All reviews exposed beams hot water garden room eggs granola surrounding mountains sister property space heater coca tea charming place inca trail machu picchu few blocks lots of character couple blocks main plaza comfortable beds
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Pros:
-Nice house-rooms
-Small garden
-Great communal room
-Great staff
-Walking distance to plaza de Armas downhill
-Great balcony view
-Honest: they forgot to give us our change and made a wire to our bank the next day!!!

Cons:
-Uphill walk back to hotel
-Noise from the street for some rooms (13-14 for exemple)
-Rooms very unheavenly distributed- some big, some small, some smelly, some great
-Depending on your room, it can seem pricey

BEWARE!: Travel agent inside the hotel!!! "stole" or "obtained" my email address from the hotel and harrassed me via email to sell me tours before we arrived. This is an illegal pratice in Peru regulated by INDECOPI (consumers protection agency)

Overall: We enjoyed our stay. We had hot water, clean bed, great view. Would go back.

Room Tip: if sleep sensitive, avoid room 13-14 as they are noisy. Room 9 is small and a bit smelly.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mariehp
Reviewed 5 December 2012

if you want a place with character, great views, and quiet, choose El Balcon. It has a great breakfast and we loved the staff. We had some problems with hot water one night, and a poor tv connection another, but just telling them meant it would be fixed and that means everything. The travel agency associated with it, Green Peru Adventures, can offer you great advice and we found Roland to be very knowledgeable and honest about what we could expect and what he recommended. The view from El Balcon is great, it's like living in a garden and museum, quite lovely! We did have an issue with the price creeping up but pointing it out fixed that, just a warning.

Room Tip: top floor has best views but there are a few more stairs
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I highly recommend this hotel in Cusco. The site is beautiful. The staff is super accomodating. Prices are slightly higher for the area, but worth it for what you get. A staff member of the hotel met my flight and picked me up from the airport to get me to the hotel. They had a full breakfast included each day with all day tea service (Mate de Coca for altitude ease). Dinner was also available if one wanted. I loved everything about my stay there!

Room Tip: We had the Premium Family room which was 2 rooms with 3 beds total for $145 per night. This gave us a little privacy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I stayed here twice on work trips and was always very happy - the rooms are large and the balcony setting atmospheric - I wouldn´t recommend it for families with toddlers though.
The breakfast is very good, but even better is the room it is served in - a great place to also chat or even work in the evenings.
Since there are only a few rooms it can fill up easily, but that also means that the hotel never seems crowded.
It is in a hidden steep street - away from the noise in the centre, but easy to get to the main square on foot only a few blocks down.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank gerhardbuttner
Reviewed 26 October 2012

What a great place. Minutes away from the Center of town, but yet totally peaceful. What a fantastic view of the city from the balcony . Friendly and very helpful staff for whatever questions we had. Good food. A beautiful garden, very nicely decorated rooms and comfortable beds. They stored our luggage for free and we could travel light to Machu Pichu and other places, but we always came back to our "home away from home". I highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: Beautiful panoramic views from the upstairs balcony rooms
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends