“Great Hotel, genuinely worth three stars”
Review of Hotel Rumi Punku

Hotel Rumi Punku
Ranked #18 of 170 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 26 October 2010

The Rumi Punku, is set in a quiet area of Cusco but within easy reach of the main square, San Blas, shops, etc.

We had the opportunity to stay in three different rooms, due to us using it as a base in between trips. We found the rooms to be in good condition, clean and have comfortable beds.

Structurally the hotel is interesting with rooms located over three floors looking in on a series of courtyards and verandas, these are decorated with plans and ornaments with plenty of chairs and tables making this a relaxed and attractive environment .

The hotel also benefits from the addition of a separate internet room, with four computers.

A good quality buffet breakfast is served in an attractive dining area over a very flexible time period.

We found all staff very friendly, courteous and extremely helpful.

1  Thank gView
There are newer reviews for Hotel Rumi Punku

Reviewed 24 October 2010

The service at our arrival was good, we were offered a coca tea as we filled out the registration forms in the lobby and received a map and directions to the Plaza de Armas.
The hotel grounds are really very nice, with fountains and great decoration.
The room was clean, but rather small; I was surprised by the single sized beds.

I didn't make a lot of research for hotels in Cusco.
After seeing the hotel in the fifth place here and reading some reviews I went for it.
So it was okay for the one night we stayed here, but for a longer stay I would reconsider.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2010

We stayed at Rumi Punku for 3 nights both before and after our Inca Trail Hike. We found the hotel to be beautiful, the breakfast was excellent and the front desk staff was suburb. They have free internet and a beautiful courtyard. The beds were very comfortable and the bathrooms were modern and showers had good pressure. We always wear earplugs when we travel, otherwise there were several dogs barking that you could hear from time to time at night. They also said they would pick us up at the airport and were not there, but came once we called them. However, we would highly recommend this hotel and stay here again!

Reviewed 22 October 2010

It's hard to dislike Rumi Punku, or at least the communal areas. The flower-infested courtyards are a delight, as is the high-ceilinged dining room/lounge with its eccentric mix of the colonial, the indigenous and the modern (and a bizarre collection of antiques, ranging from old rifles to old-fashioned typewriters). Most of the staff are efficient, although we found the receptionists rather unfriendly.

So what's not to like? The main disappointment are the rooms, which are small and dark with only a small window overlooking the courtyards - if you want privacy, it's better to keep the curtain shut. And although the hotel is quiet, this is not because of good soundproofing. Rather, everywhere you go, there are harshly-worded signs telling guests to "be quiet". So when you do hear a noise, whether it's a dog barking in the distance, or another guest slamming their door, it feels like they're in the room with you. Irritatingly, the central heating wasn't on much, considering how cold it can get in Cusco. Initially, I objected to paying an extra charge of $20 for us to use the spa - on top of room rates of $90 or $120 - but at least we got it to ourselves.

On the whole, it's a nice hotel, if overpiced for Peru (I've had suites with ocean views and a jacuzzi in the room for less). And this is probably because the hotel managment have kept a decent level of service year after year, so that recommendations in guide books and websites have kept the guests flowing in. And when demand succeeds supply, increase the price. I'm sure there's somewhere just as nice for half the price in Cusco, I haven't seen it in any of the guidebooks.

1  Thank dungenessa
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Good location, up a quiet street but only a 5 minute walk to the central square of Cusco. Nice-ish rooms and en-suite facilities and very friendly and helpful staff. Good buffet breakfast. Free wi-fi.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at Rumi Punku for six days, one of which was my birthday. My mother contacted the Rumi Punku staff to ask if there was anything special they could do for my birthday... So, on the morning of my birthday I walked into the breakfast room to find a bouquet of flowers, a lovely birthday cake complete with candles, a gift, and the entire staff as well as guests singing "Happy Birthday". When my mother attempted to pay for all of this, the hotel staff refused (paid out of their own pockets) and even took a picture of my husband and me to send to my family back in the States. In addition to this overt-the-top kindness for my birthday, the Rumi Punku staff were always courteous, efficient, and helpful. It was the nicest place we stayed during our entire three-week stay in Peru.

Reviewed 18 October 2010

This hotel is located a few short streets north of the main plaza. Quiet street at night, but a good variety of restaurants and grocery stores just down the block.
The hotel is very attractive, with an Inca front entrance and public areas decorated with an eclectic collection of antiques, flowers and fountains. There is free high speed internet in the business center, with the best computers and connections I came across in Cusco. Breakfast was good: a collection of meats, breads, fruit, and some excellent juices. Eggs could be cooked to order, although I did not take advantage of this myself.
The rooms I had (two stays, bookending my Machu Picchu trip) were clean and functional. Great beds, good bathrooms, and a small TV suspended from the ceiling.
I did have two problems with my stays. In both cases, I think the problems would be the same with any hotel in Cusco- so they may not be actual problems with this hotel. First, the walls were paper thin. I could clearly hear conversations and TV in adjacent rooms. This hotel is built from an old central courtyard style home, like most hotels in this part of town. It may be that they are all constructed similarly. Second, the heat was only turned on at night, and I found the rooms to be a bit cold when I came back to them soaked from the October rains. Plenty of warm blankets, so I slept well.
To summarize, I think the hotel is very nice and a good value. I suspect the aspects I did not like would be found in any small hotel in Cusco, so I would plan accordingly.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo