“Quaint rooms but don't book their tours”

Los Apus Hotel & Mirador
Ranked #17 of 171 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I stayed here before and right after going to Machu Picchu. The rooms were very nice here, but even though I asked for a quiet room and probably got the one furthest away from the lobby, I could still hear noise. They nicely took my suitcase up the stairs for me, though the check-in clerk wasn’t that fluent in English. Soundproofing is not a strongpoint of this hotel. The rooms were quaint, though, with plenty of hot water.
I got in late one night, and I asked what time the kitchen closed. I think the cook was leaving in 15 minutes or so, but he agreed to make something for me. Great customer service there. I ordered soup, and it was pretty good. Breakfast was also good and included in the rate.
The location was good, not too far from the main square.
One of the main reasons I booked this hotel was that they offered free airport pickup and drop-off. I was a solo female traveler in South America for the first time. I was paranoid, and I’d heard horror stories about Cuzco taxi drivers. When I got to the airport, I was expecting the hotel to have a van like I saw Rumi Punku had. They did not. I was eventually met by a young woman who just hailed a normal taxi there. Initially this kind of freaked me out a bit and I wasn’t sure I wanted to go with her. Okay, that was embarrassing. Just a heads-up for those of you looking for a formal hotel shuttle at the airport.
Also, I had emailed before I came to set up a Sacred Valley tour. I got a confirmation for this. When I got asked the morning it was supposed to be, the check-in clerk had no knowledge of this and it was unclear whether I would get to go or not. I did. But the tour operator they hire is bad and consistently tries to rip off the tourists by clearly going to places where he gets commissions. He wouldn’t let us spend more than 15 minutes at the Pisac market, but we had time to go to a “weaving demonstration” where they charged $40 USD for the same throw I bought at the Pisac Market for $15 USD. We also had time to stop at a tourist market where goods were also extremely overpriced. The lunch that was included was very good, but they didn’t tell us that we had to pay 8 soles for the drinks until we were leaving! 8 soles for an orange juice in the SV is a major rip-off. Also, the information materials at the hotel said the SV tour included a hotel drop-off, but we were all just dropped off in Cuzco’s center square. This was after dark. Luckily I had brought along a map of Cuzco, but I was very uncomfortable trying to find my way in a strange city after dark. Whatever you do, don’t book the SV tour through the hotel!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 January 2012

Nice budget accomodation, was noisy as our room was just next to reception and breakfast area. location is good 5min walk to main plaza but uphill so did feel out of breath. Will def recomend to everyone.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Location 10 minute walk to Plaza. Rooms with unique stone and plaster walls, floors of hardwood plank, bathrooms with well maintained tile. Hardwood plank is issue with noise from above when people clomp about with boots. Plenty of wall storage to hang clothes. Beds and sheets comfortable with feather pillows. Water takes over 5 minutes to warm up--I would have liked the temp to be a little hotter--but still warm enough for shaving. Some rooms do not have bathtubs. Breakfast outstanding, 3 types of juices, multiple breads with meat and cheese, eggs prepared as requested, yogurt, cereal all served between 5 am and 10 am. Hot coca tea available around the clock for altitude sickness. Wifi worked well with no extra charges. They stored our suitcases during Inca Trail and were in room on return. The hotel is safe and secure and airport transportation was included. One negative was the laundry was suprisingly expensive in US dollars. Would not hesistate to book this hotel again!

Room Tip: More steps to climb for top room, but then no issues of hearing shoes on hardwood floors in the earl...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We had an excellent stay at Los Apus Hotel & Mirador. We visited twice, before and after our trip to Aguas Calientes, and both rooms we stayed in were comfortable, quiet, and very clean. The bathrooms have plenty of hot water and even bath tubs, which was a big bonus, especially after all the hiking we did before we arrived. All rooms come with cable tv and the hotel itself is a short walk to the main square and Cusco sights. Breakfast is tasty and offers plenty of options.
This hotel is meticulously run: our reservations were found swiftly and accurately, they had even put our left luggage ready for us in our room after our return from Aguas Calientes. Cabs were arranged quickly and the staff did everything else to make this a perfect stay. It was advertised that the hotel is "Swiss Managed" whenever possible: on the menus, the door, and even the little bars of soap in the bathroom, which was funny. Maybe that explained their meticulous organization.
The only comments I have is that the rooms are a little dark and the staff could be a little more welcoming. They were all very professional but lacked some in warmth at times. Other than that: we could not have asked for anything else.

Room Tip: If you enjoy a good soak, ask for a room with a bath tub, not all of the rooms have one. We also wer...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Off the top, Los Apus is extremely well-run. It is a comfort to go to a hotel without any issues over reservations, and where things are done by the book. The rooms here are quite cozy, although some can be a tad dark. Heaters are standard in each one, as is a bathtub(!) for easing those post-hike pains. Breakfast is great and the staff is extremely professional.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony for a little more light and a view.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed at Los Apus for 5 nights in late December, 2011. We found the rooms to be very cozy and clean. Each room is different and has a local, even quaint European look to it. There's great cable tv. It's only about a 10 minute walk to the main plaza and there are lots of restaurants and shops along the way, including a laundry and shoe repair just down the block. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating.

Room Tip: Each room is different. We enjoyed 207, 303, and 201.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 December 2011

We got the best welcome at Los Apus. With a short walk distance to Plaza Armas, its well located.
We stayed 2 nigths. One before and one after our Inca Trail tour.
The staff gave us great service. The breakfast was excellent.
This hotel have definetly the best value for money.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple