakfast was not just the buffet but also offerred eggs and juice. I thought this hostal value for money on all counts.

1  Thank Ruth S
Reviewed 28 March 2008

I went to Peru with a cupple of friends of my. When we finshed the Inka trail and came back to Cusco the staff of RumiPunku came and picked us up at the train staition. This hotel really made an impression on me. The rooms were nice, clean and comfortable with uniqe decor (never seen anithing like it in Peru).

The breakfast was very good with eggs made as wished, fresh fruit, fresh juice, musli, ham and cheese, and the best coffe I ever tried in Peru.

Free internet was nice too.

I feel we got much for the money and would love to come back!

I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ar0undthew0rld87
Reviewed 25 March 2008

My family of 7 (2 seniors, 2 adults & 3 teenagers) just returned from Peru. stayed 3 nights at Hostal Rumi Punku and loved it. It is quiet and charming. Clean, comfortable beds, good breakfast. Easy access to Coca Mate Tea for those acclimating to altitude. Close to Plaza de Armas and good restaurants. Service was great! Everyone was very accomodating. Very secure, electric gate & night security. Always a cab waiting right outside.
Would definitely say again!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank N0rwester
Reviewed 23 March 2008

I booked this place based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. The reviews couldn't have been more wrong. For what its worth, here are my impressions:

The Good:
* The hotel is ok. Its clean, staff are nice and in a good location; Only few minutes to the main plaza.
* They stored our luggage while we went to Machu Picchu for free.

The Bad:
* We paid $80 USD per night for this place. It is nothing special. After seeing a bunch of hotels and hostels we realized that it was slightly better than the good hostels in town (we eventually moved to San Blas which is right down the street closer to the main square for 32USD) but charge almost 3 time the price. You can get a good hostel between 25 - 35 USD.
* I had requested and emphasised that I wanted a double bed (also called a matrimonial in Peru) b/c I was proposing to my girl friend on this trip at Machu Picchu. When we returned after getting engaged, they had given our double bed room away and gave us a room with 3 single beds and no other rooms available. So for the next two nights we slept in single bed together.

The Ugly:
*I was told I can pay with Visa. When I came to pay, they said there is a 8% charge to pay with Visa (The exchange rate is 2.76 Soles / USD and they charged us 2.98 Soles / USD). I asked them to refund my Visa payment, went down the street to a bank machine that vends USD and got USD to pay the 240USD for 3 nights.

3  Thank Lankz
Reviewed 26 February 2008

went with my boyfriend and stayed in a double bed with private bathroom. the room was awesome! tv, with a heater, whitest bathroom ever and very spacious. the pictures dont do it justice. the staff was pretty friendly very helpful in guiding us in cuzco the only thing was we were told that we could get a room after going to machu picchu but the day we left it was not confirmed and they weren't helpful in helping us find an alternative.

Stayed: August 2007