“WONDERFUL”
Review of Hotel Rumi Punku

Hotel Rumi Punku
Ranked #18 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 21 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at Rumi Punku for six days, one of which was my birthday. My mother contacted the Rumi Punku staff to ask if there was anything special they could do for my birthday... So, on the morning of my birthday I walked into the breakfast room to find a bouquet of flowers, a lovely birthday cake complete with candles, a gift, and the entire staff as well as guests singing "Happy Birthday". When my mother attempted to pay for all of this, the hotel staff refused (paid out of their own pockets) and even took a picture of my husband and me to send to my family back in the States. In addition to this overt-the-top kindness for my birthday, the Rumi Punku staff were always courteous, efficient, and helpful. It was the nicest place we stayed during our entire three-week stay in Peru.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 October 2010

This hotel is located a few short streets north of the main plaza. Quiet street at night, but a good variety of restaurants and grocery stores just down the block.
The hotel is very attractive, with an Inca front entrance and public areas decorated with an eclectic collection of antiques, flowers and fountains. There is free high speed internet in the business center, with the best computers and connections I came across in Cusco. Breakfast was good: a collection of meats, breads, fruit, and some excellent juices. Eggs could be cooked to order, although I did not take advantage of this myself.
The rooms I had (two stays, bookending my Machu Picchu trip) were clean and functional. Great beds, good bathrooms, and a small TV suspended from the ceiling.
I did have two problems with my stays. In both cases, I think the problems would be the same with any hotel in Cusco- so they may not be actual problems with this hotel. First, the walls were paper thin. I could clearly hear conversations and TV in adjacent rooms. This hotel is built from an old central courtyard style home, like most hotels in this part of town. It may be that they are all constructed similarly. Second, the heat was only turned on at night, and I found the rooms to be a bit cold when I came back to them soaked from the October rains. Plenty of warm blankets, so I slept well.
To summarize, I think the hotel is very nice and a good value. I suspect the aspects I did not like would be found in any small hotel in Cusco, so I would plan accordingly.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank winnydpu
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We stayed for 8 days at the Rumi Punku hotel in August. The staff was wonderful and helpful. Sergio arranged transportation and guide services for us to Machu Picchu and other sites and ruins in the area. He was very helpful in making selections that fit what we wanted to do. The prices were very reasonable and it saved us a lot of time in trying to figure things out for ourselves. The rooms were very comfortable and the location is perfect. The hotel is just a few blocks to the main square. Cusco is a wonderful city that one can feel safe and secure walking at any time of the day or night. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2010

The hotel Rumi Punku is really charming and the staff in very helpful. The moment you enter is a great surprise as you find yourself inside a colonial building with Inca walls. We have been in the Cusco area for 8 days and the staff has been very helpful following our "flexible" schedule, moving the days of our stay and the luggage. An excellent breakfast cooked at the moment was served everyday in the beautiful old dining room

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2010

We stayed here both before and after our 4-day Inca Trail hike. The lush garden setting with flowering plants and sunny terraces made a nice respite after the long days of touring. We chose this hotel, based on the overwhelming positive reviews we had read about it.

On the front end, we had a standard room for five nights ($90/night) which was meticulously clean and had a breathtaking view of the surrounding hills (Room 304). The more expensive superior room for two nights ($120/night) after the trek was tucked away in a dark corner with no view and lots of noise from the adjacent staircase (Room 114); the only difference in this room itself was more floor space with two chairs in it. It was certainly not worth the added cost. Both rooms had toilets that were continuously plugged. The staff insisted the problem was that we were trying to flush the toilet paper instead of using the trash can for it. This was simply not true - plus, even the public toilets in the hotel did not flush properly. Finally, we gave up asking the staff to come and clear the toilet - instead we used the public toilet near the lobby.

From reviews of hotels in the Cusco area, I knew that hot water for showers is a touchy issue. At the Rumi Punku, I found it a bit frustrating trying to figure out when there would be hot water for my shower. My husband always seemed to have hot water for his, however, at one point I had three showers in a row where the water was at best, lukewarm. We talked with another couple on our Inca Trail trek that stayed here - they had a similar experience with the inconsistent supply of hot water.

The WiFi router did not work on the side of the hotel where our second room was located; we tried to communicate this to the staff but they insisted there was nothing wrong with it when obviously there was. No one in the office seemed to have any technical knowledge of the internet system. Our solution was to go sit in the courtyard of the part of the hotel with the working WiFi and do our computer work there.

The hotel's heating system uses hot water radiators that are only turned on from 6 to 10 PM and again for a couple hours early in the morning (4 to 7 AM?). By 4 PM, it was usually so cold in the room that we donned our warmest clothes and wrapped ourselves in the hotel blankets.

The absolute best part of the hotel was the private spa on the 4th floor (top level). For $10 per person, you can have the whole facility to yourself for up to 2 hours - this includes nice workout equipment (step trainer, cycle) plus 4-person jacuzzi, sauna, shower, changing room. The last time slot of the day (4 to 6 PM) is perfect for soaking in the jetted tub while watching the golden light fall across the Cusco mountains.

As mentioned by others, this hotel is charming and the staff is more like family. However, after checking out other options for similar quality lodging in Cusco, we found other places to stay for a lot less $$$ (and hopefully, less frustrations). We are already planning our return to Cusco for a more extended stay and plan to try some of these.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lost_ona_Painted_Sky
Reviewed 23 September 2010

The hotel is located fairly near the center of town, which is great, and the street is quiet. But the street had a little bit of a less-than-safe quality. That is only an impression, nothing happened and I saw people walking without a care. Like I said, just a feeling.

The hotel is beautiful. Interior courtyards with fountains, authentic Incan building with colonialism built into it. Just really pretty.

The staff when I got there was actually kind of surly. I had read about how great the staff was, but they were cold upon my arrival, which really soured me on the hotel as we had just endured a train/bus ride back from a very long day at Macchu Picchu. Upon check out, the new faces were much friendlier though.

The only real problem I had was that the hotel has wood floors. That leads to a lot of clunking around and echoes when you are trying to sleep or stay asleep. If the people above you are leaving at 5:30 to get to Macchu Picchu, you will probably be awake until they leave.

But, all in all, a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ajimsojka
Reviewed 19 September 2010

I stayed at Hotel Rumi Punku in December 2009 for about 10 days. It has a perfect location, is a beautiful building and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Overall, I loved staying there and would certainly stay there again the next time I am in Cusco!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo