“A place that really does deserve all these great ratings”
Review of Royal Frankenstein

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cusco
Royal Frankenstein
Ranked #18 of 463 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
“A place that really does deserve all these great ratings”
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Stayed here only very briefly but Royal Frankenstein lives up to the rave reviews.

The excellent owner Ludwig arms his guests with info including multiple maps and recommendations on where to eat. He easily spent 20 minutes giving me the lowdown on the city--how great is that?!

The room itself was cozy and the place is blessedly quiet. You definitely won't be woken up by partiers or outside noise here. The shared bathroom was basic but clean.

So to recap: nicest hostel owner I've met in past 6 months of travel and solid accommadations.

• Stayed November 2012

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Korean first
Lima
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Only a short walk from the Plaza de Armas and located in a quiet courtyard made Royal Frankenstein the ideal place to stay. I was given a friendly welcome and a wealth of information by Ludwig, the owner, when I first arrived, and this continued throughout my stay. The communal area is a really relaxed and cosy space, with cable TV, an equipped kitchen and - best of all - a blazing fire in the evenings. My room was downstairs, so was warm at night and really quiet - I was never disturbed by people coming and going like at so many hostels.

Shower water was hot and the bathrooms and kitchen were also kept very clean. Tea and coffee as well as a large fridge make it easy to prepare meals, for those on a budget. I also went away to Machu Picchu for a couple of nights before returning to Cusco and although I only left a few items behind, Ludwig will happily store backpacks and bulkier luggage.

A wi-fi connection is available, though as I didn't have a computer used the Internet at the reception desk instead. As the hostel is quite small there is little demand for this, so waiting was never a problem.

Royal Frankenstein is a great, quirky find of a hostel and definitely contributed towards my positive experience of Cusco. Recommended.

For more information on Peru and Lima, check out my blog: http://lettersfromlima.wordpress.com/

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room downstairs - being next to the warm fire definitely made a difference.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Ontario
Reviewed 3 September 2012

When I first came here, the hostal was completely full. The owner was very friendly and let me use his phone to call hostals around Cusco. Before I left he was kind enough to give me a few maps and explain the city to me, even tho I wasnt going to stay there. Amazing guy. 5 days later I finished a trail to machu pichu and made a reservation for here. I booked the matrimonial room, which was on the top floor. For 65 soles, it was roomy and clean, but it was too cold. I instead asked to switch to the junior room on the first floor which was half the price and right next to the fireplace. The shared showers are in very good condition. Actually hot water, clean, and with a 15minute limit. The lobby is interestingly decorated. Lots of spookish props but also nice flowers and natural light coming in. The kitchen is very small but enough to get some cooking done. He even lets you use some of his spices. There is a big friendly dog Bruno that you can scratch. Good location to the main Plaza and very close to San Pedro market. Overall the place is very welcoming, friendly, nice to sleep, good for a budget and would definitely recommend it for backpackers.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vlade09
philadelphia
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I stayed5 nights at this place and enjoyed all of it. I stayed at the topmost floor. The room was clean and had abundant sunlight. I had a private bathroom with hot shower and Wi-Fi with great access speed in my room. The hostal is only a couple of blocks away from the Plaza de Armas - the location is therefore unbeatable! The owner is very knowledgeable about Cusco. He is extremely helpful and accessible almost 24 hours! And, I paid 65 soles per night for all the above (breakfast not included). I would definitely stay at this place if I were to re-visit Cusco.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms in the top floor!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My wife and I stayed at 3 different hostels during our stay in Cusco and this was definately the best! We stayed in one of the top floor ensuite rooms which were spotless clean, bed was comfortable, the room is very spacious and there is hot water in the shower. The owner, Ludwig, is always friendly and willing to help in finding good places to eat. The common area has an open fire place which is very cozy and welcoming in the chilly evenings. The hostels location couldn't be better, slightly off the main plaza, yet quiet and safe. Although there is no breakfast, there are quite a few cafes nearby, and the hostels price is worth it even when you add the price of a breakfast outside. Best value for money in Cusco, which can be quite overpriced.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stayed at the Royal Frankenstein for almost two weeks. The owner Ludwig was very helpful. He gave me a lot of information about Cusco when I arrived and he was always happy to give me feedback on hikes and restaurants. He kept the place very clean and also had a great laundry service. I stayed in a single room with shared bathroom but the bathrooms were always available and clean. I really loved the ambiance of the hostel. It had everything; good wifi, warm water, great location near the plaza and a very friendly owner. If you are looking for a place in Cusco, the Frankenstein is a great place to stay! Also,it was very affordable.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Laura L
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This quirky hostel was the best we stayed at on our trip through Southern Peru. At first I was reluctant to do the "shared bathroom" thing, but the owner keeps everything spotless and the showers here were hotter than our private bathrooms at the other hostels, and there was never a wait. There's a shared kitchen area, a computer with internet access, movies, books, and tons of odd art work and creepy yet homey style. It's location is safe and ideal for easy walking access to the central plaza, cathedral, shopping and food. At night there is a fire going which heats the place up nicely and adds a cozy feeling for hanging out in the common area. We would definitely stay here again if we returned to Cusco.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple